Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 42

Author Topic: Supernatural 8 - Game over! Town Victory  (Read 67831 times)

EPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural 8 - Day 1 - Dark Night heralds a Bloody Dawn
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2015, 08:17:03 pm »

Everyone: Let me know what should be done in this scenario: We lynch a townie today, and wake up next morning to find him revived. What do we do with that player?
I have no idea. Depends on the context of the revival.

...Please vote to kill.... Deus Asmoth...
Wait, what? Is this a vote to kill then?

Quite literally, that is what a vote is. A vote to kill.

As for the flavor, I can't imagine that the Mod would actually tell us who or what revived the player. Assuming a rather neutral mod post, what would you do?

spruce

• Bay Watcher
  • escaped lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2015, 08:20:32 pm »

I am not going to base any arguments off of flavor text, because it could easily go either way. For example, the thief sounds like an enemy when they could just as well be for the town.

"the thief"? I suppose there might be a Scum or 3rd party thief, but the write-up of it this game specifically lists Thief as among the possible Town Roles.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2015, 08:22:16 pm »

I am not going to base any arguments off of flavor text, because it could easily go either way. For example, the thief sounds like an enemy when they could just as well be for the town.

"the thief"? I suppose there might be a Scum or 3rd party thief, but the write-up of it this game specifically lists Thief as among the possible Town Roles.
Again, it says "potential town roles" which I am not inclined to believe wholeheartedly. Some of them may well be scum.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2015, 08:42:25 pm »

The Scribe's Tally Sheet
Cheesecake: Peradon, roo
Deus Asmoth: ToonyMan
Jack AT: TheDarkStar

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Monday

A few notes for those of you new to my Supernatural set-up:

1) Most roles in the game can be Town or Scum.
2) The Scum team type and number changes between games. There will be various hints throughout the game as to what they are.
3) You may indeed post your own votecounts if you wish.
4) Flavor is very important. There will be clues given to you in the Night Results PM as well as the Opening day flavor as to what is going on. You would be wise to pay attention to it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2015, 10:10:17 pm »

To All:

How many of you have played in earlier Supernatural series of games here, and how have those generally played out? Have they all been run by the same GM? Did they feature the same type of roles (not characters)?

This is my first one.

Darkstar: This makes me curious. Why Dying in particular?

Because it's one of the main things that drives a mafia game. Even with a cult, lynching still occurs.

Jack: Why did you kill the High Priest?
TDS: I didn't.  What were you expecting to learn with this question?

Not much, but I generally vote in my first post if I remember to post questions. At the very least, it drives some discussion and helps get the game out of RVS. Unvote.

TheDarkStar: What importance do classic scum tells hold for you? What is the most important scum tell to look for? Or, would answering this question change the answer?

A significant amount, since some of them depend on the fact that the scum generally have insider knowledge. As you've pointed out, listing the most important scumtell would be counterproductive because it would tell the scum what to avoid doing. Why do you ask if you think that it can't be answered?

TheDarkStar: You're the first person to jump the gun and blame someone. Eager beaver?

Indeed.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2015, 11:05:55 pm »

Everyone: Let me know what should be done in this scenario: We lynch a townie today, and wake up next morning to find him revived. What do we do with that player?
EPenguin: Consider them potentially anti-town, and treat them accordingly.  Revivals often go wrong in Supernatural.

How many of you have played in earlier Supernatural series of games here, and how have those generally played out? Have they all been run by the same GM? Did they feature the same type of roles (not characters)?
spruce: I was in 3 (my first game here) and 7.  Meph runs them all.  The core role types stay similar, but scum theme/type and third parties vary a lot by game.  D1 is like that of most games, but D2 and on we end up doing some flavour interpretation to figure out what we're up against in addition to our usual play.  There's usually a third party or two.  Power level is moderate.  Almost all players are power roles.
@Jack: What kind of clues?
Death flavour includes hints as to what killed.  Night action flavour can also have tidbits of information about your target or who targeted you, but vague.  Then there's sages, which get flavour information each night.
Are we encouraged or even allowed to post vote counts like this one, or is that strictly a GM or votebot thing?
You may find the lurker tracker helpful.

OSG: Not what flavour's used for in these games, most of the time.  What it does help us know is, say, which type of killer killed in a night.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2015, 12:35:29 am »

Birdy51: Communication.
Jack A T: Scumteams have to cooperate effectively if they want to survive.

