Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: (ISG) Pokemon: Team Plasma Fugitive  (Read 12519 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) Pokemon: Team Plasma Fugitive
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 03:41:07 am »

After spending weeks on the rickety old re-purposed torpedo boat called Hydreigon's Wrath, the sight of land is very welcoming to your eyes. More specifically, you are glad to see Gateon Port, your destination and one of few places in Orre that supposedly gets good reception. This is confirmed when the boat enters the harbor, and your Pokedex picks up a signal. Since you don't plan on leaving the boat until after dark, so that you may enter town unseen and nobody can easily trace you back to Unova, you spend several hours surfing the web, catching up on the news, and trying to contact friends.

Things look even more dire for Plasma now then they did when you left. All the sages have been captured, and all the hideouts that you know of have been sacked. The only brightspot is a report that Ghetsis was busted out of jail by the Shadow Triad, and this of course inspires you to phone your father.

He answers, and after a bit of small talk, the two of you get down to business.

"Ghetsis is starting the rebuilding process, boy, but it is looking to take years. Sending you away was the right call. Eventually we will have a new Team Plasma, free from N's silly ideals, but until then we need to lie low, and can't have a hotshot like you running around Unova and drawing attention to us."

"Well what the heck am I supposed to do until then Old Man? I'm not even going to be able to find work as a Pokemon Catcher in a land with wilds as barren as this!"

"Heh, whatever you damn well please boy. Orre is a lawless place. People openly carry portable Snag Machines, and gangs run rampant. I trust you will be able to carve out a niche, heck I'm even slightly worried that you might not want to return when we are ready for you! Once we get a bit more established over here, we can likely send you some work to do in Team Plasma's name if you want, but until that happens, just try not to have too much fun."

"Fun? In this dump of a region? I doubt it father."

---

It is a bit after 1am when you settle into the Krabby Club, which appears to be the local Pub and Inn at which the sailors from out of town dine, drink, and sleep. You ask for a room, and are given a key free of charge. The man at the desk explains that a wealthy merchant by the name of Mr. Verich has been covering all expenses at the Krabby Club for the past several weeks. When you inquire further, you are told that Verich has already retired for the evening, but usually receives visitors in his room during daylight hours.

At this late of an hour there is little to do. You suspect that the Pub and the Pokemon center are the only places in town still open, and you are unsure about exploring a new town in a crime ridden region after dark anyway. The Krabby Club is mostly empty at this point - only four other patrons occupy the dining room.

Two sailors are having a loud discussion in the corner. You recognize the smaller one as a man named Piston who works on Hydreigon's Wrath, the small cargo ship that the Shadow Triad hired to smuggle you into Orre. Piston is complaining that his boat needs repairs before it can make the long journey back to its home port in Unova, and the larger sailor offers him some work in the meantime; It would seem that somebody is needed to deliver a shipment of Eevee to the Pokémon HQ Lab further inland. The job offers about 2000 Pokeyen for a half days work or so, but Piston is reluctant to take it on; He isn't comfortable traveling in a land with a reputation such as Orre's

A man in a rather flamboyant uniform is watching a B Horror Movie on the TV. He occasionally shoots you an odd glance. Going off his clothing choice, it is likely that he is part of some criminal gang or another, and seeing how you are dressed in what more or less amounts to Ninja garb, he will suspect the same of you if he has half a brain.

A woman sitting at the bar sips a mixed drink while gazing intently at her laptop browser, which is opened to a Minecraft LP on youtube. While she is distracted, a small blue Pokemon with rather cotton-like wings pecks at her plate of food.

Settling down at a table to contemplate your next move, you order some chile, a bowl of Pokemon Chow, and a couple beers. You let your Vulpix, the only Pokemon you have that wouldn't give you away as being from Unova, out to eat the chow, while you make quick work of the rest. The others are still around by the time you finish, and nothing is stopping you from striking up a conversation or picking a fight if you want to. The beer has also made you a bit braver; You'd feel fairly comfortable wandering outside to see what sort of shady stuff goes down after dark and Gateon Port. You could also, of course, head to your room, catch some Z's, and set about exploring this strange new land in the morning.

Options, options... What do you do?  ...Also, feel free to nickname your Pokemon!

Game Status:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Simplified Character Sheets:

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 09:34:58 am »

Talk to the guy in the strange outfit. He's the only one that showed any interest in us when we walked in. If he was part of a local gang, joining up - at least for now - would remove any suspicion of our origin. It would be the perfect way to blend in for a little while. Right now, we still look way too much like a Shadow Triad punk.

But don't overplay our hand. We don't want him finding out, either. Gangs can be very territorial.

majinonifox1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 11:30:42 am »

Talk to the guy in the strange outfit. He's the only one that showed any interest in us when we walked in. If he was part of a local gang, joining up - at least for now - would remove any suspicion of our origin. It would be the perfect way to blend in for a little while. Right now, we still look way too much like a Shadow Triad punk.

But don't overplay our hand. We don't want him finding out, either. Gangs can be very territorial.

