Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Whitebanner needs YOUR help!  (Read 3163 times)

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whitebanner needs YOUR help!
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 01:57:05 pm »

Dear lord how do I get rid of rotten food, miasma everywhere
D:
Redbanners is in trouble

always produce prepared food,always make sure you have extra booze ready, always make sure you have heaps of axe blade trap parts ready for trading,and always have atleast one squad of military up and running. when its possible ofcourse.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 02:03:01 pm »

Refuse stockpile outside. In future, make sure your food stockpiles are large enough.

I have a refuse stockpile, but none of my dwarves are hauling stuff there
Regards,
Dampe

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 02:35:40 pm »

And it's not full? Check your 'o'rders and make sure there's nothing weird going on with the refuse hauling. Also, make sure your idlers have access to the rotting items.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 02:49:11 pm »

...bad news is. i got no idea where she dropped it.

[z] -> Stocks -> Weapons ->  shift over to Hammers -> [Tab] (for expanded view) -> [z]oom to that particular item (or something like that).

Assuming you've bothered to assign a Record Keeper, and changed {n}oble Record Keeper {s}ettings to "highest accuracy" - it's worth it for exactly this reason.

What ores yield useful metals?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Ore

K, now THIS is actually a good question, one that isn't easily found on the wiki!

First, we assume(?) you've turned "Haul Refuse" on for at least some dwarves. (Dwarf Therapist is great for this type of management, btw. HIGHLY recommended!)

All labors/jobs have (sometimes "soft") priorities - dwarves who have multiple labors enabled and have the option to do one job or another will ~tend~* to do production jobs at a Workshop before Hauling, etc. And within Hauling jobs, they will tend to haul Furniture before Food, and that before Wood or Stone, and do almost anything before they Haul Refuse - that's about the lowest priority job out there.

(* Not always - it seems to be "weighted" more than prioritized with any absolutes, so it's not a bad idea to turn off all Hauling on your Mechanic(s) if you want those traps placed asap.)

So, to get Refuse Hauled reliably, you almost have to have a class of dwarf who are desgnated... trashdwarfs. Yep, (almost?) nothing but Refuse Hauling enabled, full time. And once your fort gets larger than the first couple immigration waves, that can be a productive full-time job for one peasant-caliber dwarf with no other useful skills to contribute, so no other dwarf wastes their skilled time with those jobs. (I'd still have Refuse Hauling enabled on most non-skilled peasants, so they can pick up the odd dead rat now and then, but once I'm over 40 Dwarves or so I have 1 who is "the trash dwarf". ymmv.)

See also this thread re related comments: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150892.0

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2015, 04:25:35 pm »

oh sweet Armok we're out of food and nobody told me in detail how to farm
(as an aside, redbanners has nearly made it two years without losing a single dwarf yet)
Regards,
Dampe

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2015, 04:27:48 pm »

The unlucky dwarf nominated to be the trashdwarf is Melbil Sackseizures.
Regards,
Dampe

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2015, 04:35:13 pm »

...bad news is. i got no idea where she dropped it.

[z] -> Stocks -> Weapons ->  shift over to Hammers -> [Tab] (for expanded view) -> [z]oom to that particular item (or something like that).

Assuming you've bothered to assign a Record Keeper, and changed {n}oble Record Keeper {s}ettings to "highest accuracy" - it's worth it for exactly this reason.

What ores yield useful metals?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Ore

K, now THIS is actually a good question, one that isn't easily found on the wiki!

First, we assume(?) you've turned "Haul Refuse" on for at least some dwarves. (Dwarf Therapist is great for this type of management, btw. HIGHLY recommended!)

All labors/jobs have (sometimes "soft") priorities - dwarves who have multiple labors enabled and have the option to do one job or another will ~tend~* to do production jobs at a Workshop before Hauling, etc. And within Hauling jobs, they will tend to haul Furniture before Food, and that before Wood or Stone, and do almost anything before they Haul Refuse - that's about the lowest priority job out there.

(* Not always - it seems to be "weighted" more than prioritized with any absolutes, so it's not a bad idea to turn off all Hauling on your Mechanic(s) if you want those traps placed asap.)

So, to get Refuse Hauled reliably, you almost have to have a class of dwarf who are desgnated... trashdwarfs. Yep, (almost?) nothing but Refuse Hauling enabled, full time. And once your fort gets larger than the first couple immigration waves, that can be a productive full-time job for one peasant-caliber dwarf with no other useful skills to contribute, so no other dwarf wastes their skilled time with those jobs. (I'd still have Refuse Hauling enabled on most non-skilled peasants, so they can pick up the odd dead rat now and then, but once I'm over 40 Dwarves or so I have 1 who is "the trash dwarf". ymmv.)

See also this thread re related comments: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150892.0

already abandoned the fort. just too fucking boring to run it...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2015, 01:27:59 am »

There's a thread on how to farm in the Gameplay board, which I think covers it in reasonable detail. The human caravan is always good for a quick food boost, too.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2015, 11:23:19 am »

Elven caravan usually has fruit, so you can make booze that way.
Regards,
Dampe

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2015, 07:51:53 am »

oh sweet Armok we're out of food and nobody told me in detail how to farm
(as an aside, redbanners has nearly made it two years without losing a single dwarf yet)

Alrighty then, let's do a crash course in not-starving-to-death.

First of all; until you want variety for morale purposes or are starting a textile industry, plump helmets are basically the only plant you'll need to pay attention to. They can be eaten raw (so you can just not cook them and not have to worry about seeds) wither instead of rot (so no miasma) and grow like dickens (if you take a proficient grower at the start, you'll get multiple harvests per season, each tile producing around 6 plump helmets) in all seasons of the year.

Make a single 6x6 plot and set it to farm plump helmets all year. You should have enough food for the first year or two of your fort.

This is a stopgap measure; you can just spam plump helmet plots to overcome any food/drink shortage, but it doesn't provide variety and doesn't provide prepared meals (which keep forever) unless you're comfortable with loosing some seeds.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2015, 08:09:23 am »

so is redbanner still alive or is it dead?

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2015, 11:42:03 am »

I lost about a year and a half of gameplay for some reason.
I saved, so I don't know what happened.
I think I'm going to forget the current redbanners existed, and try again after the next update.
Regards,
Dampe

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2015, 12:47:03 pm »

I lost about a year and a half of gameplay for some reason.
I saved, so I don't know what happened.
I think I'm going to forget the current redbanners existed, and try again after the next update.

bah. i just lost 82 dwarves inorder to gain a couple of fruits to use in brewing(despite having about 2000 barrels of alcohol in stock) and im doing just fine.you can bring redbanner back to glory mate!
Pages: 1 2 [3]