Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any semi reliable way to dismember a bronze colossus?  (Read 2494 times)

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
Any semi reliable way to dismember a bronze colossus?
« on: May 20, 2015, 06:07:09 am »

Hi all,

I've recently been attacked by a bronze colossus and have managed to capture him using a well placed cave in and some frantic building.

Is there any semi reliable way to dismember him so I can use him as a living punching bag for unarmed combat training or am I going to have to make do with just using him as a giant pincushion for my marksdwarfs.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Any semi reliable way to dismember a bronze colossus?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 06:39:53 am »

Not without a risk of killing him or without going into adventurer mode, no.

However, fighting a bronze colossus unarmed shouldn't be dangerous for dwarves skilled in Dodging, at least before they tire.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 07:34:58 am »

I believe the safest way to use dangerous punching bags is to make a room out of featherwood and cover it in cage traps, then let in the colossus with trainees. Any dwarves knocked out will be kept safe in cages.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 08:51:40 am »

I believe the safest way to use dangerous punching bags is to make a room out of featherwood and cover it in cage traps, then let in the colossus with trainees. Any dwarves knocked out will be kept safe in cages.

Have fun constantly getting the colossus out of the cage traps then...

What you need is a room made out of a dropping bridge and a floor of cage traps 1z below. If someone's wounded or passed out, set the bridge to drop.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 10:13:07 am »

Not without a risk of killing him or without going into adventurer mode, no.

However, fighting a bronze colossus unarmed shouldn't be dangerous for dwarves skilled in Dodging, at least before they tire.

The wiki suggests cave ins, but that sounds to me like it would indeed have a very high chance of killing it!

I don't understand this, the colossus seems to be able to kill dwarfs with a single hit, so I don't see how cage traps would help.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:20:59 am »

adamantine swords?

Space Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • undulates rhythmically
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:25:13 am »

I think your best bet is a controlled series of cave ins, one or two z-levels at a time, until it's limbs are rendered useless.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 01:03:10 pm »

A lasher might work... calling 'em off before they do too much damage, cuz a bronze lash is the only thing I've ever scratched a colossus with... also, if they aren't trapavoid, won't spinning blade have a high chance of lopping bits off? might come in *handy*... but that's a gamble, will a neck or an arm get lopped off first?

Whatever happens, don't forget to enjoy the masterwork bronze statue you just picked up. 8)
One wheel short of a wagon

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 03:24:07 pm »

if it can 1hit them, there's not much point then. (still marginal improvement.)
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 03:42:07 pm »

Just equipping a very good soldier with a cheap traded lash might do it... I use danger rooms, so am used to great dodgers...
One wheel short of a wagon

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 03:48:19 pm »

if it can 1hit them, there's not much point then. (still marginal improvement.)
I believe that if I can remove all his limbs then he will basically just sit there and take beats forever. Perfect for training a legion of wrestlers which I'll need if the neighbouring 8000 goblins ever show up or either of the nearby necromancer towers ever get off their arses.

Going to try a controlled set of multiple caveins...Fingers crossed.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 03:48:47 pm »

I used a bronze colossus in an earlier fort to train unarmed combat skills with moderate success. The trick is to have some background training in dodging before you start with the colossus; even then be prepared to some casualties.

I'd suggest undead as a safer alternative; a reanimated animal head hair or wool is both harmless and invulnerable and can train your dwarves indefinitely.

You can make a training room safer by building it on a retracting bridge, with a room full of cage traps underneath it. When things get too hot just retract the bridge and drop everyone on the cage traps; the punching bag should be then safely contained for later use. Building the trap room floors from some light material will prevent falling injuries from the drop.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 05:05:39 pm »

Adamantine chainsaws?
Regards,
Dampe

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 12:57:59 am »

A push from the colossus can still be powerful. It's not safe to melee.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 01:45:34 am »

I once caught a Bronze Colossus with bridges and used him to deal with invading goblins. They eventually chopped off all his limbs, but he kept fighting, by "push" attacks. Turns out Colossi can push pretty damn hard. :)
Pages: [1] 2