Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107663 times)

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10530 on: February 05, 2011, 11:17:09 am »

I'm probably a bit late but I'm not entirely sure farming is supposed to involve fire.

The worst part is, since trees don't catch on fire, only grass, that Slash 'n' Burn Farming doesn't even work!
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10531 on: February 05, 2011, 11:27:47 am »

last time i meddle magma with flat forest land got me elven warning followed by siege shortly.
never want to do that again    :(

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10532 on: February 05, 2011, 11:40:27 am »

I just found out my wounded mechanic was given an adamantine suture.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: February 05, 2011, 11:50:38 am »

Ooh, first seige at Blackpit! An alligator-riding Noldo spearman leading about a dozen archers. My ill-equipped, three-strong militia can't possibly handle this, so the drawbridge is up. Hopefully I won't starve...may have to butcher my way through some puppies.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10534 on: February 05, 2011, 11:51:01 am »

after i get decent amount of dwarf, like second spring or summer, i only make militia work out door, with gears on, so in the worst case senario, i'd get a dwarf (possibly) went in matial trance and slaughtering two thirds of the ambush party before being taken down or fallen by exertion.
and besides,wood cutting is great for axedwarf as it trains willpower and spatial sense(many labours train that though); herbalist and fishdwarf are really good labours to train focus for crossbowdwarf, not to mention hunter being even better.
Attributes are trainable? I thought those were simply inherent.
When a dwarf uses a skill (and gains experience in that skill), they also gain points in physical and mental attributes. If you disable or lessen skill/attribute rust, your dwarves might become better for some military roles by doing civilian jobs. Also, haulers with decent strength and high agility move stuff around your fort faster.

See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Attribute#Skills_and_associated_attributes
"Intimidation and Comedy, social skills, raise Agility. Dwarven comedy is slapstick/clowning, not stand-up."

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: February 05, 2011, 12:04:05 pm »

Ok, this is odd. Thieves have turned up in the middle of the seige, and they are stealing the arrows out of the elves' quivers!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10536 on: February 05, 2011, 12:12:49 pm »

Daylight robbery, from elves no less.

Those elves need to lay off the rat weed.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: February 05, 2011, 12:15:05 pm »

What? Those are some sweet thieves.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: February 05, 2011, 12:15:22 pm »

Ok, this is odd. Thieves have turned up in the middle of the seige, and they are stealing the arrows out of the elves' quivers!
who the hell what those wooden arrows anyway?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: February 05, 2011, 12:16:48 pm »

They're going to sell them to the dwarves, because dwarves find killing elves with them hilarious. At least MY dwarves do.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10540 on: February 05, 2011, 12:19:04 pm »

Or the kobolds are making fences out of them
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10541 on: February 05, 2011, 12:24:46 pm »

The problem might be with my modding. The petty dwarf entity has the same thieving behaviour as the vanilla kobolds, but they can talk. So I think they're not counted as hostile to the Elves. They don't get revealed when they move next to them, which is what usually happens when different invaders ambush each other, they don't attack each other, and I've had no "skulking filth" messages, just "A thief has stolen...".

And the elves are carrying proper steel weapons...another few bundles of arrows gone, and the petty dwarves will be sending ambushers too...

ArcticRabite

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10542 on: February 05, 2011, 12:32:57 pm »

Dwarven swimming lessons.  And every dwarf failed.  Selected a site in the desert to explore all the aspects of glassmaking.  Hot with no rainfall listed and no aquifer.  So I drain one of the two decent sized puddles into an underground cistern and took my time plugging the hole (my mistake).  That year marked the beginning of what was at least a 2 year rainstorm, which slowly flooded my fort due to water now preventing me from blocking the hole off.

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10543 on: February 05, 2011, 12:37:31 pm »

Ha, these elves aren't having much luck. The alligator the leader was riding on just jumped into a murky pool. The leader couldn't swim  :)

Shrapull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10544 on: February 05, 2011, 01:41:58 pm »

I was locked in a massive, ongoing siege.  The goblins were not budging, my traps were all exhausted and the trolls were knocking at my doors.  Action had to be taken.

Well, one of my dwarves named "Faramir of Gondor", who is a decent dodger, armor user, marksdwarf, swordsdwarf, etc. (fairly mild on training for military things, keep in mind I'm a new-ish player and hence military was a late thought for me) rushed out per my orders during a troll and goblin siege to valiantly defend the hapless woodcutters being cut down in the open, as well as pushing back the invaders.  His men were quickly killed by 6-7 goblins, who then turned on Faramir.  He dueled with all copper armor and weapons against a single goblin using iron, who made his right lung, left lung, right kidney, left kidney, pancreas, stomach, heart, liver and guts all turn blue, and all of his spine and both legs completely red.  Faramir was listed as unconscious, exhausted, thirsty and hungry, but continued to be beaten by this goblin.  For ten agonizing in-game minutes, more and more goblins swarmed Faramir, until they became TIRED from beating on him, and seven goblins surrounded him, stabbing, piercing and punching him even though he should have been dead. 

I could no longer take this, so I enlisted all of my 19 remaining dwarves, with no fighting skills, to grab whatever armor they could muster and charge forth unto the breach.  They would die with honor on the blood-soaked battlefield, which now coated over 60 tiles and flowed into the nearby river.  Vomit, severed limbs and discarded items were scattered amongst the corpses.  Seventy dwarves and thirty goblins, mostly killed from traps and my pathetic militia, were littered over the bloodstained grass.  My brave peasants rushed out into the chaos, punching and wrestling the goblins who swarmed Faramir, their taskmaster armed with a whip and brutally tearing away his flesh.

After several minutes of brawling, three-quarters of my militia had died.  6 dwarves remained, including the diagnoser, "Dr. Gregory House", who tried in vain to stop the bleeding from Faramir.  The 'Siege' banner at the top of my fortress was lifted, and just as it left, Faramir passed away, the hero and martyr of the fortress.  When I finally pressed k to inspect the tile where Faramir had died, I found that he had killed the goblin standing over him and severed its left arm, and was covered in 30 spatterings of blood, fifteen stray limbs and seven arrows.

Note to self: make better armor. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:44:14 pm by Shrapull »
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 3842