Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What do you do? What do you want to do? [Whats your job/dream job thread]  (Read 2376 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

Unless you're running into financial trouble and wont be able to make ends meet, you should try to enjoy your free days if your job is paying off decently. Of course, its always good to search for new oportunities, but having free time to spend with your friends and family is quite important too. Try to balance it out on your own. Stablish some free days for yourself and boundaries between your work and your free time.

As a lawyer, I do this by telling my clients I do not take calls from clients during weekends unless its very important or an urgent matter (in which case I tell them to keep calling so I'll answer in the 2nd/3rd attempt). Unless its that kind of thing, I just tell them to send me an email and I'll get back to them as soon as I get to read it.

Of course, not many clients like that, and in some cases, its not very wise to do so (specialy in regards to litigious divorce and other family court things), but there are times you need to stablish a boundary so you can actualy live for yourself, and not live for your work.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

I'm currently a student, and probably will be until at least 2018, which is a either depressing or awesome. I'd love to do something involving biology (I'm probably the second most lab competent person at my place of study, after the lab assistant), but I can only take so many subjects and biology has too many prerequisites for me to study it alongside computer science and maths.

I'd study medicine/become a doctor (probably a GP) if I didn't think dealing with sick people day in and day out for years would give me a nervous breakdown (I have the grades and the aptitude). As it is, I'm aiming to get a job as a code monkey and then improve. AI development, machine learning, and that kind of thing are particularly what I'd like to have involved in a job, but that's quite a way away.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:15:37 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Right now I'm a biochemistry student
Heh between you, me, Sheb and some other people I don't want to name because I'm not 100% sure they are and I don't want to make an ass out of myself, I think we should start a Bay12 Life Wizzerds Club.

I'd join. Though I get the impression that I'd be the newest to the field by a country mile, hehe.

I am a computer programmer.

I want to retire.  Its weird, but I just really enjoy being lazy and not doing anything.  I want to get a stretch of land in the forest away from people, put a yurt on it get two dogs and just have fun by myself all day every day.  All my money is being invested and saved for this purpose.  I am probably 10 to 15 years away from being able to do this.

I always felt like programming or IT was my "other option." I picked up C++ pretty darn fast when nobody else in my high school robotics club wanted to do it, anyway. Then we started using NI LabVIEW and most of the applicability went right out the door, but by then I was software guy. It was a lot easier to use, I'll at least give it that. What do you do as a programmer, if you don't mind?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

I am a computer programmer.

I want to retire.  Its weird, but I just really enjoy being lazy and not doing anything.  I want to get a stretch of land in the forest away from people, put a yurt on it get two dogs and just have fun by myself all day every day.  All my money is being invested and saved for this purpose.  I am probably 10 to 15 years away from being able to do this.

I always felt like programming or IT was my "other option." I picked up C++ pretty darn fast when nobody else in my high school robotics club wanted to do it, anyway. Then we started using NI LabVIEW and most of the applicability went right out the door, but by then I was software guy. It was a lot easier to use, I'll at least give it that. What do you do as a programmer, if you don't mind?

I work at a HIV research/clinical lab keeping things running.  Its sort of a bit-of-everything kind of job, sometimes I'm writing software to analyze sequences, sometimes I'm making patient reports for new tests, sometimes I'm helping the researchers put together/analyze data sets.  Its a great job, but I'd still rather be at home playing video games.  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:23:45 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

That happens to more-or-less describe what I'd love to do. Step 1: Move to Canada. Hmmm.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile

14, and as such can't get a job at the moment. Though my parents are considering trying to open a restaurant, so I'll probably end up working there at some point.

As for my dream job, I'd like to go into game design. In the very likely scenario that that won't be feasible, I want to do something involving computers. IT or software design, probably. Working on computers and programming is one of the few productive things I can say I enjoy, and the only one I've had any talent at all with.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

After having worked a few 9-5 jobs, then finally working freelance, have you ever had a weird guilty feeling that you shouldn't be doing nothing, even though there's nothing wrong with it (especially because you wanted to take a day off)? Probably the most annoying feeling I've gotten since I've started. Anyone else have this issue?

I dunno, this describes my brother and dad pretty well. My dad more than my brother. But they're both the kind that have to be doing something most of the time or they become agitated/unhappy/depressed. They'll constantly be making chore lists for themselves, taking on extra work, start large, time-consuming projects.

