Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Videogame general discussion  (Read 5124 times)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame general discussion
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2015, 04:59:55 pm »

On RPG names I have a stable of names I re-use, mostly stolen from elsewhere:

• Biowraith - my first City of Heroes character, now usually re-used for necromancy types of character (or just mages in general, occasionally rogues).  Not stolen from anywhere, other than a desire to use the awfully generic 'wraith' in a name.
  • Mosp - a tertiary character from the Sluggy Freelance webcomic.  I use it for female rogue types mostly.
  • Cheule [Siygess] - character from an old DMA Design / Psygnogis game called Hired Guns.  Usually my name and character of choice for sci-fi settings.
  • Rorian, Kiurcher, Desverger, Miyriel, MC 128-7 CIM - also character names I use from Hired Guns,  I like Cheule the most though.
  • Susan - used for tall blonde female warriors.  Doesn't come from anywhere in particular, just my go-to generic female name (maybe partially taken from Susan Sto-Helit in the Discworld books).
  • Liessa - from a minor Discworld character, usually used for fantasy female warriors if Susan is already taken.
  • Vorbis - from Discworld (Small Gods); used for monks and priest types.
  • Glod Glodsson - another Discworld theft.  Used for dwarf characters.
  • Rrowl - used on the rare occasions I have some sort of cat based character.  Can't remember if I stole it from somewhere or just made it up (not exactly original even if the latter, I know).
  • Clem Shirestock - example character name in one of the editions of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay rulebook.  I use it for characters where I can't think of anything else appropriate (or my preferred choices are taken).

I probably use Biowraith, Cheule, and Mosp the most.  And occasionally I use something not on the list, even coming up with stuff of my own now and then, but mostly it's one of those.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2015, 05:38:17 pm »

So it looks like we might be getting a new battletech/mechwarrior game by the same guys who did the recent Shadowrun games

The last one I played was for the one for the Amiga, I hope its similar. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Based on SRR and SR:DF, I'm.....cautious. I feel like HBS takes complicated games and simplifies them so they can run on tablets and mobile devices. The last 4 games they've made have been just that. So while we do need a new, awesome SP Mechwarrior/Battletech, I wonder if a) they're going to cram the art style through their current in-house artists (who I've not been of a fan of to-date) and if they're going to abstract a ton of stuff away due to time/budget/vision. Mechwarrior Online is about as a solid a representation of Mechwarrior as we've seen since Mechwarrior Mercenaries. Whatever HBS does (if anything at all happens), it has to be at least as technical and thorough as MW:O for me to care. Whether that's real-time first person simulation like MW:O or a hex-based table-top-esqe Mechwarrior creation, if it's watered down for a different crowd or because they can only budget for a small game, I'm not really going to be interested.

It's cool that one of the guys who was actually involved with FASA gets to come back to MW if it happens. Then again, I took that as a positive for Shadorun and I didn't end up being impressed with it like I thought I would be.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2015, 05:32:55 am »

RPG names

For the past few years I've taken to naming characters after historical figures (particularly authors and scientists) who have absolutely nothing to do with the game.

It's funny, since I've never cared in the slightest about the whole "role playing" part of RPG, but suddenly I'm able to really get a kick out of it when the whole thing is made ludicrous by the insertion of a random real person. It feeds into a kind of internal monologue and historical record that goes along with playing the game that I find hilarious, if that makes sense.

"Ah yes, and here we have Virginia Woolf, the famed horse archer warlord of the steppes, leading an army of bandits in the historic siege of Curaw..."

Stuff like that.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2015, 09:01:30 am »

I usually go with Aulus, Danatoth, or Xerek for fantasy games. Or Daren, that works too for less "fantastical" ones that are still medievally.

Interesting note: I have taken to calling all my Fallout New Vegas couriers the name "Six" because it fits so damn well.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2015, 01:47:24 pm »

Why are Mutalisks still called that in SC2 when they don't mutate into other units?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2015, 01:51:42 pm »

Why are Mutalisks still called that in SC2 when they don't mutate into other units?
Force of name inertia. Once you've named something something you should keep it the same name unless you have a very good reason. Even if they had of changed the name everyone would have just called them "muta's" anyways, since that's exactly what they would have been.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2015, 01:54:27 pm »

Besides it isn't like StarCraft's Zerg naming system is particularly accurate.

Or shall we forget the Hydralisks

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2015, 01:57:01 pm »

Sure, but they could've just made them mutate into Broodlords instead of Corruptors.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2015, 01:57:11 pm »

I think that's because they use water pressure to propel their projectiles.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2015, 01:58:13 pm »

Sure, but they could've just made them mutate into Broodlords instead of Corruptors.
Welcome to the world of Balance vs. Lore. :P And in a game with a competitive multiplayer, Balance is going to win that fight every time.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2015, 01:59:06 pm »

I think that's because they use water pressure to propel their projectiles.

It is because their spines are coated with acid... and the hydra had acidic blood.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]