Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Draw your fortress!  (Read 5379 times)

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Draw your fortress!
« on: May 19, 2015, 04:19:38 am »

Draw what's going on in your fortress!

The more bad drawings, the merrier :D

Here's my current one, Bellsweights:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:57:17 am by Magnus »
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Draw your fortress!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 07:26:15 am »

Spoiler: Amberfortune (click to show/hide)
Everyone sleeps in the trenches (or cries miserably in the hospital, or the mineshafts), the reindeer pen is the closest thing there is to farming, everything left out in the snow dies, goblins are afoot, polar bears try to steal our food and worse. Like spooky blizzard men and ice wolves. Appropriately a corpse pile left in the shape of a Dwarf face has accrued just north of the northern trenches. Underground, miners and haulers work tirelessly to dig up all the amber opals and move them into the sekrit fortress underground, which happens to have a certain special sword within.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 07:47:38 am »

how do you upload images into this forum...i cant find the option..other than the [img] one,,,but i think thats for linking images from elsewhere places

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 08:24:41 am »

how do you upload images into this forum...i cant find the option..other than the [img] one,,,but i think thats for linking images from elsewhere places

Upload it to a place like Here afterwards copy the direct link and put it between the [img] thingamagigs.
I've lost control of my life.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 08:50:31 am »

aight lets try it then. i hastily drew this together in paint. black are walls. the black lines leading through walls are doors, the blue shit is water,yellow is stairs up/down

rooms marked with alphabets are:

a:mainhall.stiarways upwards to trade depot and fort entrance. stairways downwards to finished goods used in trading
b:metal production. has stairways downwards to finished goods depot.
c:stone/metal storage
d:wood production. again a stairway to finished goods
e)wood storage
f:barrels and pots.
g:kitchen and food production
h)farms.also has grates that leads to an underground cavern(the black mark that is supposed to be brown) where i lead water to for later on usage
i)food storage
j)gathering hall/dining hall
k)living district. cba to mark all the invidual houses. also missing is the graveyard at the middle right side of this.
l:mayors office
m)hospital. also has a well that connects to the cavern(previously mentioned in part h)
n)barracks
o) royal guards captain lodgins.

most of my forts go with this formula. sorry for the long post.

EDIT: failed...

Space Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • undulates rhythmically
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 12:17:46 pm »

Here's Doombears, the only truly successful fortress I've ever designed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's an artifact showing some history of the Fortress(Have it be known that in my entire history of playing DF, I had never butchered a cat before this kid needed bones, and it felt terrible):

And here's an early, amusing encounter with a werecreature. The mechanic on the right is my expedition leader dragging a lead cage to the bottom-right unloaded trap, which if done twenty seconds earlier might have saved the poor fool from becoming my second casualty in Doombears. He must have shit his pants when he saw that thing and realized that all he needed was one more cage trap loaded. Shouldn't have taken that break, huh?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:21:11 pm by Space Wizard »

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 12:31:50 pm »

Here's Doombears, the only truly successful fortress I've ever designed.

Here's an artifact showing some history of the Fortress(Have it be known that in my entire history of playing DF, I had never butchered a cat before this kid needed bones, and it felt terrible):

And here's an early, amusing encounter with a werecreature. The mechanic on the right is my expedition leader dragging a lead cage to the bottom-right unloaded trap, which if done twenty seconds earlier might have saved the poor fool from becoming my second casualty in Doombears. He must have shit his pants when he saw that thing and realized that all he needed was one more cage trap loaded. Shouldn't have taken that break, huh?

is that top or side view?

Space Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • undulates rhythmically
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 01:51:57 pm »

Side, I make very vertical fortresses, never straying more than twenty or so spaces from the central staircase.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 01:57:32 pm »

Side, I make very vertical fortresses, never straying more than twenty or so spaces from the central staircase.

ah yes i can see it now.

i personally always stay close to the surface. and rarely ever build anything there. other than few fortifications.

the fort i linked is one step down from the surface and under it is just the stockpiles and water system. so the green(which i think is grass?) is a hill then? or is it flat land?

Space Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • undulates rhythmically
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 03:56:50 pm »

ah yes i can see it now.

i personally always stay close to the surface. and rarely ever build anything there. other than few fortifications.

the fort i linked is one step down from the surface and under it is just the stockpiles and water system. so the green(which i think is grass?) is a hill then? or is it flat land?

Yeah it's a hill, I guess the drawing feels more obvious because I'm so used to the map but for someone who hasn't actually seen my fortress it wouldn't be straightforward. Other than the lake and a plateau where my cap and silos sit, the entire map is like 25 z levels of steep hill. I love cliffs and hills for building. Feels dwarfy.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 04:05:48 pm »

PTW, I don't currently have a fort or the art-y-ness necessary to draw one.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 04:27:35 pm »

PTW, I don't currently have a fort or the art-y-ness necessary to draw one.
Shitty ms paint is best ms paint my friend

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 04:55:43 pm »

Shitty ms paint is best ms paint my friend

Aint that the truth.
I've lost control of my life.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 01:17:34 am »

(...)

That is one awesome fortress. With the werecreature, did you let the expedition leader die or was he beyond saving with military orders, burrows etc?
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Space Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • undulates rhythmically
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 03:49:08 am »

(...)

That is one awesome fortress. With the werecreature, did you let the expedition leader die or was he beyond saving with military orders, burrows etc?

I did set the burrow, but he didn't exactly have a chance to get away from that thing, as he was the one to discover it. He didn't make it five steps. I saw this coming anyway and locked the internal gate without risking waiting for him. I was kindof alright with it, because he felt that it was more important to haul things and build some floors instead of load cage traps, it took a good season or two for him to load those, I was annoyed with him. Felt like dwarf karma. I could have forced him to through labor management, but, w/e, fun is fun.
Pages: [1] 2 3