I fall on the other end of the scale. I'm happiest when my time is my own to do with as I please. The more responsibilities I have or I create for myself, the more stressed and unhappy I get.

Learning to relax and enjoy some free time is as important and learning to buckle down and get shit done, IMO.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile

I am a perennial student and a reclusive drunkard. I spend most of my time glued to the computer screen, reading an odd book now and then, and sometimes doing a bit of research for my perpetually inchoate MA. Other exciting activities include filling out welfare forms, and carrying out experiments in subjective chemistry.

Formerly, my most cherished dream was to do something useful and interesting with my life, but as it turns out, I have no talent for anything except useless, silly crap like comp. lit. and philosophy. (Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love good literature, but my view of literary criticism as an academic discipline is as unflattering as it is realistic.)

I think I'd rather be an uneducated farmer than an over-educated humanist hack. It would be wonderful to live in the countryside, growing your own food, brewing your own booze, taking care of animals, observing nature... too bad you can't start your own farm without getting neck-deep in debt.

But really, if I could be anything I want, I'd like to be a brilliant game designer like Toady. :v

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What I do: Rent-A-Slave for anything restaurant related. Momentary madness made me give it a try after I graduated from vocational school, and I've been stuck here ever since.
I started by washing dishes and waiting tables and worked my way up from there. I've done almost everything I can imagine there is to do in this industry, from bartender to butcherer, even ran a kitchen with small staff for few months, but mostly I just do short cooking gigs for smallish restaurants, workplace cafeterias and catering services for larger events.
Best part about this is that I can decide where I work and when, and I got enough places who call me first when they need help so I can make a decent living and still can tuck little into my savings.

What I want to do: What I do now, with better pay.  :P
Seriously, no 9-5 desk jobs for me.

Though my parents are considering trying to open a restaurant, so I'll probably end up working there at some point.
RUN! RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN AND DON'T LOOK BACK!
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I am my department's (haematology) senior resident physician. I want to finish my residency, finish my arrangements for exile in the UK,  and keep building up momentum. Do interesting things, get prestige, etc...
I'd like to get into cell therapy, too. This is linked to my exile plans.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile

Nice to see everyone is taking this seriously :) nice to see what everybody does
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile

I am a Machinist at a jobber shop. We practically accept anything that we can machine,press,punch,saw,roll, weld, braze, and a whole lot more. It is a fairly big shop overall and I love working there seeing all the work that goes through there.

As for my Dream Job, I really dont know. I would love to explore space or fantasy ruins ( I know that wont happen unless there is a tear in spacetime or something) or do something with machinery.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

31 here, and I'm a 7 year veteran of retail/customer service assistant-management. I've assistant-managed a gas station, a sports bar, and now a multinational games retailer, with other retail stints in a big-box electronics store, a now defunct much smaller big-box electronics store, a regional grocery chain (although I did IT work for them once I escaped the deli with a freak rotisserie injury,) a couple fast food joints, and I spent three years as an Account Sales Representative under the banner of one of the world's largest electronics manufacturers. Before I got into retail/customer service/food service, I was a semi-pro kickboxer, cage fighter, and tournament fighter for a short period of time, and before that I worked in factories.

My dream job would be going full-on pro in MMA. I'll never be medically cleared again due to my spinal injuries, and I don't have the physical tools (height is a weapon!) needed to do so, so my other dream jobs are: astrophysicist-particle physicist-hard-science-man, game designer, graphic designer, author, or sports journalist/editor. I'd also love to open a dojo one day, but I seriously need to get training again for that to happen, and I need back surgery first, which is probably never going to happen. Also, startup capital.

If I ever make it back to college (I have an Associate Degree in General Studies with a focus on Computer Science) I'd like to get into physics, or into a CS course where I can learn by methods other than bashing my head against the keyboard and hoping for the best.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Unemployed. Student. Don't expect to be employed until after I complete my degree (another three and a half years) and even then only by virtue of dangling a piece of paper that says "degree" in front of prospective employers.

I am morally opposed to writing CVs.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Go do programming for NASA, SpaceX, or some other fig spaceflight group.  Specifically, I want to program the stuff for rocket trajectories, or something like that.  If I can't do that, some other programming job related to the sciences, such as chemistry or physics, or some kind of cryptography. 

I was also considering going into the navy, but I have a pretty heavy lisp, which combined with my physical fitness makes such a possibility slim.  My dad did nuclear work in submarines, and I'm pretty much surrounded by people who do nuclear engineering or have military experience, at home and at school. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3