Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I deal with floating tiles/trees?  (Read 2222 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
How do I deal with floating tiles/trees?
« on: May 18, 2015, 01:22:44 am »

I created a cave-in but not before removing all ramps. Now all the ramps are literally floating 20 z levels above. They periodically cause cave-in so they need to be deal with.

So is there a way to remove them, dfhack or not?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:44:27 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I deal with floating tiles?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 02:23:07 am »

I can't say I can picture what you describe, but I guess you should be able to build a regular structure (floor, stair,...) from which a dorf could either channel or shear (d-z, remove ramps) those away, alternatively just build structures that "reanchor" the floaters.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 02:32:36 am »

Oh, it is like this:

This map is actually a 46x46x20 pit. Buiding stairs from 20 z levels below is as hard as creating the cave-in.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 05:20:12 am »

Dfhack has (had, at least) the command to remove the ramps designated to be removed, "deramp" I think.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 05:20:46 am »

You don't have to build stairs from the bottom. You can dig stairs in the wall from above or below, and then reach out through the wall to the offending tiles. If channeling/ramp removal works you can use bridges to reach the tiles. Another alternative is to cave-in on top of the offenders, which should eliminate them.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 07:10:30 am »

You don't have to build stairs from the bottom. You can dig stairs in the wall from above or below, and then reach out through the wall to the offending tiles. If channeling/ramp removal works you can use bridges to reach the tiles. Another alternative is to cave-in on top of the offenders, which should eliminate them.
Unfortunately, I collapsed the entire map. So there's no tiles above them, nor can I dig near the map edges.

Dfhack has (had, at least) the command to remove the ramps designated to be removed, "deramp" I think.

Ah, thanks. That is exactly what I need.
It just fixed all bad ramps in one go.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 07:17:32 am »

Ah, random cave-in still happened after I removed those ramps.

Maybe there were hidden tree branches when I dropped all those trees?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 07:50:58 am »

Hm, so you've got a single tile embark and caved all of it in? An interesting approach to getting rid of trees... Very dwarfy! Will also remove complications such as caravans and immigrants in one fell crash. I would probably just have strip mined the whole thing, though, since the amount of mining required is the same (or probably less, since soil is quick to mine, and you don't have to organize the isolation of the cave-in area).

I don't know what happens with trees falling due to a cave-in, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if parts of them get suspended in mid air, and quite possibly turning invisible as well. I'd probably check the bug tracker for that kind of bugs.

After deramping, did the ramp tiles disappear or turn into floors? I would have expected the latter. If the falling tiles are floors, you could build a 20 level high tower and then branch out to the offending tiles to channel them away. If it's invisible branches I guess you just have to wait until the sky's out of meteors...

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 08:19:26 am »

After deramping, did the ramp tiles disappear or turn into floors?
They disappeared. But cave-in problem was not fixed. Actually I don't know what is causing that. Because the sky is as clean as glass...

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 02:44:29 pm »

Ah, random cave-in still happened after I removed those ramps.

The "deramp" command was not intended to fix floating ramps; it most likely did not fix whatever was making the game think those ramps were supported, leaving the game in a state where cave-ins continue to occur.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1547

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 07:12:37 pm »

Those floating ramps are all downward without their upward counterparts. So I guess that is why deramp removes them.

The situation was exactly like what ptb_ptb described in that page. So those ramps work like advanced bird traps.

Edit*

I tried tiletypes command. Just found the reference here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.msg5945603#msg5945603

Although it removed the ramps too, cave-in still happened...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 08:06:38 pm by utunnels »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 10:44:47 pm »

Hey guys. But there were suddenly trees floating in the air! Real fully grown trees!

I turned off cave-in in d_init.txt, then this just happened.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:46:23 pm by utunnels »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 03:05:59 am »

Get a ballista up there and obliterate them with ballista bolts!
A more boring alternative is to build floors out to them and then chop them down, but that should result in you getting some logs (in a deadly shower). My ungrounded suspicion is that getting rid of the trees will also remove the meteor showers.
Also, do the trees disappear from view when you reenable cave-ins?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 03:13:21 am »

I reenabled cave-in and ...crash!.... the trees smashed all soil layers which had been dropped by the original cave-in.
It was not expected. Because cave-in usually only destroy floors.

Anyway, I got a flat inner ground because those murky pools were also smashed flat...

However, if I disable cave-in again, trees still grow back.

tl;dr It didn't solve the problem.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:15:19 am by utunnels »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 03:29:07 am »

Weird!

You said trees grow back: Do you know if the same trees grow back, or if new ones appear to replace the old ones, but in new places? In the first case the cutting and ballista methods might still work.

Smashing all the soil? You mean it not only made craters where the trees fell, but it actually caused the whole of all soil levels to vanish? Potent stuff indeed!
Pages: [1] 2