Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I just want to GM a Pathfinder game! What do I do?  (Read 1230 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I just want to GM a Pathfinder game! What do I do?
« on: May 18, 2015, 10:17:45 am »

So since this isn't really life advice I'll put it here.

I am kind of stuck... The last two games I had involved me and the players creating a setting together... Though I'd always fall behind the writing...

But now that I don't have that or a setting (nor do I want to run a prepackaged adventure)...

I could run it the same way with the players creating their section of the world, and heck... I could just attach it to the current setting I am trying to make... but it is just too much work.

---

right now the setting I am working on is as follows.

The Gods themselves can only interact with the world by possessing the bodies of people, animals, and things and guide their people in the manner they see fit. As such most societies in this universe are heavily theocratic.

The Gods provide their people with strong crops, good weather, less disease, protection from other deities, as well as the ability to use magic... All for your worship. The gods do not need worship but have long since started to enjoy it and often revel in their control.

Because it is hard to survive in the world without a patron almost every city and town has at least one "avatar", without one you are at the mercy of the wilds.

-The Factions so far-

The Heroes and Paragons
-Flavor: Ancient Greece and Japan
-Goals: To create strong lineages of heroes and artisans
-Story: The first gods to ever grace the planet, they originally came with altruistic intent, to shepherd and protect their humanoid creations. They soon began to love their creations and through procreation learned that they could make children of their very own, even other gods. They groomed their children to be great heroes and thinkers hovering over them as they went along their ordinary lives. Their societies eventually became these warring families who went out to prove whose children is the best.
-Unique Aspect: They are by far the most numerous fruitful of all the factions with Avatars just being an ordinary part of life. Minor deities and demigods liter the streets.

The Stewards of the Underworld
-Flavor: Ancient Egypt, plus Ancestor cult
-Goals: To be the voice of the dead
-Story: These gods are the judges and stewards of the dead who went to earth in order to ensure that the dead could sleep in peace. The culture they left behind is one that worships and respects the dead and considers them equal to that of the living. Though alien at first the lords of the underworld soon found their affections for the living and blessed them with the knowledge of the dead, long lives, and even allowed some of them to live on in death, but their affections only go so far.
-Unique Aspect: The Stewards take avatars from the dead and command them without equal. Their lands are brimming with the undead as the Stewards shift the lands close to the underworld.

Destruction and Rebirth
-Flavor: Aztec and Indian
-Goals: Satiate their Bloodthirst
-Story: Creators of the Demons and Gods of destruction and rebirth they are constantly overwhelmed by an insatiable thirst for destruction, the ruins of their rages transform into glorious edens. Though they understand the necessity of this cycle they dislike it. They, however, found a solution. The blood and sacrifices of these lesser beings calms and satisfies them, for once in their existence they are free from this constant anger. Generous and gregarious these gods demand sacrifices of various degrees depending on their destructive capabilities. Yet there is something to these sacrifices for their people have the most riches, the best crops, and live the longest lives... So long as they don't miss a sacrifice.
-Unique Aspect: The gods of destruction are heavily linked to demons and destruction. Even Good clerics can summon as if they were evil. Demon binding, blood rituals, and such are all common.

The Warriors of Nature
-Flavor: Norse, Druidic, and African Tribe
-Goals: Prove who is the greatest warrior
-Story: War amongst the gods is deadly, it can create tears in the cosmos itself. Yet for warrior gods the lust of battle cannot be ignored and as such they chose a suitable battleground. They would use these beings to wage their wars. As an agreement, any god that loses joins the victor's side. Over time though the Warriors found that they preferred the glory of worship over the ravages of war and have been stretching out the war almost indefinitely, never making winning moves.
-Unique Aspect: The Warriors of Nature are all avatars of nature and command all manner of beast and elemental. Lycantropes and animal people are their creations. They dislike the fay though and the fay dislike them back.

The general idea is
1) None of the factions are evil and none of them are the good guys. Certainly some can have villains or heroes.
2) Avatars are not all powerful and their abilities outpace their combat abilities... Avatars have to grow in power anyhow.
3) I don't want Rome soo much! Unless there is a great way to incorporate them...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:22:24 am by Neonivek »

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: I just want to GM a Pathfinder game! What do I do?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:02:10 am »

So is the intention that the players are avatars?

