Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122400 times)

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1050 on: January 20, 2010, 01:18:36 am »

Cloth is a really, really effective trade good - I bought out half a human caravan with cloth alone. Takes a while to make though, and I'm stuck with the same dye over and over.
I haven't even found out to make dye or be bothered with it.
When you run magma over something it gets dyed black if that counts.

Those silly traders don't seem to like magma-dyed goods as much as we do though.
b...but it's been in magma!How can they not like it.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: January 20, 2010, 01:44:58 am »

Cloth is a really, really effective trade good - I bought out half a human caravan with cloth alone. Takes a while to make though, and I'm stuck with the same dye over and over.
I haven't even found out to make dye or be bothered with it.
When you run magma over something it gets dyed black if that counts.

Those silly traders don't seem to like magma-dyed goods as much as we do though.
b...but it's been in magma!How can they not like it.

Maybe it's all that trading with the Elves.
I hear in the next version the trait [DIRTY_HIPPIE] will be a very contagious virus.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: January 20, 2010, 11:49:05 am »

Don't even need dye, no quality cloth crafts is something like 6 times the value of stone crafts.  I just start with my farmer planting rope reed, then making a farmer's workshop, loom, and craftsshop.  By summer(when my caravans come) I have enough to buy all the food they are carrying plus an anvil if I need it.  It's usually only about 20 or 25 crafts but that's worth the same as 120 crafts of plain stone.  You would probably have even more with vanilla caravans.

Sure you may stop producing now and then if you don't watch it too closely, but after the first year of production you probably have all you'll ever need.  And the more rope reed you have the longer everything just set on repeat will automate itself.  Helps get the gobbos seiging faster too.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: January 20, 2010, 12:19:25 pm »

After I got ambushed by goblins, one injured miner simply would not shut up about a goblin wrestler, and how it was interrupting his rest. (I think it was a bug with losing an eye, maybe). Anyway,  he was spamming me with thousands (yes, literally) of cancellation messages. I tried putting a wall between him and the caged gobbos nearby, but it didn't help. I was near a lake, so I decided to put him out of his misery by drowning. I undermine him so he falls to the level below, and make a water channel. Suddenly, as the water around him reaches 4/7, he springs to life and flees up the ramp. He never complained about goblin wrestlers again as he headed to the barracks to rest.

Izual6764

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: January 20, 2010, 12:49:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It finally happened... I started a fortress in a place where there are three pages of carp and two ogres. I see lots of Fun in nearest future here.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: January 20, 2010, 12:52:49 pm »

I think in future forts I'll be getting rid of excess stone as it appears, instead of waiting till my FPS has dropped to 10. This is ridiculous.

Also, I'm currently trying to grow a tower cap farm near an underground river, in a desperate bid to exploit some sand out of this sandless map before my countess starts requesting glass items.

Finally, why is it that I can only ever find Garnierite when I don't need it? Nearly two thousand tiles of gabbro excavated and I still can't find a single vein. This'll be the third time someone has suffered because nobody could get my mayor any nickel silver items

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: January 20, 2010, 01:50:19 pm »

Don't even need dye, no quality cloth crafts is something like 6 times the value of stone crafts.  I just start with my farmer planting rope reed, then making a farmer's workshop, loom, and craftsshop.  By summer(when my caravans come) I have enough to buy all the food they are carrying plus an anvil if I need it.  It's usually only about 20 or 25 crafts but that's worth the same as 120 crafts of plain stone.  You would probably have even more with vanilla caravans.

