Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragons friendly to goblins?  (Read 1066 times)

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dragons friendly to goblins?
« on: May 20, 2015, 07:32:35 am »

I have a trained war dragon, and set it to pasture outside right as a goblin siege wandered in. But it didn't attack them! In fact it was slaughtered in seconds, and didn't breathe fire as the gobbos approached.

Is this because it's trained? Or because the civilian alert was on, perhaps? Its training level is Semi-Wild, but it does have war training.

War dogs attack them just fine, so I'm wondering if maybe dragons just don't bother with goblins?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 07:38:42 am by Magnus »
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Dragons friendly to goblins?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:49:00 am »

Maybe it was because it was semi-wild ?

Normally war animals should be aggressive to goblins.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 11:21:50 am »

well i believe it was a famous dwarf whose name i forgot who said: goblins and animals are all united under their hatred for dwarfs.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 01:04:19 am »

Chained animals are passive
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 02:54:53 am »

Chained animals are passive

I had it loose, just pastured near the goblins.
It could be because one of my soldiers was near. The dragon hates any active soldiers even if it's tame, but civilian dwarves are okay. I'll do some more testing on an old save and find out if it's always friendly with goblins.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 03:20:20 am by Magnus »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 04:12:22 am »

Oh, so it's a fake tamed dragon... and it's still hostile to your soldiers... well in that case that's normal. It must have killed some of your soldiers before being tamed, yes ?

Or maybe that is a new df2014 thing. When I tried making cyclops tameable, caught a cyclops (who didn't killed anyone on my fort), tamed him, released him and then he got killed by a soldier.

It must be this new worldgen activation stuff. The megabeasts count dwarves killed in worldgen as anti-training ? Or something similar ?

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 04:18:04 am »

Oh, so it's a fake tamed dragon... and it's still hostile to your soldiers... well in that case that's normal. It must have killed some of your soldiers before being tamed, yes ?

Or maybe that is a new df2014 thing. When I tried making cyclops tameable, caught a cyclops (who didn't killed anyone on my fort), tamed him, released him and then he got killed by a soldier.

It must be this new worldgen activation stuff. The megabeasts count dwarves killed in worldgen as anti-training ? Or something similar ?

Not sure if it's fake... I play with vanilla DF. The dragon walked straight into a cage trap, and then I tamed it. I've got it tamed up to Trained level now, and trained it for war. It plays nice with civilians, but hates any active soldier. In fact, if a soldier catches a glimpse of the dragon he will charge after it, even if I assign it to him as a work animal, and more often than not the dragon will flee. But if I set all my squads to Inactive there's no problem.

I think I'll rather try and build a "flame turret" for it, i.e. encase it in fortifications and drawbridges. Or possibly give it a nest box and use it to make incredibly expensive omelettes (Fallout 2 anyone?).

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 10:30:11 am »

Nah, it's a standard dragon. But it looks to me that it's "fake tamed" as in your soldiers still see it as hostile even if it's not.

Is it a thing that tamed megabeasts are now hostile to soldiers in DF2014 ?

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 11:25:41 am »

Thing is, even if the dragon killed none of your soldiers in fort mode, it can still kill your civi members in worldgen.  Other civis are ok but it it kills someone in your civi, even before the game starts. I don't think it will train properly.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 03:54:49 pm »

This is an old bug/feature: since at least two versions ago. Legendary creatures who have ever killed a member of your civ (even during world gen) will never stop being enemies of your civilization, even when tamed.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?