Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5958664 times)

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2009, 03:44:27 pm »

Attacked by a herd of unicorns when a hunter pissed them off. -_-

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2009, 06:02:30 pm »

Awwww yeah, the dwarves just reminded me how badass they are. I had an Orc siege, about 50 strong, all flocking on my unfinished wall. I decided to wait it out, and maybe get an Orc or two with an archer (Had LOTS of copper bolts laying around). So near the end of winter, I notice the Orcs getting very close to my tower. I set up an archer (who used to be an infantry soldier before getting a spinal injury) on the edge of the unfinished wall, bout 11 stories high. She shot them rapidly, by the end killing 8 and injuring the rest. By that time, I knew it was time to go on the offensive.

I drew up the soldiers, under the command of Sheriff Kumil Stonelabored the Shameful Chants, and set them up at the gates. The lever was pulled, and the fight was on. Kumil led the charge, going straight into an Orcish officer, swiping his head off with one cry and swing. Other Orcs on the captured walls took notice, and charged toward the five men (one was asleep; I have 6 infantry and 1 archer). It looked like the end of the valiant stand for Everchannel, with 50 against 5. The odds were even, according to a former one-eyed spinal injured sheriff, Sarvesh Glazedsteel. They each bore different weapons; two swords, one hammer, one mace, one spear. The axeman was in dreamland.

They charged straight into the Orcs, led by Sarvesh, and disappeared into the brawl. I looked to see where they were, but I knew what was happening. Arms, legs, heads, flying everywhere, none belonging to a dwarf. A swarm of four of five soon laid dead at his feet. The spearman, untrained in the use of a spear, but a deadly champion yet, laid a few with wounds, and killed two. The Orcs were quickly pushed back into the narrow wall. They stood like wheat to the scythe to Kumil. He blazed through them tirelessly, not showing any wound nor fatigue. At this point, the Orcs knew they have been defeated. The Dwarves gave chase, and mopped up most that remained. A few archers, still in the brook valley, fled toward the wall to escape; right into the hands of the dwarves.

The archers did not fight, but attempted to get past them. It was no use; they were cut down, and none escaped. By the end, the few numbered Orcs remaining left to tell horrible tales of the vicious dwarves in their terrible tongue. Each of the dwarves had many kills to their name, and were given titles for their courage. No Dwarf was killed nor injured in this war, thanks to armorsmith Daton Vabokish.

The [partial] carnage:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and I caught 3 Orc wrestlers and one master spearman. What to do with them?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:06:46 pm by Vampire Penguin »

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2009, 07:07:04 pm »

How did you capture an orc? It may just be me but even sending champions in against orcs results in merciless slaughter of my dwarves. My last fort lasted 6 years before I was bored with a total military of 3 dwarves. I just drown the damn orcs, or dump them in magma. Though, it is less fulfilling after a while.

But seriously, how do you catch an orc? I assume you mean in a cage trap?

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2009, 09:29:39 pm »

How did you capture an orc? It may just be me but even sending champions in against orcs results in merciless slaughter of my dwarves. My last fort lasted 6 years before I was bored with a total military of 3 dwarves. I just drown the damn orcs, or dump them in magma. Though, it is less fulfilling after a while.

But seriously, how do you catch an orc? I assume you mean in a cage trap?

(Late reply)

I turned off their trap avoid, as goblins have mostly been wiped out, and I need prisoners for my plans for the fortress. Not many, though, so I plan to turn it back on.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2009, 09:38:45 pm »

Ah, phew. Thought I'd missed something essential there. I just started a new fort in a freezing biome and luckily chose to strike the earth right next to a magma pipe, which is right next to the brook, so in the first 2 seasons I got a magma dump trap ready for those pesky orcs, if they even decide to come this far north.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2009, 10:11:09 pm »

Started a new fort. Got a nice entrance up with a few cage traps and 20 war dogs chained along it so no thiefs get in. Had a small orc attack and one orc got caught in a cage from being knocked out on that tile. Don't know what to do with him yet. I was thinking of putting him on a single tile in the middle of my lava. I will build a single wide bridge and use that to make a single floor tile to put the cage on and then put him there and take down the bridge. That should teach them not to fuck with me.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2009, 10:58:09 pm »

Just successfully tried out my new Osgiliath-style defense where I set up a bunch of pillars and had dwarves hiding behind them. When the Gobbos ran up to them, they popped out and proceeded to massacre them. This prevents the crossbowgobs from shooting them, then, while all the gobbos are locked up in combat with the other dwarves, marksdwarves popped out of their hiding places in the upper walls, and proceeded to massacre them further. Thank you J.R.R. Tolkein for creating a scenario that allowed me to succesfully destroy goblins.