Sure you may stop producing now and then if you don't watch it too closely, but after the first year of production you probably have all you'll ever need.  And the more rope reed you have the longer everything just set on repeat will automate itself.  Helps get the gobbos seiging faster too.
I never bother with ny crafts except for metal ones. Take a bunch of tetrahedride and an anvil (plus food and booze) and by summer you'll have enough billon and silver goods to buy what you need from a caravan, and by Autumn you'll have plenty even without the goblet cheat. Trains up a somewhat more useful skill too, because metal crafters can decorate furniture with a wide variety of metals to increase room value, and metal crafts are more likely to be mandated than cloth ones.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Waffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: January 20, 2010, 01:54:53 pm »

Doing a little happy dance. Since I need to make my first magma-submerged building I decided to make it somewhat small. Guess what I dound while digging it out? Two veins of Sphalerite, a vein of malachite, five clusters of Red Glossular, a cluster of chroscolla next to a cluster of topazolite, a cluster of Tsavorite, violet spesartin-something and of course microcline.
.... I caught a snatcher with a child once that way.  Bloody odd having a cage with a thing holding a small cage inside, with a child inside that.
Yo, we heard you liked captives.  So we put a cage in your cage, so you can capture while you're capturing!

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: January 20, 2010, 04:37:44 pm »

Still working out the kinks in my trap hallway.  Stupid productive dwarves trying to pick up cage traps while goblins are still blundering through my traps.  Got a plan though.

I had a cat kill a wounded goblin.  One cat.  Took him down.  I like that cat.

Caught the local leader/elite bowman.  Must come up with a special punishment for him.  Could feed him to my dragon, but that's boring.  Maybe make a WhipIt.  Hmmmm.  Stupid cowardly civilians, I'm making some glass structures, I'd love to make a single square room on top made of clear glass and seal him in from above, but the civvies would freak out trying to build the floor over the top.  But I might be able to do something similar.

JesusAChrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: January 20, 2010, 05:10:38 pm »

It finally happened... I started a fortress in a place where there are three pages of carp and two ogres. I see lots of Fun in nearest future here.

I still have yet to see a carp.  I demand Fun!  >:(

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: January 20, 2010, 05:30:12 pm »

I still have yet to see a carp.  I demand Fun!  >:(
I have only had problems with carp once, and that was because I had stupid dwarves, who'd wade out into 5/7 water, lament that they couldn't do a given job because they were in "dangerous terrain", and refuse to climb out, even though one of them was a miner who'd dug multiple ramps out. After that, I learned how to drain and dam rivers, and item no3 on embarking by fish-infested rivers became "AIR-DROWN THEM ALL", shortly after "forge pick and axe" and "gather herbs".

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: January 20, 2010, 07:05:13 pm »

Still working out the kinks in my trap hallway.  Stupid productive dwarves trying to pick up cage traps while goblins are still blundering through my traps. 

I've had that problem and the solution I've started using is to have a "safe" section of the hallway that is free of traps (I normally have several "s" curves to my trap hallway to make it longer yet more compact).  From the safe section, you can see the entire hallway via fortifications or windows (depending on what is available... watch for bow attackers) so that when my dwarves enter the trap hallway, they are promptly scared out of it again.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: January 20, 2010, 08:05:02 pm »

My current fort is flailing about at 50-80 FPS thanks to a river with more carp than water. Some started too close to the edge and got smashed against the sides before they could move.

My woodcutter is a complete fucktard - he can hold a crossbow in one hand, and he insists on holding the bolts in the same hand. USE YOUR GODDAMN LEFT HAND YOU LAZY BASTARD. Instead I got one of my miners to hunt instead, and he started murdering groundhogs.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: January 20, 2010, 09:10:56 pm »

I just got an artifact green glass vial.

So my glassmaker made an artifact glass bottle, at least I got my second legendary glassmaker out of it. The previous one made an amulet, but heh, gonna just go with it.

Maybe the reason its an artifact is that in a parallel universe, it contains a genie. :) lol

Edit: Its pretty cheap as artifacts go, 8,400 dwarfbucks.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:14:20 pm by smjjames »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: January 20, 2010, 11:35:46 pm »

I've decided to fuck the elves. I'm in a bit of a foul mood from another game, so I figure the best way to handle it is to make a giant spike corridor on one level of my fortress lined with wooden spikes. Limit my woodcutting will you? Watch your own trees stab you up the ass. Plus I'm still pissed about them bringing me nothing but wood. Might be something fun to use against the orcs/goblins too.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 3842