Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107517 times)

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10575 on: February 06, 2011, 05:14:45 pm »

Cyclops circling my walls.  Elf merchants are trapped inside at the depot.  A couple months have ticked by so far.  We will see if the the one eyed beast wonders off before the pointy eared devils go whacko.  Time to start walling in the depot.
Ancient Avatar

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10576 on: February 06, 2011, 05:16:34 pm »

My fort has been going for about a two years, but I've only gotten a handful of migrants, totaling to 15 dwarves. I built much bigger in anticipation, but now I'm stuck with a fort that barely has enough hands to run itself. I'm trying to mass produce wealth in order attract some more dwarves, so hopefully I'll have more dwarves before invaders knock on my door.
check your civ. It's probably dead.

Actually, after playing for about 30 more minutes, I got a massive 20-dwarf migrant wave. Things are running much more smoothly now. Nothing to do now but finish the keep and ready a proper militia.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10577 on: February 06, 2011, 05:20:36 pm »

War elephant bomb. Elf ambush. My 30 mildwarves stand back and laugh.

Also, random crashing. Grrr.
This is a blank sig.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10578 on: February 06, 2011, 08:08:12 pm »

End of the second year, rolling in steel gear. Got a five dorf squad layered up to the eyeballs. Docs had their first run, stitching up a lost ear. Marksdorf squad is in training. 44 dorfs and counting.

We have sustainable food, quality beds, a no nonsense dining room and a decent militia.

Oh, and a couple of eagles.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10579 on: February 07, 2011, 12:55:59 am »

I sent a couple of my squads to kill some Camels wandering near the edge of the map.  They get done, and as they're turning to head back, "A vile force of darkness has arrived!"  One man gets surrounded by gobbos as I call the rest of them back to prepare for more vileness to arrive.  Army waits for a few days as the lone Speardwarf survives a pummeling from 7 sides... no more invaders?  I send the army to kill them and right after the last one dies, Urist McPoorFella has suffocated.

His combat report was pages and pages of bruising and tearing, but he lived to see his attackers slaughtered, albeit while evidently choking on his own blood.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10580 on: February 07, 2011, 02:47:45 am »

Just abandoned Deatharches.  Volcano, woodland, brook, dolomite - everything a dwarf could want.

Despite having coal, magnetite and flux, steel production was fraught, as the industry never quite gelled... Despite all on [r], always running pout of one component at the worst time...

But despite a kick-arse wall and cage traps coming out my ears, I was killed seven times by goblins, scumsaving each time, to see if I could survive any longer.  Nope.  Incompetent militia, dwarves falling down holes into the reservoir and a horse foal killing TWO animal trainers, it was as though the fortress was cursed, or at least, living up to it's name.

And just before it crumbled, a gemcutter did manage to produce a nice opal window, so it didn't all go wrong...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10581 on: February 07, 2011, 05:51:51 am »

Oh come on, you had a volcano there. You could have locked down everything, then used magma.

Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10582 on: February 07, 2011, 06:57:11 am »

Oh glorious day! Queen Likot Syrupplayed has come to counciledmines, the mountain home of the warm hammers!
she has absalutely no likes or dislikes.

Her entourage included a pair of hammer lords and a spear lord. who have gone into the regement of The Feral Guilds to join its resident hammer lord and Pickaxe Lord? also who came were the royal armour and weaponsmith legendarys who join my resident trio to forge the goods of the fortress.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:59:08 am by Karakzon »
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10583 on: February 07, 2011, 11:28:04 am »

I'm about to abandon my best fort to date. Had successful metal, cloth, craft and food industries running with 30-40 spare idlers. I savescummed after entering fairyland (wanted to see it for myself) - my military isn't up to the job because I've survived against all sieges thus far with entertaining traps. I captured uninvited guests and used them to dispose of stragglers. Graphically.

I'm not sure what I plan to do differently in my next fort - maybe play a challenge or find a megaproject, or go military... Just fed up of the semi-utopia I'm currently living in and don't want to force my rich, happy, fat dwarves into the 5-man military to challenge the fairies. Maybe I'll experiment with siege engines.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10584 on: February 07, 2011, 01:37:20 pm »

Part 60 of my LP is up.

I'm so confused right now. The goblins didn't launch any ambushes, and instead jumped right to sieges. I assumed they just didn't send ambushes for some reason. Then right after the siege left the ambush comes. Why haven't they sent one before? Why did they send one so soon? It feels like the game is just looking for new ways to fuck with me.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10585 on: February 07, 2011, 02:31:39 pm »

ouch.
try marksdwarves.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10586 on: February 07, 2011, 07:57:59 pm »

Wondered if ambushes were ever going to show. Almost a million created wealth and finally some action. 5 poor swordgobbos got cut in half.

1 had his head removed by a bolt from the caravan guard.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10587 on: February 07, 2011, 08:55:51 pm »

If I start a fort and part of the river is frozen, but temperature turned off in the init. Then turn temperature back on after saving; will the ice melt during summer/spring?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10588 on: February 07, 2011, 09:01:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #10589 on: February 07, 2011, 09:11:12 pm »

Busttown is anything but bust! 4 babies, no ambushes yet, setting up a danger room, magma smelters and tree farm and only 2 deaths.
5 babies now, and 3 were born to my seemingly exceptionally horny stonecrafter.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:14:43 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 3842