Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109671 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #10035 on: January 23, 2011, 01:40:04 pm »

leaper sieges?
FD has some flying races which'd siege you. they are like normal creatures but go over walls and never actually stay anywhere airborne so I think they are more like leapers rather then flyers.

EDIT: 5th months. The 15 animals I brought so far have eaten 3 horse-equivalent of meat and they are starting to flash already. Look like I need to hunt more warthogs. The upkeep cost for them is quite taxing on my fledgling 7. I cant afford to spare some meat stack to tame the giant lions I caught earlier else I'd not have enough to feed them all!! Thanksfully wild caged animals still dont require any supplies. Still, it looks like my regular food strategy wont work with the new IM settings, this is gonna be very interesting indeed.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:03:11 pm by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10036 on: January 23, 2011, 03:13:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

YES, COME. MEET YOUR FATE.

There was another one right when I unpaused.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10037 on: January 23, 2011, 04:46:44 pm »

Outragous embark. Untamed wilds, woodland with odd mountains. Mainly flat.... BUT within my 3 by 3 I have a linear arrangement of 25/30 z-level conical spires. 3 of them running from north to south in a straight line. lots of trees. yellow sand, iron ores and flux stone. Oh, and the southern most cone is hollow and filled with MAGMA.

Large image...
This is a blank sig.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10038 on: January 23, 2011, 04:48:50 pm »

I... saw that image before.  :o
De ja vu?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10039 on: January 23, 2011, 04:51:50 pm »

defnitly. just discovred thanks to a well known "quirk" that there is lots of spoilerplace under my feet
This is a blank sig.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10040 on: January 23, 2011, 05:07:07 pm »

The dust forgotten beast probably is going to be this forts downfall. The four soldiers who fought it immediately bled to death. The disease spread quickly the siege that was routed outside by the soldiers who picked up the dead squads armor and weapons certainly didn't help. People bled to death in quick succession and the tantrum spiral kicked in. I have been slacking mainly because i've been bored with this fort so there's no central cleaning trench or civilians in clothing.
One guy stood on a stack of forgotten beast intestines tantruming and throwing single pieces in all directions (looked so funny). This is the first spiral for me on a mature fort (11 years now) and I'm having a blast.

Update:
All military dwarfs survived because death didn't bother them. One civilian also survived. 2 squads were taken off duty to help put down the coffins who our legendary mason soldier made. About 130 coffins and a slab (some guy decided to jump into the magma pool i guess) later everything was cleaned up. Another siege came and was destroyed, and some migrants arrived despite the danger \o/ (the game sure runs fast with 24 dwarfs especially if almost all have godly physical stats thanks to 11 years of training).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:25:36 pm by shlorf »

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #10041 on: January 23, 2011, 06:25:02 pm »

Update on the situation of "Weakenedsack". The population is hovering at just over fifty dorfs (with more than twice as many animals), seven of whom are miserable or worse, one of whom is the sheriff/baron consort. The previous werewolf siege had actually been driven off by well-timed (for me) demon siege along with a few illithid ambushes who then proceeded to retreat due to their own casualties. I took this chance to gather the skeletal remains of those who had been unfortunate enough to be caught outside as well as begin construction on a second outer wall in an effort to expand and more effectively fortify my above-ground perimeter. I had managed to get the wall halfway finished when I got a dusk elf diplomat who happened upon a demonic union ambush party. They were quickly dealt with by my militia commander and a few other soldiers.

Then came the ezrakim diplomat. Then the keeper diplomat. Then their respective caravans followed by an Illithid ambush in which my commander and a few other soldiers died from complications of standing on top of the brightly burning corpse of the mindflayer wrestler ambush leader after being cleared to return to base (goddamn idiots). This was particularly vexing as those who died were among the few I had thus far managed to train in my danger room (my first time attempting such a thing -- I think I might expand it so that I can train more than one at a time, even though it will take an ass-load of mechanisms).

Anyways, shortly after the caravans arrived, a force of around forty-to-fifty werewolves show up to siege my ass. Cue several minutes of panicked designating as I did my best to get all my dorfs inside and seal the exposed secondary entrance tunnel. Thankfully, I managed to achieve lockdown with only one or two extra casualties and only a single lycanthropic jackass getting in before the under-river drawbridge could close. Of course, that drawbridge wasn't the only thing between my fort and the outside world -- not at all: I had a secondary line of defense set up with a pressure plate connected to both a cage stuffed with pretty much every one of my twenty-plus war boars, war dogs, and war mastiffs and a second drawbridge, with sufficient distance between each of these three components to account for mechanical delay and intruder movement speed. The purpose of this trap was two-fold: 1.) seal any siegers out, and 2.) sic my bloodthirsty warbeasts on their asses (partly as a delaying tactic to give me enough time to scramble what few troops I have so that even if the intruder(s) should manage to kill the war beasts and re-lower the second drawbridge by stepping on the panel a second time, they still won't be getting into the fortress proper alive unless they're some kind of invincible megabeast). However, genesis werewolves are apparently [TRAP_AVOID], so that didn't work. However, that didn't save it from the weapons of the merchant guards who had managed to get inside, and it was smote in short order.