Either way, I'm not sure exactly what help you're looking for. You seem to have the basic setting point there, so the next step would be to add details, which would depend where you want the campaign to go. Assuming it's just for your own use, then you only need a rough sketch of the regions that aren't where the players are, so just focus on that. Or at least that's how I go about it.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 11:04:48 am »

I think this might work better in creative projects though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 11:06:06 am »

Naw, if the players were Avatars it would require me to make up rules on how they work exactly.

And it would complicate the game as they have genuine power over people.

I think this might work better in creative projects though.

I am asking for more a general idea of how I should approach this... To get a game running... With people in the game... Who are enjoying themselves... then I am asking how to create the setting.

Besides here is how useful the Creative project thread is

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150759.0

I never get responses in there, and I don't mean that as a whine... I just flat out don't get responses... Ever...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:12:01 am by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:41:01 pm »

You are focusing on "OMG! Epic monsters!" right away. That's a bad practice. 

Questions: 
What level characters are you intending to let your players be?
What is the purpose of their adventure?
Do you intend to have them work cooperatively or do you intend to allow them to squabble?
Who is the villain, and what does he do? (and or, who or what is the antagonist. Your setting does not create one.)
What modifications on normal pathfinder rules do you have in mind, if any?
How long do you intend for your campaign to last?
What starting equipment do you intend to permit the characters to have, and--
what kinds of equipment drops do you intend to have available for your players?

I have only played Pathfinder once, and it was a pre-made sample campaign. It was enjoyable, more or less, but was very short. It had pre-rolled characters to expedite getting started.

To do this properly, you first have to make the high level concept, (Group does X to defeat Y, -- big picture wise) then focus on the places and things they need to go and do to accomplish that, then think about how you want the party to grow and develop along that road.  There needs to be side roads, red herrings, and other things involved to make the campaign interesting. Try not to put the game "On rails".  Encourage plot progression by making sticking around in early areas get boring, etc, but let there be SOME reward for looking around and exploring.

Your campaign scope seems to create a world where high power humanoids are commonplace, do you intend to introduce some dark elements, like what would actually happen in a world where supermen actually exist alongside those without superpowers? Do you intend to introduce the plot equivalent of kryptonite to help balance this dichotomy in social order? Etc.

It is important to keep in mind what is necessary for good narrative. You are looking for a world that is 'Freely explorable', so I suggest a "non-linear narrative structure", which has a starting point, and keeps track of certain variables to modify the global outcome of the narrative based on the reader (player) choices. You still need to come up with the overall PLOT.

Story plots follow some basic rules, which can help you run a better game. Those rules basically revolve around a starting condition story scape, a conflict of some kind leading to a climactic event (your epic boss, whatever), and then a winding down story arc.  Your current world design does not paint a plot-- it just paints a setting FOR a plot.  A good campaign has more than just setting, it has a plot-- that's why I keep harping over who your antagonist is, and what his/her/its motives are. It does not have to be a poorly designed tropism type bad guy-- it can just be somebody stupid doing something stupid, that endangers the world in a very serious way.  (say, a weak demigod scientist/mage doing experiments on demigods, creating a disease (on accident) that affects them in some abysmal way for instance-- which in turn, may be able to infect gods themselves due to shared genetic heritage)  There are all kinds of ways to create the source of conflict required for a plot.  Think about what kind of conflict you want your world to experience.  There has to be some point of contention for there to be story and narrative.  Invent one.

(here are some ideas for sources of conflict within/between your groups-)

1) The HeroFactory has a social problem; Their population has genuine supermen in it, alongside a population of ordinary, weak, humanoids. Supermen aren't guaranteed to be benevolent! There are going to be evil/crooked/malign supermen in the popluation. (EG, psychopath supermen) How does the population deal with its criminals, what tools does it employ to deal with them, and what are the implications of those tools and methods? Does the "normal" population employ magical prosthetic devices to operate on the same level as the supermen, or do the supermen have to undergo some kind of depowering to be in harmony with their less powerful kin? Is there ramant class warfare between the supermen and the weaker humanoids? How does this dynamic work, and what kinds of consequences does it have?   ALSO-- Greek heroes needed to go prove themselves in order to be proper heros. In a setting where there are lots of OP humanoids, they cant do that-- this means, culture wise, (using your chosen archetypes), the heros need to be itinerant, and go outside their little hero factory setting to go do great things to earn renown.  How do the other factions respond to having supermen constantly barging in, meddling with their business?