+1

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 01:38:17 pm »

I don't really disagree with this action, Though we also could just get the run-down about the local gangs from online boards.
More like a rough guideline, but unless we do something stupid, talking to mr. peacock shouldn't do us any harm either.

What I would discourage though, is to give away our former affiliation in any way. Not now, not later. We are a deserter, after all. While given the situation, it may be understandable, it would leave us open for a variety of assumptions and attacks, especially if we want to rise higher within our faction.

Does Piston know us?
Those couple of Evee's are not only adorable as fluff, they are also worth more than 2000Ľ. Tough luck, sailor-boy, should he take the offer.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 06:15:07 pm »

You approach the strange man, and start to introduce yourself, only for him to cut you off.

"Buzz off chump. I don't want any trouble with Cipher."

"Cipher? I don't even know what that is. My name is K-"

The man walks away before you can finish the thought, and finds a new seat across the dining room. From the new angle he presents to you, you notice that the stranger isn't actually paying attention to the movie, but is actually keeping an eye on the two sailors. Perhaps you are not the only one considering stealing those Eevee.

You know enough about Piston to know that your odds of taking him in a straight fight are not the greatest. His team of Dewott and Samurott is not only powerful, but possesses a type advantage over half of your Pokemon. It might, however, be possible to take the Eevee without bloodshed through trickery, or to wear down the strong water types in a battle of attrition.

Pulling out your Pokedex, you decide to turn to the internet for information on the local underworld. Sadly you are not able to find much. The only Orre New site seems to whitewash current events in a vain attempt to maintain the region's reputation. You are, however, able to find some rumors on online message boards, but you are unsure how reliable and accurate they are. A cargo ship called the S.S. Libra recently vanished with a hold full of Pokemon, and some people suspect this to be the work of Cipher, a terrorist organization that was defeated several years ago. Another rumor claims that a former Cipher admin by the name of Mirror B has recently resurfaced; Some people are claiming that he is recruiting for his own criminal team, and that he also occasionally moonlights as a dance act at the Krabby Club, the very pub in which you are currently sitting! Aside from that it seems that all the crime in Orre is small time, and nothing nearly as big or well organized as Team Plasma exists in the region.

Your reading is then abruptly interrupted by Piston, who approaches your table and dumps his leftover food in front of your grateful Vulpix.

"Hey shadow-man! Got a moment?"

"Sure. Sup?"

"Not much. Looking for work? I'm thinking of taking a transport job, but I got this nagging feeling that the creep in the helmet who just walked out overheard some of the details, and might be planning to ambush me. Wanna tag along and help me stomp a mudhole in the fool if he tries anything? We can split the payout."

The poor fool might have just made your job much easier... nice. What do you do?

Game Status:

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 06:49:04 pm »

Do we have a cap on the number of pokemon we can have? If not, plan Horde of Eevee must be enacted after we get the job.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 07:38:54 pm »

Plan: Let the Yellow Peacock take the brunt off of Piston;
Agree that we saw the guy being quite interested in their direction. Ask what kind of split he is imagining. If it is less than 50%, try bartering towards it.
[Halfheartedly, we don't wanna "scare" him away.]

Once we have gained an agreement with him, we point out that we will shadow him instead of going as a group. If our hunch is right, and the lad is indeed in a gang, he might just call for backup instead of trying himself, if he sees us together.
[Obviously, for us, there is also the fact that we seem to scare him off, and it would be downright great if he could whittle Piston down a bit.]

Oh, also - Pets and scratches for Vulpix!

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 08:02:16 pm »

Agree that we saw the guy being quite interested in their direction. Ask what kind of split he is imagining. If it is less than 50%, try bartering towards it.

Once we have gained an agreement with him, we point out that we will shadow him instead of going as a group. If our hunch is right, and the lad is indeed in a gang, he might just call for backup instead of trying himself, if he sees us together.
[Obviously, for us, there is also the fact that we seem to scare him off, and it would be downright great if he could whittle Piston down a bit.]

plus one. oh and whats the gender of our pokemon?
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 09:20:32 pm »

plus one. oh and whats the gender of our pokemon?

Oops. Forgot to copy that down to the simple sheet. Karrablast and Litwick are male, Vulpix and Shelmet are female.

