Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ambushes in the heart of town  (Read 486 times)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Ambushes in the heart of town
« on: May 19, 2015, 04:43:35 am »

My fortress is experiencing quite a security risk as ambushes seem to be able to spawn in my town's central square. I wonder if anyone have tackled this kind of problem before. Would they stop doing that should I wall off all strands of the entire paeninsula?

here is a link to the map
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12446-passagetrumpet
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:02:57 am by dwarfhoplite »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ambushes in the heart of the town
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:06:38 am »

I doubt ambushes spawn in the central square, it's just where the ambushers are detected, provided they are ambushers, rather than siegers (ambushers are sneakers, and thus won't be discovered when they enter the map, but only when a dwarf (or tame animal) detects them). I've never seen any ambush, and they are thought to be incredibly rare. Kobold thieves are not that uncommon, though, although they are not much of a risk physically. Thieves can steal things, though, which is annoying.

Your town is completely insecure, in that it's completely open to access, so a rampaging Titan will get its fill of carnage.
Typically you dig down under ground to create safety, but if you want to build above ground for e.g. role playing reasons, that's valid, but more dangerous.
You'd secure your town by building a wall at least 2 tiles high with a further wall jutting out two tiles on top of that (i.e. build a floor out from the top of the wall, and then a wall outside of that. You have to build a temporary floor to be able to access the corner tiles). That wall should keep all walking and climbing enemies at bay. Obviously you will want to have raising drawbridges in the wall to allow access to the outer world (caravans, migrants, tree chopping, ...). Also note that you ought to secure the shore as well.
All of this is not safe, though, because there are flying threats as well, and if you want to be secure against those you'll have to put a roof over all of your town.
Flying pests, such as Keas, can steal things and grind activities to a halt with their pestering of your dwarves, as well as leading to a lot of unhappy thoughts.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ambushes in the heart of town
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 05:12:08 am »

I am playing the old version because the new one runs too slowly.

I have had migrants too appear in the dining hall. I didn't consider it a problem before that ambush of swordskobolds did the same thing.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:20:57 am by dwarfhoplite »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 05:25:55 am »

Haven't played the old version, but I've heard ambushes were reasonably common. They OUGHT to behave as I described, though.
Regardless, when having problems with older version, please state the version, because that makes it easier for those in the know to answer the correct question.

Edit:
The wall described is for the current version. I think a two tile (or maybe even single tile) high wall was sufficient earlier.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 05:27:49 am »

In old versions, if critters have nowhere else to spawn, they might sometimes spawn closer to the middle of the map - it was known to happen.

But the above poster is correct - your fortress if far from secure. Those blue triangles at the edge of ponds? Those are "ramps" and while not desirable, are not a barrier either. dig them out, 3 wide, and/or build your wall over them so the water itself is there.

Lots of enemies can swim, and/or climb walls by the way. You need to get MUCH more creative and aggressive if you want to turtle up - and if you don't, you need a rotation of military on-duty and spread out 24/7.

GL!

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 05:41:37 am »

That is bad news. I am now reforming the army and drafting every capable male, creating an order of ranks with their respective uniforms. The Dwarven Rome must defend itself against barbaric hordes.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 06:44:52 am »

Now a goblin ambush lead by an elf parked itself in my dining room/hospital killing seven, including an eldest son, Urdim II Alisbim and a father Urdim Alisbim himself, the founder of one of the better established clans. What is supposed to be the safest place of the fortress is actually the most dangerous.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 06:53:47 am by dwarfhoplite »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 09:06:47 am »

Lots of enemies can ... climb walls by the way.
Not in that version they can't...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.