2) The underworld stewards have a social problem too: The more orthodox of their religious faith would consider the raising of the undead a profane act, since walking dead ARE NOT RESTFUL DEAD. Throw in some of 1) above (itinerant heros showing up, causing trouble), and you can have some serious shit going on there, as the heros either take sides with the necromantic power wielding reformists, or the necromancy abstaining orthodoxy.

3) The stewards of the dead shouldn't have issue with WHERE the dead they care for come from-- are there any political affiliations with the destruction god follower group you describe? That group would create absurd numbers of corpses, and the meddling affairs of heros would be especially dangerous to their status quo (preventing the genocidal sacrifice will bring about an apocholypse, etc.) Do the destruction gods find the supermen to be especially delicious? If so-- are there any plans by this group to sack and burn the hero factory? What rules do they have concerning demonology in public, etc.

4) What structures do the druidic groups you mention adhere to? What definitions of "nature" do they ascribe as being ideal? What views do they have on the boot knocking gods of the hero-factory upsetting the natural development of normal humanoids through cross-breeding? What views do they have about spending resources to sustain monuments to the dead? What views do they have about the destruction god's abandonment of their proper cycle?  Etc---

These groups have potential for natural animosities, based on their assigned tropes-- that's good, we have a powder keg ready to get lit.  But what is the catalyst of the plot?

Idea for a plot catalyst:

The herofactory solves its social problem "both ways'-- it creates powerful magical devices intended for use by normal humanoids, AND it uses techniques to de-power dangerous criminal supermen so that they can be properly incarcerated without incurring huge expense on the social coffers.  However, this creates animosity with the more destruction aligned supermen, who naturally find this setting unpalatable-- they seek to prove their obvious superiority through their obviously greater might and powers.  We only need ONE such individual.  Given that the cultists following the gods of destruction and rebirth revere gods that are openly destructive and or demanding, this is a ready made group of psychophants ready to stroke the egos of such vain supermen. Naturally, they will be drawn to take up residence there.  Being the offspring of gods and humanoids (and or, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gen offspring between hybrids) they will have godlike powers, and may fall anywhere in the spectrum between "slightly more magical than mundane humanoids" to "Very nearly godlike themselves", depending on how the subsequent hybrid pairings went off.  Culturally, they are not adverse to knocking boots with gods or other supernatural beings. The gods of destruction and rebirth have not really been knocking boots with their own followers, but would they consider that action with such a psychopathic high-powered demigod, taking up residence in their territory?  We will say that at least one of their number thinks this is an acceptable solution, since having a powerful destruction aligned demigod helps "assure" bountiful sacrifices-- and arrangements are made.  This makes the psychopath demigod happy-- he/she gets a population to ritually abuse and who faun all over him/her, AND the actual god of destruction for that region gets to reap the blood spilled by his/her psychopathy. Fast forward a few years/centuries, and you have some new hybrids with this new god and the demigod-- who return to the hero factory. They would represent a very dangerous element to their population, since the powers of these new demigods would favor destruction and rebirth, per their heritage, and not creation. Throw in the social justice system's forced depowering of criminal elements in their population, and you can get some god-on-god angst going on. (you did WHAT to my kids!?-- etc.)

The devices created by the herofactory to depower dangerous criminal supermen for safe incarceration could also be used as god killers. Depower a god sufficiently that it is no longer omnipotent-- and then kill it using conventional means.  A necessity for one culture becomes a dire threat to another.  WHoo!!!

The devices created by the herofactory to empower normal humanoids goes against the natural order for humanoids, which gets the druidic sects involved. May consider the hybrid offspring to be unnatural, and needing to be purged-- could very well be a very radical sect in this setting!

So-- we could say that we have a psychopathic demigod who settled into the destruction gods domain, seeking political assylum due to what he/she considers ideological pursecution because of the ideals of harmony and cooperation required for the herofactory social order to not be dystopian horror.  They settle in, make alliances, knock boots with real destruction gods, and make hyper-destructive 7/8 god (or something like that) offspring that are stomping around the world. Some of those go back to the hero factory to go visit grandma, or whatever.  This causes serious problems there, and some of them get depowered for their bad behavior. This causes animosity in the celestial domain, which causes all kinds of shit to happen-- Hero factory is under attack by the gods of destruction, new things are being created by the creation gods to counter the destruction, and groups opposed to the meddling seize the opportunity to end said meddling using the very tools of the meddlers against them.

