Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What is the Adult Equivilant of the Highschool setting?  (Read 2085 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the Adult Equivilant of the Highschool setting?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 12:48:25 pm »

An office. Your alpha personalities are either managers or high-earning marketers or something. Your underdogs are undervalued interns and IT guys.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 12:51:43 pm »

or wars involving Sweden or Norway?

...Wait, what?
Love, scriver~

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 12:55:22 pm »

or wars involving Sweden or Norway?

...Wait, what?
I was referring to how Sweden and Norway have (weak) military conscription. And Sweden doesn't actually have mandatory military service anymore. It was a bad and rather ill-informed example.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:58:17 pm by Fniff »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 01:16:05 pm »

A war between Norway and Sweden would end quickly as the 38% of Norway's workforce that is Swedes would rise up against them with unrelenting cruelty ruthlessness. Deprived of their tasty mashed banana pudding Norwegian society would collapse completely within the fortnight, leaving only a post-apocalyptic, scarred husk of a civilisation for the Swedish to conquer at leisure, as seen during the fatal Butter Riots that shook Norway during the dreaded Dairy Crisis of '11.
Love, scriver~

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 01:17:30 pm »

A war between Norway and Sweden would end quickly as the 38% of Norway's workforce that is Swedes would rise up against them with unrelenting cruelty ruthlessness. Deprived of their tasty mashed banana pudding Norwegian society would collapse completely within the fortnight, leaving only a post-apocalyptic, scarred husk of a civilisation for the Swedish to conquer at leisure, as seen during the fatal Butter Riots that shook Norway during the dreaded Dairy Crisis of '11.
... I meant "a choice of Sweden or Norway" rather then "Sweden and Norway in a final showdown no bars held", but that's fine too.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 01:24:56 pm »

Why?
1) in a highschool setting you have characters who are still coming to grips with their own emotions and learning how to do things
2) Highschool is a highly social setting about who you know, who you are friend with, who are your enemies
3) Highschool has clubs and activities that can divide the monotony up
4) Highschool setting also easily folds in peripheral characters like parents, teachers, and stuff who aren't necessarily the villains.

That's really the point of all these support campaigns for kids having a terrible time in high school, there's really nowhere in adult life that people still act like high schoolers.  Which is to say, act like social-politic-obsessed emotionally-undeveloped jackasses with rigidly defined class structures, activities, performance metrics, and authority figures.

Off the top of my head: Military, professional sports team, prison inmates, maybe some full-time government offices.  You can find some commonalities between them.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 01:37:58 pm »

... I meant "a choice of Sweden or Norway" rather then "Sweden and Norway in a final showdown no bars held", but that's fine too.

I just wanted to reference the Norwegian Butter Crisis. Yes, that is a thing that was.
Love, scriver~

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 01:50:40 pm »

1) in a highschool college setting you have characters who are still coming to grips with their own emotions and learning how to do things
2) Highschool college is a highly social setting about who you know, who you are friend with, who are your enemies
3) Highschool college has clubs and activities that can divide the monotony up
4) Highschool college setting also easily folds in peripheral characters like parents, teachers, and stuff who aren't necessarily the villains.

Pretty much this and every other setting Aqizzar mentioned. Pretty much any "adult" place in which people have to do tasks/possibly work togheder/are in constant or near constant social contact with one another/divides people into groups of people that get formed due to their similarities and layers of hierarchy/divide said people's time in a schedule involving different activities/etc, will involve everything mentioned in the OP.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:53:02 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 12:59:01 pm »

Definitely office work; no one does anything, your superiors can be irrational, there's some alcohol involved...
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 01:44:02 pm »

Here's another example: prison. As in, regular prison, not juvie.
It's like boarding school except you definitely can't leave.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 02:43:39 pm »

I'd have to agree with Frumple on the first page. Office setting, most definitely.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 06:32:44 pm »

I'd have to agree with Frumple on the first page. Office setting, most definitely.

Office setting turns the "boss" and "Supervisors" into villains... pretty much always.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 06:38:32 pm »

Office setting turns the "boss" and "Supervisors" into villains... pretty much always.
High school setting turns the principal and teachers into villains pretty much always, too.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 06:59:32 pm »

High school setting turns the principal and teachers into villains pretty much always, too.
Nah, they tend to be incompetent/carefree/caring/uncaring/villainous and so on.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 11:13:34 pm »

A retirement home. Especially one for people with dementia/Alzheimer's etc.

-snip-

On the downside, putting Grandma in a sailor suit isn't nearly as kawaii.

Seconded, and frankly I think stories could use more heroic and cute old grandmas.

EDIT: Features cartoon nudity, so maybe NSFW! >_o

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:43:58 pm by Solifuge »
Pages: 1 [2] 3