We question him, thouroghly, roleblock him/investigate him during the next night while also protecting him; jailing if possible, since that does two of those at once, and then on the next day we either lynch him or continue to protect him.

flabort: How do we know there isn't?
I don't. At this stage of the game it's too hasty to decide what kind of scum team(s?) we're facing off against. All I know is that anyone who DOES know at this stage is part of that team.

To All:

And yes, I've read the GM's disclaimer about it.
They are all run by the same GM as far as I am aware. I participated in Supernatural 7, and from my experience there, I can say that most of the roles have been cataloged - general behaviors of each role are known, the general flavor-type clues that each role can produced are usually known. Specifics of each role can vary, though, and the distribution of roles can vary between games to the point where no, they don't always feature the same type of roles.

TheDarkStar: What importance do classic scum tells hold for you? What is the most important scum tell to look for? Or, would answering this question change the answer?

A significant amount, since some of them depend on the fact that the scum generally have insider knowledge. As you've pointed out, listing the most important scumtell would be counterproductive because it would tell the scum what to avoid doing. Why do you ask if you think that it can't be answered?
Because I wanted to know which question(s) you would choose to answer. As you've pointed out that I pointed out, I already knew the answer to the second question would be counter-productive. It's obviously a trap. I wanted to know if you'd suspect a trap in the last question and go for the more obvious trap in the second.

Uh... that made more sense in my head. It seemed more straight forward than that. Bluh.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2015, 06:30:36 am »

Peradon: I thought I saw it mentioned in the OP... Anyways, Mephansteras said that flavor was very important. The High Priest was murdered, God bless his soul, so maybe that's a clue?

birdy51: Alrighty then.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2015, 07:59:30 am »

All:

In a single word, describe what you believe what the most important aspect of Mafia is. Expound if you wish.

Winning.

Peradon: I thought I saw it mentioned in the OP... Anyways, Mephansteras said that flavor was very important. The High Priest was murdered, God bless his soul, so maybe that's a clue?
That is likely only the "motivation" behind the game. How he was killed (decapitation), could provide a clue. Maybe.

Cheesecake: At no point in the OP there is a single mention to a cult, other than the event order list. You seemed pretty adamant previously that there was a cult. Are you in possession of some knowledge the rest of us do not?

When flarbot asked you why do you think there is a cult, your answer was not the above, claiming you thought you saw it in the OP, but just vaguely insist there is one.
flabort: How do we know there isn't?
What caused you to change your position from "there is a cult" to "I thought there was a cult"? Was it Peradon's vote on you? Heat too much to bear?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2015, 09:18:55 am »

Teneb: I actually thought there was a cult. I swear I saw it somewhere.

PPE: I think I condused it with Cult Mafia 2. I was reading it and I sorta messed it up.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2015, 09:31:11 am »

Huh. Well, this certainly kicked off quickly. Let's see...

birdy, I don't know that there is a single most important part of the game. It all comes down to how you play it at the end of the day, and even the question and answer game is the most used tool, gut feeling plays a large part in it as well in a lot of cases.

Spruce, this is my first supernatural.

Tooney, I don't think it was mentioned. Did you mean that you want me to guess how many there are?

Penguin, see if their demeanour has changed and if so, who towards. I wouldn't see a whole lot of point in lynching them again straight away without knowing which side the revival came from or if they were just a zombie of some kind.

Persus, if a night goes by with no deaths, do you think it's more likely that there's a cult or a guard?

Cheesecake, why do you consider TDS's vote suspicious?

roo, are you planning on giving a reason for anything you do or should I just give up now?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2015, 10:05:08 am »

To avoid confusion, there are two different meanings cult could have in this game. The first is the standard mafia definition of cult as scumteam that converts instead of kills. The second is that the Cult is flavortext for a more conventional killing scumteam that has appeared in previous games. So that we can tell which one you're talking about, please use cult when talking about the standard mafia definition and Cult when talking about the Supernatural flavor scumteam. I've wasted a lot of time in previous games dealing with this confusion and don't want to again.

A warning to new priests. Be careful with your power. Use it wisely. Sometimes it is better that your power go unused then risking bringing back a demon because it can end up wasting a day or power roles that can be used elsewhere.

Meph: Are there any new elements in this Supernatural?

birdy51
Indeed! An ice-breaker question is in order.