BOOM-- major plot conflict ready to drop players into.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 01:38:58 pm by wierd »

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 01:28:06 pm »

To add a couple of things:

It is very very important to consider the implications of your changes to the setting. As weird said, the avatars would greatly change the dynamics of the world.It's important to figure out those changes to make the world immersive.

My personal favorite way of creating plot in campaigns is not to plot everything else. get your overarching story, then figure out the key points. Attach each key point to something in the world (preferably something the players would have to go to great lengths to destroy) with some means of saying where/what the next thing is. Then make a backup path for each. between the points, feel free to dot out a path, but be careful not to make it the only path. Players can and will come up with ways to completely usurp your chosen path. The above trick lets you shift said things around to wherever the players end up, making the plot feel more like the players are stumbling upon it rather than it being forced upon them.

Else, seconding weird. Figure out your intended playerbase and the world's possible conflicts and base your plot around that.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 02:15:27 pm »

Now I am going to make this post before looking at all the new responses people have made in here. I'll edit in the second part to this post after I read it.

But let me predict the response. People have taken offense to my last post and are blaming me for my last topics lack of popularity... and generally people are just being disruptive and unhelpful in general.

That is at least the typical response I get here... But hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised and someone here actually left a rather detailed post that gives me a good guideline of the actions I should be taking now... And that everyone in here is getting along with no one taking shots at me.

---

Yay! Helpful posts!

You are focusing on "OMG! Epic monsters!" right away. That's a bad practice

It isn't that, I just wanted the flexibility to throw anything at the characters and not deprive them of a baseline of knowledge. The themes actually come with benefits and sociological differences in the cities themselves.

What level characters are you intending to let your players be?

5 or 8

What is the purpose of their adventure?

This I honestly don't know. I am used to my last two games where the stuff the players provided me allowed me to craft specific adventures to aid them.

Mostly they are there to pool each other's resources and do together what the current socioeconomic climate doesn't allow.

Do you intend to have them work cooperatively or do you intend to allow them to squabble?

They are always allowed to squabble, but I am expecting them to work together somewhat.

Who is the villain, and what does he do? (and or, who or what is the antagonist. Your setting does not create one.)

Anyone can be a villain. It is quite easy to make an avatar or two a villain. It is just that the factions are not good or evil.

What modifications on normal pathfinder rules do you have in mind, if any?

Mostly none. Mythic Adventures would certainly be one I'd use IF there was suitable material for it.

How long do you intend for your campaign to last?

I like going for the long game... but with a end goal.

What starting equipment do you intend to permit the characters to have, and--
what kinds of equipment drops do you intend to have available for your players?

Any and any... I usually randomize it partially and then include some stuff myself.

Your campaign scope seems to create a world where high power humanoids are commonplace, do you intend to introduce some dark elements, like what would actually happen in a world where supermen actually exist alongside those without superpowers? Do you intend to introduce the plot equivalent of kryptonite to help balance this dichotomy in social order?

No it is more that this is more or less a "benevolent" but oppressive regime controlled by what is essentially the church... except one where it is backed up by actually doing things.

The Avatars are more like the Pope, Papa, and President mixed together then they are living incarnate gods as far as the narrative goes.

I guess what I want to get across more than anything else is this sort of vicious cycle of dependence. You might want to break apart from the gods and force your own destiny, you might want to create your own societies, and all that... But ultimately the world is set up for you to fail... and while the deities aren't malevolent (outside a few outlier individuals), they are ultimately the ones who dictate what is best for you. Almost like having your parents run your life for... your entire life.

Yet the people who fall under this are split between how they feel about it... and on the two extremes you have people who are violently opposed and those who prefer it and would fight to the death to maintain it.

And while the gods themselves MIGHT be able to understand both sides of the argument... Not only are they addicted to this cycle, but they are rather invested...

