Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Building destroyers and supports  (Read 2565 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Building destroyers and supports
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 12:53:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Must be something to do with webs that have already settled down. Try the bridge stuff, also, would it be possible to dump stockpiled webs onto cage traps by Dwarf?

Qrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 08:59:04 pm »

Webs can only be picked up by a dwarf on a 'collect web' job, other dwarves just simply trample and destroy them. I'm now wondering will cancelling a web collecting job make a dwarf drop the web he's been carrying and leave it intact. If this is true we can use some micromanagement to let him collect a web and when he is going through the trapped corridor cancel the job and let the web sit there for prey.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 04:17:19 pm »

Chaining anything will make it passive. My great troll gates were not only useless, but killed by a caravan. A chained GCS as bait is useless for breeding and webbing, as its dead.

I do like the idea of dropping webs onto a caged area though. Perhaps a pressure plate attached to a raising bridge can cut off access to a workshop and cancel the "collect web" job? If they drop onto a retracting bridge, you just might get webs which can be dropped. It wouldn't be particularly efficient if other dwarves, or dwarves with canceled jobs, trample the webs, so the retracting bridge might need to be on the same timer with an appropriate time offset. Otherwise, try the retracting bridge in a web farm. I've read the same suggestion, but never tried it. I assume Load Whispers has, and it didn't work, though.

Qrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 02:01:23 am »

Well I was wrong. Once a dwarf picks up a web it instantly turns into a thread. So dwarves spin web into thread on site. Since they don't seem to be carrying any spinning equipment I'll suppose it's their beard again.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 02:40:35 am »

I had a captured FB spinner not too long ago - pain in the butt getting the trap set up, but what have you. Raising bridge in front of fortifications, chain a kitten or something up right in front of its nose - plenty of webs. Nothing automated would work against him, so it meant clicking a lever every now and then, but then I wasn't in the business of trying to build a timer either.  :P

He DEFINITELY would try and web absolutely anything that pathed in range, though.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 01:31:47 pm »

Otherwise, try the retracting bridge in a web farm. I've read the same suggestion, but never tried it. I assume Load Whispers has, and it didn't work, though.

A retracting bridge works fine to web traps: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149455.msg6108068#msg6108068
Pages: 1 [2]