Anyways, a few weeks pass and the werewolves still aren't leaving, preferring to duke it out with illithid ambush parties in the unfinished outer walls (I'm starting to wonder if the werewolves, assorted demon-kin, and mind flayers are actually at war with each other and are just using my embark site as a battleground to settle some ancient blood-feud and merely harass my dwarves for sport in between their periodic epic clashes) so those merchants who managed to make it to the (relative) safety of my fort now have nowhere else to go after trading with me (read: after I robbed them of their shit because I am seriously not in the mood right now). So they are now roaming the halls of the "noble" village of Othilfath, slowly going insane, berserkers getting the honor of being torn limb from limb by patrolling war beasts (because I had released them and dismantled the cage and pressure plate in disgust shortly after the failure of the above trap). Thankfully, aside from a few casualties and a tantruming sheriff/baron consort, the dwarves of Weakenedsack persevere, having begun the preliminary stages of construction on a sizable legendary dining room, as well as hollowing out additional livingspaces and transferring all of the limonite, goethite, lignite, bituminous coal, magnetite, and dry peat lying around in the fort down to the magma furnaces twenty-three z-levels below the surface in preparation for operation "smelt more steel than we will ever need", partly because I am using most of my existing steel that hasn't already been converted into weapons or armor to forge thrones and tables for the aforementioned legendary dining room.

I have to say, for mass production of steel, the genesis mod's magma blast furnace is the way to go.

(On an interesting note, I started writing this post more than three hours ago, but between my sloooow typing, wanting to recount as much of what transpired since my previous post as possible, and leaving to attend a small birthday celebration for my grandmother two hours ago, it took me a crazy amount of time to finish.)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10042 on: January 23, 2011, 06:35:04 pm »

I have to say, for mass production of steel, the genesis mod's magma blast furnace is the way to go.

Not that it matters, but that's the Ironworks mod originally made for Civ Forge. Deon incorporated it with permission from Meph.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #10043 on: January 23, 2011, 06:47:22 pm »

Not that it matters, but that's the Ironworks mod originally made for Civ Forge. Deon incorporated it with permission from Meph.

Oh. That's nice to know. :) Yeah, it's especially useful because my embark is absolutely loaded with dolomite, which means plenty of steel to go around.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10044 on: January 23, 2011, 06:54:40 pm »

Spoiler in here.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10045 on: January 23, 2011, 07:02:16 pm »

Hope your next fort is even better.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10046 on: January 23, 2011, 09:11:34 pm »

The Quakes of Fire are making another attempt at expansion.  They sent seven dwarves, who insisted on being called the Large Trumpet of Cobras, out to start a new outpost in a terrifying mountain.  Once they arrived, they called it Wiredust, and started carving out a home.  They were making some progress and accepting a migrant wave when a couple of Ogresses showed up and started killing people.  After nearly the entire workforce was drafted, they managed to kill the ogresses, and started a corpse stockpile outside.
Now, the dwarves insisted on a flat, smooth entrance to the fortress.  To make this work faster, they made their miner, who was already seriously injured, to make a cave-in.  He injured himself even worse, but nobody cared, and they sent him down to the depths of the fortress to continue his work.  After getting the trade room dug out, he decided he'd had enough, so he stormed upstairs and murdered three people.

And that's where we are now...
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10047 on: January 23, 2011, 09:29:13 pm »

YES, COME. MEET YOUR FATE.

There was another one right when I unpaused.
Yeah, I'm getting that too. 8(at least) at one time, though they seem to be having a loyalty cascade. I think it has something to do with the Very Fun Place that's 28 z-levels below me.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10048 on: January 23, 2011, 09:58:03 pm »

You're getting elves zerg rushing the crap out of you?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10049 on: January 23, 2011, 09:58:17 pm »

Just had the 1st run of my new goblin execution device, the Gobo-Pult! It's a bridge on the highest zlvl, that retracts to one side, launching the gobs across the map! (theoretically) In reality (dwarfality?) the gobs just fell...right onto the top of my fort...exploding into pieces...decorating my new gold road with gobo-bits...awesome :)...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:59:48 pm by NotPete »
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 3842