Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: The Tower Council [NIGHT]  (Read 5641 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: The Tower Council [DAY]
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2015, 12:23:33 pm »

I believe all there was to say about The Cult has been said: they are culturally alien, aggressive and frankly demand right that are not due to them. We have kept religion outside of the inner city since the time of our forefathers, and it has worked out to everyone best interest. I invite other Towers to vote Nay.

"Where does this come from, fellow? The religions of Ragona have always been a celebrated part of our culture, welcoming all our citizens.

On the subject of the Cult. While I do believe that they are quite unsuitable to be a part of our city lives, and the approval of a temple in the city is undesirable, especially given their... theocratic ambitions, I simply disagree with rejecting them out of hand. We have worship happening in private houses outside the city already, who is to say that we will not simply experience a rise in underground worship, which is so much harder to control and track? How are we to solve that problem?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2015, 12:32:19 pm »

There is no need to worship under ground. Every citizen is permitted to worship whomever they want- why just last week I meet a group carrying a prayer session in front of a lit shrubbery. Somehow I don't think they'll ask us to set central park on fire for them.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2015, 12:39:35 pm »

Regarding the Cult of the Black Sun, I agree with the opinion of the other Towers, but would like to offer one more argument against authorizing the Temple. Our prosperity depends on our neutrality. But if we authorize the construction of the Temple after refusing the loan to Ningard, the Empire will conclude we are siding with the Black Sun.

Now, as for the tax, I think our fellow Towers are misguided. This tax break is not a gift. It's the only way to replenish our coffers.

The previous tax break from 6 to 4% caused a boom in trade, and the Treasury is now making more from the Dock tax than ever.

With a further reduction, we can steal the trade from our concurrents, and become the center of the spice trade for the whole Carnissa Sea. Hell, we should already allocate money to expand the Treasury's vaults!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2015, 01:03:43 pm »

MASTER: "I won't approve any further projects or extravagant expenses after you all have agreed on the project of that one aqueduct."
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2015, 01:05:43 pm »

"Something which I did not vote on, your Lordship."

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2015, 01:06:44 pm »

"For the black sun, I cannot say I support such an aggressively expansionist cult gaining so much traction in so little time, and as Tower Caleb has stated, we also rely on neutrality for our prosperity.

Now, for the tax, I would wholeheartedly agree to raising it if we had the option. Since we do not, I approve f keeping it where it is. Besides, if we let the merchants hold too much sway over our policies, what is to say they would not seek to take power for themselves?"
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2015, 01:44:54 pm »

Velvet Blackridge idly fingered the rings on her left hand while the other Towers spoke.  She stood, brushing her red skirts to the side.

"On the matter of tax breaks, the recent reductions in tax have only been positive for the city's trade.  That said, I do not imagine that lowering the tax by an eighth will result in the thirteen percent increase in trade required to recoup those losses, let alone increase the quantity of tax funds being brought in.  What the docks require is not tax breaks but investment by the city in improving its facilities; adding new piers and expansion of the old shipyards.  In my considered opinion on the matter, we will see no further growth in sea trade until those matters are dealt with.  Therefore I must suggest to the Tower Council to vote Nay on this matter.

"On the matter of the Cult, I fear my views may upset my honoured cousins.  While I have no interest in such a faith myself, hearkening to the ancient and respected ways of my forefathers, the cult collects tithes, does it not?  It is the venerable history of Ragona not to unduly tax our temples and shrines, but that is a restriction that applies to our temples and shrines.  I propose we allow the Cult its temple, but exact a tax upon its practices within and without the city as a price - both gaining much-needed funds for the city treasury while forcing people away from the influence of these foreigners by dint of expense.  Therefore I recommend to the Tower Council to vote Yea on this matter, contingent upon taxing their worship to a suitably punitive degree."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2015, 01:50:58 pm »

"Well, of course a bigger tax decrease would be better, but I think a small reduction would be enough. We just need a tiny advantage to overcome the traders or Genitica and Pernalice and take over their market share."

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2015, 01:56:42 pm »

"Tower Caleb makes a good point about the sea tax. Where do you think this boom in trade came from, if not from the lowered tax? It is quite reasonable to assume that this slight decrease in tax will yield a similar proportion of increased trade. Frankly, I find it fiscally irresponsible of the Coin Master to risk long term prosperity in the pursuit of short term gains.

"Also, I can't imagine the traders would just ask for a tax break out of the blue for nothing. How do we know we're not secretly in a bidding war with our enemies? Or even if no such bidding war exists, would not diverting trade away from them through undercutting their taxes deplete them of funds with which to harm us? This is obviously an issue of great city-state security."
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2015, 02:03:10 pm »

"It is odd to describe the current tax rate as a short term gain, fellow Towers, for it is exactly the tax break that smacks of going for short term gain - if the tax break permits economic growth, it will be a short term gain at best. Trade is currently booming, hence the tax break isn't required. Once the growth slows or recedes, then we may speak of enabling trade through such measures. Right now a tax break is fiscally irresponsible simply because it is completely unnecessary for enabling further trade and it robs the city of funds that could be diverted toward, say, developing the infrastructure of the city rather than blindly pursuing uncontrolled economic growth that would invariably precipitate a recession."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2015, 02:18:56 pm »

Why don't we vote a temporary tax decrease to help our merchants gather more market share. In a month's time, the Master of Coin can report to the assembly and if tax receipts haven't increased, we will raise the tax back to its current level.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2015, 02:23:13 pm »

"If the merchants had a reason other than their own greed, I would suspect they would've stated that reason in order to ensure we voted for it."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2015, 02:40:10 pm »

On the subject of the Cult - Perhaps a compromise could be reached? We could, for example, deny them the access to the city they demanded, yet, permit them to build a temple outside city limits, and tax them, as our esteemed fellow tower proposed, for the fact.

As a side benefit, it makes it much easier to keep eyes on the worshippers as they go to their new temple, under the watchful eye of the Cuty Guard
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2015, 02:49:12 pm »

You might have something there. I'm all for aggressive ambition in those who pay taxes. I wish our merchant were more like this Cult and sought new opportunities instead of whining about the tax burden.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Vacio

• Bay Watcher
  • I have awoken from my long slumber....
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2015, 08:50:25 pm »

"In regards to the sea custom tax, I believe stealing the market from competitors would benefit us greatly but having reduced the taxes from 6% to 4%, and  now wanting to reduce it to nearly half of what it was originally, I cannot say is a wise decision. I believe we have been fair enough to the merchants with the previous tax reductions, they have been given plenty incentive to take ahold of sea trade. In addition, there is no guarantee that there will be any economic growth with additional tax reductions, as such I must disagree on reducing the sea custom tax."
Discontinued Game
Los Diablos
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7