Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Optional Realities & Project Redshift! --- A Text-based RPG community & Game!  (Read 6792 times)

Jeshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey everyone,

I'd like to announce the opening of Optional Realities, a design blog and community supporting roleplay-focused MUDs. We are committed to the following:

-We will publish regular articles every week, not only written by our own team of experienced MUD Designers, but the staff of prominent roleplaying games like Sindome, Evolution of Esos, Shadows of Isildur, Armageddon, Haven: Mists and Shadow, and others.

-We will moderate a community forum with a policy that is very open and inviting, as a place for leaders in our genre of MUDs to discuss roleplaying, writing, design, and upcoming events for their games.

-We will do everything that we can to help support designers looking to create their own games in our genre.

-We will host monthly contests with cash prizes, ranging from storytelling competitions, to game design proposals, to submission of quality roleplaying logs.

The Optional Realities team is also committed to our work with the Evennia engine, which we are using to create a new engine and sci-fi roleplay-centric MUD called Project Redshift. Please join us at Optional Realities, in our effort to strengthen our 20+ year old community and build towards an ever-better future for roleplaying MUDs.

Jeshin
Founder of Optional Realities
optionalrealities.com/
optionalrealities.com/forums/

PS - Check out our May 2015 contest for a 600 word game pitch with cash prizes! http://optionalrealities.com/forums/index.php?topic=13.0
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:34:32 pm by Jeshin »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Optional Realities & Project Redshift!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 02:19:34 pm »

Creating an account, to promote a game/development forum, on a game/development forum...  Not exactly the best manners here, you could have at least introduced yourself or y'know, become involved with this community beforehand.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Jeshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 02:20:53 pm »

I apologize. I was actually directed here by someone else that suggested posting here. I am currently bumping through other threads actually seeing what I can contribute too. I can go ahead and take this down if I've broken any rules, wasn't meant to be a hit and run or anything!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 02:21:42 pm »

Well... ill be the first to say that joining this board for a quick advertisement is... well not really the best way to start your journey here. But on the other hand as long you show up and get involve it should be fine!

Personaly i dont mind and i kinda like it because it let me discover stuff i would otherwise miss.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Jeshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 02:23:11 pm »

I'll definitely be involved! I spend most of my mornings with a cup of coffee going through the various text-based gaming boards on my bookmarks. I have heard a lot about the Dwarf fortress game, but I never knew it had such an activity community. I'll have to go play a few rounds while I get through this frankly massive forum.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 02:23:34 pm »

I apologize. I was actually directed here by someone else that suggested posting here. I am currently bumping through other threads actually seeing what I can contribute too. I can go ahead and take this down if I've broken any rules, wasn't meant to be a hit and run or anything!
Craptastic double ninja posted... Oh well. Its not really breaking a rule per say but as long you dont disapear on us it should be fine :).
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 02:26:20 pm »

I'll definitely be involved! I spend most of my mornings with a cup of coffee going through the various text-based gaming boards on my bookmarks. I have heard a lot about the Dwarf fortress game, but I never knew it had such an activity community. I'll have to go play a few rounds while I get through this frankly massive forum.
I like to think of us like the indie vanguard, most of the time if a roguelike or indie game makes a good impression here we can be very usefull to them, or we can simply ignore it if it doesnt catch us and the game might fall into oblivion. I wont say we are the bigguest indie involved community, i would lie ( No im not thinking of minecraft, minecraft is irrelevant to indie now ), but we have a certain weight.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 08:54:11 pm »

I heartily endorse this event or product.
I'm sure there are at least a few Bay12ers around who would greatly enjoy sinking their teeth into a good RPI MUD.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 11:22:48 pm »

I'm glad to see we still welcome first-time-posters with open-arms here in the Other Games forum :P [/sarcasm]

I heartily endorse this event or product.
I'm sure there are at least a few Bay12ers around who would greatly enjoy sinking their teeth into a good RPI MUD.

Aye. I'm still bitter I missed out on the Space-Station-13-like act of Atonement RPI. I've been looking for a role-play intensive MUD to play but so many are either really hard to pick up (Armageddon, I think it's called?) or void of human life :(
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Jeshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you liked Atonement, Jaunt is both the Editor of our weekly articles and the Senior dev for Project Redshift. Another scifi RPI game coming out hopefully in 2016 or 2017.

But if you're looking for a roleplay centric game with permadeath and strong coded systems all of the games we host are good candidates for you. It's also worth noting that a lot of these games have a bit of a learning period, but if you stick with them for a few days you'll likely get immersed. Always read the documentation they provide on the setting and RP!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you liked Atonement, Jaunt is both the Editor of our weekly articles and the Senior dev for Project Redshift. Another scifi RPI game coming out hopefully in 2016 or 2017.

But if you're looking for a roleplay centric game with permadeath and strong coded systems all of the games we host are good candidates for you. It's also worth noting that a lot of these games have a bit of a learning period, but if you stick with them for a few days you'll likely get immersed. Always read the documentation they provide on the setting and RP!

Thanks for the advice :) I'll definitely have to keep an eye on that Redshift RPI, it looks pretty shiny! Your website is pretty nice and hopefully I'll be able to join and chat some time in the forums. Always supportive for anyone trying to keep MUDs in the present!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Jeshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are some pretty advanced games in development right now even for the non-RP player.

This is a GUI overlay MUD for a roguelike game that is in development or completed (I can't remember off the top of my head)
http://www.mudconnect.com/SMF/index.php?topic=79228.0

There is also the classic GodWarsII led by KaVir
http://www.godwars2.org/screenshots.php

And of course there is dwarf fortress which isn't a MUD, but is still a great text-based game.

Jeshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you like Text-based RPGs? Do you like supernatural horror? Do you like modern settings? Well HavenRPG might be the game for you, but if you aren't entirely sure here is one of their staff members (Tyr) writing about the player customization options that they support on their game. As well as the benefits and drawbacks they experience!

http://optionalrealities.com/the-advantages-and-risks-of-allowing-player-building/

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile

Godwars 2 is nice. I payed it for a while before I got bored. The playerbase was just to damn small.

Beggars` Sect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interesting. I mean, the fact that the name of the original text-gaming magazine is Imaginary Realities - and that it is still going on.

I`m not familiar with the MUD scene and not privy to what happens behind-the-scenes and why wasn`t it possible simply to just join forces - but couldn`t you at least pick up a better name? Come on..."Optional Realities"? :P
Pages: [1] 2