What structures do the druidic groups you mention adhere to? What definitions of "nature" do they ascribe as being ideal? What views do they have on the boot knocking gods of the hero-factory upsetting the natural development of normal humanoids through cross-breeding? What views do they have about spending resources to sustain monuments to the dead? What views do they have about the destruction god's abandonment of their proper cycle?  Etc---

The Druidic group is the result of crossbreeding that the Hero-factory did and as such they are already treated as more of the bastard children. I didn't put it there but all the gods are part of the same family.

The Druidic group are more "Might Makes Right" and consider even human settlements to be an extension of nature... But they have more of a sort of animal mentality in that if you build a settlement, people reserve the right to take it from you and any means to do so is considered valid.

It is why they don't get along with the Fay, because the Fay believe in a more benevolent ideal of nature.

-- I'll continue this post in a bit --
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 02:36:34 pm by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 02:30:38 pm »

And you doubted us? ;P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 02:49:27 pm »

1) The HeroFactory has a social problem; Their population has genuine supermen in it, alongside a population of ordinary, weak, humanoids. Supermen aren't guaranteed to be benevolent! There are going to be evil/crooked/malign supermen in the popluation. (EG, psychopath supermen) How does the population deal with its criminals, what tools does it employ to deal with them, and what are the implications of those tools and methods? Does the "normal" population employ magical prosthetic devices to operate on the same level as the supermen, or do the supermen have to undergo some kind of depowering to be in harmony with their less powerful kin? Is there ramant class warfare between the supermen and the weaker humanoids? How does this dynamic work, and what kinds of consequences does it have?   ALSO-- Greek heroes needed to go prove themselves in order to be proper heros. In a setting where there are lots of OP humanoids, they cant do that-- this means, culture wise, (using your chosen archetypes), the heros need to be itinerant, and go outside their little hero factory setting to go do great things to earn renown.  How do the other factions respond to having supermen constantly barging in, meddling with their business?

Likely the way they solve problems is that it stays within the families and any serious altercations are actually handled by the deities themselves. As such the families likely try to stay on eachother's good side, to some extent, so they don't demand retribution should there be a disagreement. Perhaps make deals on the side so that if some important "hero" ever got into a scrap they could bail them out.

2) The underworld stewards have a social problem too: The more orthodox of their religious faith would consider the raising of the undead a profane act, since walking dead ARE NOT RESTFUL DEAD. Throw in some of 1) above (itinerant heros showing up, causing trouble), and you can have some serious shit going on there, as the heros either take sides with the necromantic power wielding reformists, or the necromancy abstaining orthodoxy.

They are also with the undead constantly and just being near one of the Stewards when you die can mean you would come back. They don't care as much about necromancy but they do consider creating zombies on someone who was unwilling as a violation, but not violently.

3) The stewards of the dead shouldn't have issue with WHERE the dead they care for come from-- are there any political affiliations with the destruction god follower group you describe? That group would create absurd numbers of corpses, and the meddling affairs of heros would be especially dangerous to their status quo (preventing the genocidal sacrifice will bring about an apocholypse, etc.) Do the destruction gods find the supermen to be especially delicious? If so-- are there any plans by this group to sack and burn the hero factory? What rules do they have concerning demonology in public, etc.

The Destruction gods are quasi-demons (actually they ARE demons... but players wouldn't understand that if I said they were) but their demon progeny are born of their malevolence without any of their temperance.

They are definitely often a bit over zealous with their sacrifices and have no issue sacrificing prisoners of war or doing it as part of razing a city.

An issue the destruction gods could have, of course, is that those that are sacrificed in their name do not actually go to the underworld. They are reincarnated... As well passing people through the underworld is kind of a waste to the destruction lords.

This is ignoring that the Destruction gods can always become enraged and start breaking a path...

---

I do admit I haven't thought of just having the entire setting take place in like... a single small region.

Have it be actually a sort of "Neutral territory" that all the factions created.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 02:52:38 pm by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 02:58:35 pm »

(small region)

Think about the ancient greek myths--- they all take place in and around the tiny little peninsula and agean island chain.  Oracles at Delphi, Huge stomping brass collossi at Crete, a bull monster at Minoa, etc.

Each little city state had a patron god or goddess, rivaling each other to prove that their patron was the best and most worthy of worship. It had scholars in Athens, dread military despots in Sparta--- all on the same tiny little mass of land.

Your world does not NEED to be huge to be interesting. 

