Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Videogame general discussion  (Read 5121 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MetalGear general discussion
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 09:54:28 am »

Re: Raiden as Snake

Raiden was Snake in MGS 2 for all of about 5 minutes. But the whole point of 2 was that "Hey, you're not Snake, you don't get to be Snake this time, you're this other guy." And that exchange was just the start of about 8 hours of that theme being beaten into you.

Re: Naked vs Solid

Love them both, but Metal Gear 1 and 2 were just so painful to get through it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth for Solid. MGS1 didn't hold up to my expectations after 13 years when I recently replayed it and MGS2 was just a tease. He finally came around and mostly redeemed himself in 4 with that truly amazing experience, but that aftertaste of the beginning still lingered.

Compared to that, Naked has been a pleasure to play throughout the series where he starred as a MC. 3 is still my favorite game out of them all, just the perfect combination of gameplay, storytelling, dialogue and characterization. Plus that whole James Bond-ish theme it's got going. Peacewalker was a slight disappointment after all of that, but certainly not bad. Ground Zeroes, however, excepting the lack of David Hayter, was an amazing demo for what I expect to be a true masterpiece to cap off the series later this year. Naked's story isn't done yet, The Phantom Pain could still flop, but I see nothing that even hints at that and thus I have to give my favorite Snake title to Naked.

Re: Sounding like crazies to people who never played the game.

It sounds just as crazy to people who have played the games too much. The lack of information and amount of misunderstanding of a casual metal gear player is just painful sometimes.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame general discussion
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 10:29:34 am »

rpg names
I tend to highly prefer a few specific names from some of the older classic games I like.  Otherwise, I prefer to use the in-game random name generator. 

I also have an aversion to using a character as 'me'.  If I am forced to name a male protagonist with no default name in a video game... it'll have to be 'Guy'.

@Snake
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 11:05:43 am »

Most of the time I just pick from a list of names of versions fictional characters that kinda-sorta fit an archetype.

(Terry Pratchett)
Warrior women are named Angua, more sophisticated or vicious types are Serafine. I had a WoW mage named Weatherwax.
Who is Serafine?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 11:08:16 am »

If one of us is Snake, then we are all Snake, because we are all Pathos.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 11:33:08 am »

It is best to think about it this way

Snake is a code name

One day someone with the codename of Snake was REALLY great at his job... so much so that the codename was passed down to only the best soldiers... BUT they modified it slightly.

Raiden AKA Jack the Ripper AKA Snake took the name.
He switched code names from Snake to Raiden at the beginning of the Big Shell operation. He was never really called Snake, it was just a part of Kojima's deception when the game came out to fool people into thinking they'd be playing as Solid Snake for the entire game. That's why the Tanker chapter is there, because it was the demo. Raiden isn't anywhere on the game's case or the original PS2 game's manual either.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2015, 12:06:08 pm »

lol, ok it all makes a little more sense now actually.

RPG names:

I usually have a few standbys that i'll go to if I feel like living the world a bit,

Aldand Dragonheart

Ashtesh Blundermugs

etc.

When i'm just docking around, feeling like being a bandit or just ridiculous in general,

I go with names like,

Hans Gruber

Bear

Justice Hamptons V

etc.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2015, 01:31:17 pm »

Most of the time I just pick from a list of names of versions fictional characters that kinda-sorta fit an archetype.

(Terry Pratchett)
Warrior women are named Angua, more sophisticated or vicious types are Serafine. I had a WoW mage named Weatherwax.
Who is Serafine?

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Serafine_von_%C3%9Cberwald

Angua's mom. She was in the Fifth Elephant, well worth a read and one of my favorites.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 01:41:31 pm »

If I'm stuck, I usually go with 'Iemand' or 'Iemand Anders', probably better known to the German forumites as 'Jemand'.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Astfgl66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 03:00:38 pm »

If a character has a cannon name i'll always use it, otherwise if the character is male or genderless Astfgl it is (after the demon in Eric by Terry Pratchett). If the character is female, Aalea, a name i made up (though now that i think about it i might steal Angua.)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2015, 03:14:42 pm »

I thought Naked Snake was always big boss?
No. He only became Big Boss after he killed The Boss during Operation Snake Eater (MGS3) when the president bestowed the title on him. During that mission and the Virtuous Mission his codename was Naked Snake. During MGSV he is referred to in trailers as Punished Snake, but after the end of Operation Snake Eater he's only ever referred to as "Boss" or "Snake."