Also, just noticed the link to the actual sheet is broken. I'll link it here for now and fix it with the next turn. You don't need to see the actual sheet or know the actual PTU rules to play along; I'll handle the mechanics for whatever wacky action you all come up with, but it is there for anybody interested.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 09:22:18 pm »

ptw
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

nuclearwhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 10:48:27 pm »

+1
Also, we should probably go fishing at some point, as every single Pokemon on our team is weak to rock, and while Orre is barren and lifeless, I doubt the oceans are. We could really go for a water type at some point in the future.
Edit: Spent a little bit of time on Wikipedia pondering names. I decided to go with a bit of a darkness/evil/death theme because it seems like something Kyurin would do. I think Karrablast should be named Mordred, after the character from Arthurian legend. Litwik should be tallow, as it's the most sinister candle-related thing I could find. Vulpix should be named eclipse as, while refrences to Japanese mythology would have made sense, I felt they were too easy, and eclipse refrences Ninetales hidden ability, while still being sinister-ish. Finally, Shelmet should be named Nephthys, as I felt refrencing ninjas would be too obvious, so instead I decided that accelgor's wrappings made it look kinda like a mummy, so it makes some sense to name it after an Egyptian death goddess(although I willingly admit that it is by far the worst nickname of the bunch.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:20:52 pm by nuclearwhale »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2015, 11:30:23 pm »

+1
Also, we should probably go fishing at some point, as every single Pokemon on our team is weak to rock, and while Orre is barren and lifeless, I doubt the oceans are. We could really go for a water type at some point in the future.
Edit: Spent a little bit of time on Wikipedia pondering names. I decided to go with a bit of a darkness/evil/death theme because it seems like something Kyurin would do. I think Karrablast should be named Mordred, after the character from Arthurian legend. Litwik should be tallow, as it's the most sinister candle-related thing I could find. Vulpix should be named eclipse as, while refrences to Japanese mythology would have made sense, I felt they were too easy, and eclipse refrences Ninetales hidden ability, while still being sinister-ish. Finally, Shelmet should be named Nephthys, as I felt refrencing ninjas would be too obvious, so instead I decided that accelgor's wrappings made it look kinda like a mummy, so it makes some sense to name it after an Egyptian death goddess(although I willingly admit that it is by far the worst nickname of the bunch.)
+1 to the action and the names.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2015, 01:28:08 pm »

+1
+1
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

majinonifox1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 06:12:22 pm »

+1
+1
Another +1 for the pile.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2015, 01:45:45 am »

"I might be intrested... what kind of split are we talking on the pay?"

"I'd say we are each guaranteed 40 percent, and if we do end up in a brawl, we can decide how to split up the other 20% based on who was more useful in the fight. Sound fair?"

"Not exactly. I know you are sitting on a fully evolved Pokemon. You would outshine me in any battle we fought together, we both know that. That deal favors you. How about a 50/50 split?"

"Ah, come on, your Pokemon are no pushovers, and you got more of them than I do, and I know ya got freaky shadow powers to boot. I'd say that cancles out the fact I have ol' Duke in my corner... How about this then? 45% guarenteed, and 10% held as a combat bonus. Better?"

"...I guess. You're on."

You and Piston shake hands. You then pick up Eclipse, pull her away from the scraps the sailor pitched it (you can't afford your Speed Demon getting fat), turn her over, and begin to administer a belly rub as Piston continues to talk.

"Alright then, partner, the guy giving the job said to meet him at Pier 7 at 1pm. He is gonna loan us a truck to make the journey. Supposedly the interior or Orre is too much of a wasteland to be traveling by foot."

The truck is both good news and bad. On one hand it implies the load of Pokeballs is big to merit a truckbed, and that you have an easy means of escape generously provided by your 'employer', but on the other hand it means your plan to shadow Piston and let him do most of the fighting is unlikely to work; One cannot easily shadow a motor vehicle without a motor vehicle or a fast and mountable pokemon of one's own, and you have neither.

You eventually bid Piston goodnight and head upstairs to catch some sleep before tomorrow's excitement. By the time you wake up and get breakfast in you it is 10am. You have three hours before you have to meet Piston at the pier.

---

The crowd in the dining room has changed quite a bit.

The flamboyantly dressed suspicious fellow has returned. He frequently checks his watch. Perhaps he too is planning on going to work sometime around one. He is seated near the stage, and you note that his uniform somewhat matches the act currently performing...

On the stage a man who must be that Mirror B fellow you read about on the internet last night dances to disco music. He is accompanied by two female backup dancers.

A middle aged man sits as far from the disco performance as humanly possible, and reads the paper. Today's headline proclaims the fact that Professor Krane of the Pokemon HQ Lab is nearing a breakthrough on his aura reading device.

An older gentleman is eating breakfast at the bar and talking on the phone. The conversation is about something technical and scientific that you don't understand.

Unsure of how you want to spend the time before you have to meet Piston, you pull up the browser on your Pokedex and look up activities and attractions in the area. You find the following notes:

-Fishing in the polluted waters of Gateon Port with a good rod often yeilds a Skrelp, Grimer, or Tentacool. Very rarely Tentacruel or Qwilfish may be reeled in
-Heading an hour up or down the beach to cleaner waters can yeild Skrelp, Tentacool, Mantyke, Remoraid, Horsea, Wailmer, and rarely Seadra with a good rod
-Gateon Port is home to a Pokemart with basic stock
-Gateon Port is home to a lighthouse where local trainers gather to battle
-Gateon Port is home to a herbal medicine shop that sells cheap but bitter healing items
-Gateon Port is home to a machine shop where motor vehicles are bought, sold, modified, and scrapped for parts

3 Hours to kill. What do you do now?

Game Status:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8