However, I see problems in your explanations for the hero factory.  Over a sufficient length of time, "Family control" breaks down-- usually within 3 to 4 generations- Great great great granddaddy creation god will end up spending all his time keeping his several hundred throusand kids in line, that unless he is a genuine godmode sue, he wont be able to watch them all closely enough.  This means conflict within the family, and eventually family rivalries, no matter what the views and wishes of the divine progenitors are.

That's why it needs a social justice system, and one capable of dealing with renegade demigods. You really DO need to think about that.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 03:03:55 pm »

Perhaps the heros are said justice system - the gods have realised the flaw in family control, and are trying to correct their mistakes. or else some mortal agency has taken it upon themselves to do it.

One issue I see with your approach is that you're trying to explain away conflict - conflict is the bread and butter of an RPG, and should actually be highlighted in the setting.

Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 03:10:19 pm »

I am trying to explain how they might work together :P if they are too opposed then it makes no sense for the players to work together or there would just be perpetual war and cold wars.

That's why it needs a social justice system, and one capable of dealing with renegade demigods. You really DO need to think about that

I actually think the opposite. It has a very poor social justice system that ultimately breaks down but the "favored sons and daughters" have it rather cushy.

The families deal with themselves and if the god doesn't deal with it himself then he delicates to someone in his family or asks another family to do so.

Meaning every family itself has its own laws.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:15:10 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 03:17:57 pm »

Perhaps the heros are said justice system - the gods have realised the flaw in family control, and are trying to correct their mistakes. or else some mortal agency has taken it upon themselves to do it.
That... actually sounds a lot like Exalted, particularly in regards to the Dragonblooded and Immaculate Order. Semi-divine and mortal forces coming together to  (among other things) police divine and semi-divine beings that have gone out of control.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 03:24:10 pm »

Dont be afraid of the "Love-hate relationship". 

I am not opposed to the idea of powerful humanoids walking around calling down meteors on everything.  I just want you to consider the consequences on identifiable society that such a development would have.  Godmode Sue is NEVER any fun-- OP Sue is OK, but she needs to have a bounding framework.  This is a common problem with table top game settings-- people make the gods omnicient and omnipotent, when in myth and legend, they cockblocked each other all the time, which is what created the basis of the myth conflicts.  This by definition means that gods cannot be all powerful, and must have boundings-- which means they must have weaknesses. Dont be afraid to let players abuse those, just have there be natural consequences for doing so.  Natural consequences are always better than arbitrarily imposed ones.

Dont be afraid of these consequences; they CAN be quite interesting.  Take for instance, a culture that learns how to play all the gods against each other perfectly, and thus be able to selectively control reality for themselves via that mode of manipulation.  The implications can be quite delicious for creating narrative.

Just remember, a world without conflict has no plot, and the adventurers are basically out toodling around for no reason whatsoever-- that gets boring really fast.  You WANT seeds of conflict, even if you dont sprout them immediately.

Family delegating rules:

Look at traditional mafiaa families. That is basically what you are prototyping here. It does not work past a few generations of removal.  Demigods have godlike powers and human like weaknesses in character and mind-- Something to consider is Dunbar's number.  Past a certain number of people, it becomes impossible for people to keep track of all the connections between the group.  This means that while the divine progenitor might be able to notice shennanigans, his/her ability to command his children and grand children diminishes with each subsequent order or removal from that progenitor's immediate family circle.  Eventually, the great great great great grandkids couldnt possibly care less what that old fool wants done.  That's the problem. (and after sufficient orders of removal from that, you end up with self-defining family circles that openly REJECT the progenitor's will.  Given enough like minded demigods, they may well be able to counter even heavy handed correction from that progenitor! Family defined rule is DOOMED to splinter apart into rivalling factions.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:34:42 pm by wierd »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 04:38:18 pm »

I didn't want the demigods or avatars to be anywhere close to that good. The Avatar's abilities are more far reaching then they are combat effective.

You can more then get a squad of mortals together and take down a demigod or even an Avatar.

Sure some are more powerful than others... but we aren't dealing with an entire town of Hercules... more like an entire town of Ulysses.

Look at traditional mafiaa families. That is basically what you are prototyping here.

I was more thinking of the ones where the individual families are most like a guild onto itself.

You COULD try to splinter off... But if you want to work you have to be part of this family... What? You wanted to start your own? Well hope you enjoy poverty!
Pages: [1] 2