The finishing touches have been put on the temple. On occasion, I sacrifice any enemies-that aren't thrown into my prison-to Armok. The blood that results in the creature's massacring goes into the artificial stream that goes through the temple and leads into the river. I usually sacrifice things when elves are trading, so when they are going across the bridge, the river runs red with the blood.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2009, 03:27:59 am »

Well, I got a good haul of goblins, and did some decorating. The humans have sold me some copper, and stuff made of copper, so I can get a bit more value out of all my cassiterite now.  I caped my Temple to Armok. Used Rutile. I have the second lowest level as a statue garden now, hoping to find some way to get my hydra to take up residence there, without chaining him. Am working on a huge windmill farm, for no real reason other than because I can; a handful would have been enough to power everything.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2009, 06:08:14 am »

The mayor of Steelglow has just mandated the production of lead items.

I have no lead. Luckily I also have no Hammerer.

I'd build a prison, but first I need a chain. For that I'll probably need to make an extra forge (using the anvil I don't have), because one of my smiths is drawing pictures of leather. Apparently I have none in stock, and the hippies brought nothing but a mountain of cloth and a handful of berries. I'd better find that hunter that moved in a while back...

On the bright side, the perimeter wall seems to be complete at last, and the windmills for my mist generator are up and running. I'm probably going to need it...

Wait a second, I can use a rope to make the prison, can't I? *facepalm*
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 06:10:42 am by Quantum Toast »
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2009, 01:59:29 pm »

The mayor of Steelglow has just mandated the production of lead items.

I have no lead. Luckily I also have no Hammerer.

I'd build a prison, but first I need a chain. For that I'll probably need to make an extra forge (using the anvil I don't have), because one of my smiths is drawing pictures of leather. Apparently I have none in stock, and the hippies brought nothing but a mountain of cloth and a handful of berries. I'd better find that hunter that moved in a while back...

On the bright side, the perimeter wall seems to be complete at last, and the windmills for my mist generator are up and running. I'm probably going to need it...

Wait a second, I can use a rope to make the prison, can't I? *facepalm*

You can, but you might have a jailbreak. I just pimp out their cells with platinum chains, booze, beds, tables, chairs, anything you can fit in a 3x3 room. They'll be so happy, they won't want to break out Show them nobles what Dwarven justice is REALLY like. Might discourage them from calling out random mandates.

Oh, and to prevent cave adaptation, I put a hole in the center of the room leading to the surface. Keeps em happier sometimes. Now I just need a way to use them...

Paradox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2009, 02:02:20 pm »

My dorfs are building a huge fucking wall around a good part of the map to keep goblins from interfering with the construction of the Vault.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2009, 02:09:50 pm »

I've finished work on the first cloister, starting on the second soon. Plan to make a noble hotel suspended 42 Z-levels above the forest.

With a 1-wide entrance platform.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2009, 02:55:07 pm »

Icyblotch, the same fort that accidentally destroyed a human caravan, just lost an entire Elven caravan to a Goblin ambush. Sigh. Nobody's gonna ever visit this place again. Also, despite having numerous z-layers of the appropriate kind(s), I haven't been able to turn up a speck of gold or coal.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2009, 02:59:37 pm »

Well, that smith didn't get the leather he wanted, but I made sure to get the crypt ready in time. Had three more artifacts since then, though, so it could be worse.

Started digging further into the mountain in an effort to find magma. Even with charcoal, lignite and bituminous coal I'm managing to run short of fuel.

Also, I keep running short of barrels for booze. What's happening to the ones that get emptied, I don't know.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2009, 03:06:55 pm »

Another Orc siege. Human Caravan. Carnage. Didn't finish cleaning up since the last siege yet. But oh god THE BLOOD. Still killed by 3 Dwarves, who are definitely getting engraved rooms. Only one horse lived after the siege form the caravan, can you find him?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh but don't worry, the Human Guild rep made it inside before they came, so my relation with them should be alright, if not lukewarm. If only I could invite the merchants in...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 03:13:40 pm by Vampire Penguin »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 3838