All:

In a single word, describe what you believe what the most important aspect of Mafia is. Expound if you wish.
Enjoyment. Ultimately, Mafia is a game, and while I may not enjoy the more mundane parts of the game, my happiness at finding scum/fooling the town, being cleverly defeated, hilarious shenanigans by someone who isn't me, or dastardly setups revealed are what I love about Mafia. When people are not enjoying a game, their participation suffers. This can make it harder for the other players to enjoy the game as it makes the game more difficult.

flabort
Persus13: What would you define as a town tell? Or, would answering this question change the answer?
I can't think of a good solid town tell off the top of my head, but someone else revealing information that I also happen to know is true (that I hadn't revealed beforehand) tends to be more of a town tell then scum. Genuine town tells are rarer then scum tells because everyone wants to look town even if they aren't. I've probably seen scum do it at some point but it still is a mostly town thing to do.

Spruce
To All:

And yes, I've read the GM's disclaimer about it.
I Played in Supernatural 6 and 7. They're all run by the same GM and all have mostly similar roles. The primary things to keep in mind about Supernatural is that the scum team starts unknown, there usually (not always) is at least one third party, and flavor text is important as it tells you who did the kills. Most of the time in Supernatural, town wins by figuring out all the power role claims and infomation, and using them to figure out who the scumteam is or who has to be lying about their claims. Also, a lot of the inspect roles aren't that specific and usually require a mix of common sense/knowledge of previous games (Fortune Teller especially)

So far there have been 4 different scum teams:
Werewolves (Standard Mafia team, they tend to tear their victims apart and stuff)
Vampires (Start with a Vampire Leader, who then converts people to the vampire side, a cult in Mafia terms)
Cult (Not to be confused with the Mafia term for cult, these guys are a regular scumteam, although they have come with a one shot convert before. Tend to kill with nets and clubs, and make their victims disappear)
Dark Magus (Most recent Scumteam. Basically one guy with a bunch of one-shot abilities and a revive and can convert another player. Kills with Fire)

There's also been a couple of third parties. Demons are Serial Killers, Devils offer a oneshot in exchange for your soul. When they get enough they leave the game, taking the players who took their deals with them.  Necromancers are also Serial Killers, but need a body first before they can do anything. THere's also some benign third parties but I can't remember what they are off the top of my head.

Supernatural 6 town faced off against a three man Cult with a one shot convert, and converted a Monster hunter, giving them two kills. We managed to kill two of them before they beat us though.

Supernatural 7 I was the Dark Magus and got caught by the town's web of interconnecting information. I could have probably played better, but I almost won.

TDS:
Darkstar: This makes me curious. Why Dying in particular?

Because it's one of the main things that drives a mafia game. Even with a cult, lynching still occurs.
And because it often happens to you in Mafia games? Think you'll be able to avoid the Day 1 lynch this game?

OSG:
Upstanding citizens have also been scum. Stop being such a snob about thieves lovable rogues.

Deus Asmoth:
Persus, if a night goes by with no deaths, do you think it's more likely that there's a cult or a guard?
I will think it's Vampires or a one-shot convert. I doubt a guard will pick the right NK target night 1 as he's shooting randomly almost and he acts as a jailkeeper. There is also the Wizard who is a standard Doctor role, but the same goes for him. The other possibility is that a Knight got targeted by a kill, but he might claim.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2015, 11:08:22 am »

TDS: How long do you think it will take for us to lynch you?

Persus: You mentioned above that in previous Supernatural games, town often comes to a mass-claim. When do you think would be the best time for this?

Cheesecake: I'm not sure I trust that, but I guess it makes sense. I'm going to tentatively Unvote.

Spruce: You asked what the Blue Bold text means. Not sure if you were asking cheesecake in particular for a reason, but I'll answer. It's a Finger of Suspicion.
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2015, 11:35:13 am »

The Scribe's Tally Sheet
Cheesecake: roo, Teneb
Deus Asmoth: ToonyMan

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Monday

@Persus13 - No, not this time.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2015, 01:10:24 pm »

Persus: You mentioned above that in previous Supernatural games, town often comes to a mass-claim. When do you think would be the best time for this?
I expect the first claims to start D2, but the majority of the claims won't come until D3 or D4. As for the best time, it really depends on the game. Sometimes everyone claims at once, other times the claims are drawn out.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 42