Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107307 times)

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10650 on: February 11, 2011, 08:50:03 am »

My tower built of ice continues to rise... Stupid winter won't come fast enough!
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10651 on: February 11, 2011, 10:34:25 am »

My heart almost stopped when a giant arrived.

He was promptly beheaded by my militia commander. Exactly the same thing happened to the Cyclops that came along a while back.

He's armed in almost full masterwork steel. (First strange mood being an armorsmith=WIN)

He's beheaded a cyclops and a giant with his trusty (bismuth bronze battle axe), which for the record he also saved the forts ass with when we ran out of wood and my woodcutter died.

This fort has been... Boring. Only had some stupid deaths at the start, for example when I forgot that one channeled square won't keep the volcano from overflowing and flooding the entire crafting area.

Managed to avoid that by channeling like 8 squares and building a wall around the area. No deaths... Then my legendary miner decides to jump down into the lava for no reason. Also, I think I bugged my second strange mood; I accidentally forbade the one item he had taken into the workshop to work his magic on.

He stood still for like... 2 years or something, then went berserk and was torn apart by my war dogs.

Edit: Hurr, Can't make steel any more :/

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:46:47 am by Dachande »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10652 on: February 11, 2011, 11:34:42 am »

23a Fort Tombamaze, Year 2

A soldier died while sparring. Humans came with their wagons. Some stockpiles. Basic stuff.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10653 on: February 11, 2011, 12:01:49 pm »

Seriously, guys, make sure the only way to access the crundle-filled cavern is via a catwalk with a magma pool on one side and a sheer cliff on the other.  It's fun!
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10654 on: February 11, 2011, 12:42:43 pm »

A forgotten beast made of fire has entered the caverns.  He is currently hanging out in the lowermost cavern layer, boiling away the underground lakes and creating clouds of steam.

I am intrigued by the engineering possibilities this suggests.  I think I will attempt to catch him and then build either a water reactor or a heated bath of some sort based around him.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10655 on: February 11, 2011, 01:19:15 pm »

counsiledmines is half way towards having its magma moat up and ready. it will be a long time before it is fully capable of being a barrier to invaders, but on the bright side, it will provide a near surface magma source when it is finished to clense the battlefeild of goblin trash.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10656 on: February 11, 2011, 04:35:20 pm »

Colonization : 3000

The Colonial leader has mandated that three handguns be made. A noble who cares for his fortress! I've gotten to work on it, but I wonder if he forgot we don't have the manpower to wield these weapons.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10657 on: February 11, 2011, 05:18:08 pm »

An hour's work, and then Windows decides that, unbeknowst to me (I was in full-screen mode), it'll do its update restart!   :'(

The amount of times this has happened to me. Its infuriating!
I'd like to find the guy at Microsoft that thought it would be a good idea to make a computer shut down randomly like that. I would like to find him and punch him full in the face. See how brilliant he thinks his idea is then, huh?

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10658 on: February 11, 2011, 05:25:22 pm »

Just carving out a meeting hall, about to start on my wall.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10659 on: February 11, 2011, 05:56:17 pm »

An hour's work, and then Windows decides that, unbeknowst to me (I was in full-screen mode), it'll do its update restart!   :'(
Yeah, Windows tried to pull that crap on me this morning. Adobe, too.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10660 on: February 11, 2011, 06:23:50 pm »

Founded Chaoshelm in the frozen glacier to the far north.  The glacier itself is evil and extremely savage, almost immediately after making initial camp my dwarves were set upon by skeletal Yetis (about eight to ten of them by the time things were done).  We held them off well for a while until we ran out of bolts and they charged in.  They were able to kill one of my hunters and wound my other two militia as well as some of the dogs.

As of now we are scrambling to finish constructing a wall to keep further attacks out as well as dig down to get out of the cold and create a basic shelter both for our wounded and, before long, our dwarves themselves. 

So taking stock, we have already lost one of our seven dwarves, suffered injuries that while not completely debilitating will require treatment eventually and still have not secured our site... And its only been a few months...

ETA: Aaaaaand two more deaths (the rest of my militia), as well as all but one of my dogs, still haven't dug down deep enough to find stone.. Not looking good.

ETA2: Abandoned... :(

-MB
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:40:21 pm by Mickey Blue »

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10661 on: February 11, 2011, 06:50:11 pm »

"Delf" Koltomus, Steelsmith has created Sebshoslensham, a raw candy ring!

This is a raw candy ring.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is encrusted with raw candy and and encircled with bands of raw candy and grizzly bear bone.
On the item is an image of war elephants and dwarves in raw candy.  The war elephants are fighting with the dwarves.  The artwork relates to the attack of The Worthy Deer on The Strong Diamond in the Fortunate Forest in the midautumn of 12 during Lisid Kivish , "The Clash of Lancers."

:'( What a waste of three pieces of raw candy...  Well, on the plus side, it's worth a whopping 1201200 Urists, making it my most valuable artifact yet!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Shrapull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10662 on: February 11, 2011, 06:51:15 pm »

Dr. Lisa Cuddy, M.D., died in today's siege.  A slab has been made for her, and she will be buried with full honors in the warrior's hall.  RIP.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10663 on: February 11, 2011, 06:58:26 pm »

Fullcups of Ale crashed because...  I'm not really sure.  I just don't have the spirit to restart the entire year, especially since I was writing up a lot of information about each dwarf.  The heartbreak of having completly new dwarves would just...  be too much.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10664 on: February 11, 2011, 07:04:30 pm »

Round II, Same Terrifying Glacier (not a reclaim):

Again, immediately attacked by skeletal Yetis, we killed a few and escaped to a more defensible position (between two spires of ice), we dug down into the ice itself and are in the process of walling off between the spires for defense.. Unfortunately we've encounted an aquifer (I assumed it would freeze.. But it hasn't..) so we'll have to deal with that, however before that I'm going to attempt to get my dwarves underground and safe, at least for now.

-MB
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 3842