Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why Are my Goblins not spawning... I need goblins..  (Read 1102 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why Are my Goblins not spawning... I need goblins..
« on: May 18, 2015, 03:19:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is my entity file for goblins, iv been dealing with glitches trying to make this map over and over, and just when it all seems like its going to work it refuses to put goblins down, instead its just a double of one of the races already down, humans, dwarves and perhaps elves instead.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why Are my Goblins not spawning... I need goblins..
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 06:10:19 pm »

Did you put.

[OBJECT:ENTITY]

At the beginning of your file?

The file is not valid unless it has this. 

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 07:18:17 pm »

Did you put.

[OBJECT:ENTITY]

At the beginning of your file?

The file is not valid unless it has this.

Yes, it is there, otherwise the other races wouldnt be generating.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 07:24:04 pm »

You do have the actual name ([ENTITY:EVIL] for instance) on top of that mess, right? Just guessing what's omitted.

Does your world have demons? Considering how often goblin civilizations start with a devil escaping to the surface, that could trip them up.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 07:39:19 pm »

You do have the actual name ([ENTITY:EVIL] for instance) on top of that mess, right? Just guessing what's omitted.

Does your world have demons? Considering how often goblin civilizations start with a devil escaping to the surface, that could trip them up.

Yes and Yes.. Although I did set it so there was only one type of demon, it was so each world had a unique look for a devil like figure.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 07:50:35 pm »

Try with more types, then. It seems pretty random whether a given demon in the list is generated a UNIQUE_DEMON capable of world domination hijinks or just a DEMON footsoldier to man the adamantine tubes.

I'm currently looking at a world that was generated with 20 types of demons - only the species 5, 6, 7 and 8 are unique.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 01:00:52 am »

I believe the way it works is each civilization with dark fortress sites needs its own demon type that no other civilizations have, so having only one demon type per world restricts goblin civs to one. This might not actually be true, but I think it is and it would be quite easy to test. That's probably not the whole problem though. Try checking the "errorlog" file in the main Dwarf Fortress directory. If it's not there then that means there aren't any errors.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 01:47:29 am »

vjmdhzgr is pretty much correct. The number of dark fortress civilizations will be no greater than the number of demon lords (and can be less), and the number of demon lords can be no more than (and is often less than) one per caste of demons in the world. Setting demon types to one would frequently create worlds in which no dark fortress civ could be placed, and you'd pretty much never see more than one, even on the worlds where having one was possible.