"Who is the good guy in the main Metal Gear series? Is it Solid Snake? Or is it Naked Snake?"

... and who is the main character? Naked or Solid?
It depends on what game you're playing, but ultimately Big Boss is a bad guy and Solid Snake is a good guy. In all the MGS games BB is featured in, he's a good guy, except for Metal Gear 2 (not to be confused with Metal Gear Solid 2) where he's the final boss. MGSV is supposed to lead into the creation of Outer Heaven, which is the base Solid Snake infiltrates in Metal Gear 2. I'm very excited to see how they tie in together.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2015, 03:19:37 pm »

So demos and piracy...yeah...I never really thought much about them being gone. But because my PC is getting older...

Witcher 3.

First game I've ever pirated. Not to steal it, but just to see if it works on my PC cause I can't really afford throwing 50 dollars (when it can go to getting a newer GPU or something) or whatever at a game to find out it doesn't work.

No wonder people pirate...maybe most do it just to get a "free" game. But I wouldn't even need to if there was a demo to see if the game worked on my PC.

And minimum/recommended system requirements are pretty useless. I met minimum requirements when Crysis was new, and it was barely playable lol (I don't find playing at 30 FPS very fun or playable on low graphics :P)
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2015, 03:21:19 pm »

I thought Naked Snake was always big boss?
No. He only became Big Boss after he killed The Boss during Operation Snake Eater (MGS3) when the president bestowed the title on him. During that mission and the Virtuous Mission his codename was Naked Snake. During MGSV he is referred to in trailers as Punished Snake, but after the end of Operation Snake Eater he's only ever referred to as "Boss" or "Snake."

"Who is the good guy in the main Metal Gear series? Is it Solid Snake? Or is it Naked Snake?"

... and who is the main character? Naked or Solid?
It depends on what game you're playing, but ultimately Big Boss is a bad guy and Solid Snake is a good guy. In all the MGS games BB is featured in, he's a good guy, except for Metal Gear 2 (not to be confused with Metal Gear Solid 2) where he's the final boss. MGSV is supposed to lead into the creation of Outer Heaven, which is the base Solid Snake infiltrates in Metal Gear 2. I'm very excited to see how they tie in together.
Outer heaven was MG1, MG2 was Zanzibar Land. Big Boss is there too, though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2015, 03:25:12 pm »

RPG names:

1. In games with just one character, like the aforementioned Zelda or Pokémon games, I usually just use my real name, partially to help with immersion and partially because I can't be bothered to think up better ones. Occasionally I can be bothered to do other things, like a joke run of OoT where I gave myself some ridiculous name I forgot for the sake of hearing Ganon shout it at the end, or the Skyward Sword game where (having recently come off a Fire Emblem binge) named myself "Lon'qu" (after telling my inner 11-year-old corrupted by Yahtzee Croshaw to take his "Fagballs" somewhere else.)

2. In games with more than one character, I... uh... I don't know. I don't play a lot of those.  I usually either grab a name generator or make really bad puns (probably my worst was naming my Black Belt party "Bruc, Lee, Jack, and Chan".) EarthBound, which I have played multiple times, is the exception, as the multiple times I played through it in my youth I usually just named the characters after people I know.
It depends on what game you're playing, but ultimately Big Boss is a bad guy and Solid Snake is a good guy. In all the MGS games BB is featured in, he's a good guy, except for Metal Gear 2 (not to be confused with Metal Gear Solid 2) where he's the final boss.
I thought he was the bad guy in MG1, too?

EDIT: Checked, he was.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2015, 04:32:59 pm »

If it's a big knightly dude, I go with Tiberius.

If it's a Wizard-type, I go with Memnok.

Everything else typically gets Nenjin.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2015, 04:58:40 pm »

So it looks like we might be getting a new battletech/mechwarrior game by the same guys who did the recent Shadowrun games

The last one I played was for the one for the Amiga, I hope its similar. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4