Hell
- 3 (14.3%)
Other? Post in thread
- 1 (4.8%)
I'm GM and want to see the results.
- 4 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 534

Author Topic: Eclipse Heights School for the Supernatural OOC -- Hextuple Incendiary Chainsaws  (Read 433867 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

The controversial ones ARE Kiri and John. I don't see anyone complaining about, say, Wiles or Plutarch.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile

Then you run into the issue of fucking vampires and kitsune being on the same level as Dimitri and Mimu.

Which is really funny, but stats don't have to be balanced in between characters. Distribute stats as necessary.

No stats makes things easier If players ensure their characters make sense.

Which never happens, because power struggles always emerge between the scrubs. Like this one, here.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The controversial ones ARE Kiri and John. I don't see anyone complaining about, say, Wiles or Plutarch.
That's my point. Put it up to a vote. Settle the mater once and for all. And I'll be happy to remove both my characters should a vote determine it be required.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But then you'd need to agree where to stop the stat bonuses.

As it is, Twin's doing a good job of balancing, given that only two characters out of a cast of about twelve-fifteen characters are being complained about.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Why would someone be eating fire in a showmanship setting cause we're using that scenario? Plenty of people eat fire at circuses. It's still fire.
And how often do they do that at a cosplay convention? John thinks it's like that, not a circus. Not to mention that having purple fire would likely require the burning of some sort of metallic salt normally.

How about this then? We let it come down to a vote. For either every single character and species or just the controversial ones. Ones with enough votes against them are removed or completely nerfed. Addresses the concerns about John and Kiri in one fell swoop.
Again, how do you know what John thinks if he isn't your character?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But then you'd need to agree where to stop the stat bonuses.
You could set a stat cap and allow people to distribute less than the stat total. Or just provide a dedicated dump stat that does nothing at all.

Why would someone be eating fire in a showmanship setting cause we're using that scenario? Plenty of people eat fire at circuses. It's still fire.
And how often do they do that at a cosplay convention? John thinks it's like that, not a circus. Not to mention that having purple fire would likely require the burning of some sort of metallic salt normally.

How about this then? We let it come down to a vote. For either every single character and species or just the controversial ones. Ones with enough votes against them are removed or completely nerfed. Addresses the concerns about John and Kiri in one fell swoop.
Again, how do you know what John thinks if he isn't your character?
Mdk stated that John considered it to be a costume fest. Not a circus. This isn't even a countermodel this time.

Thoughts on the voting proposal?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Disagree. It's unnecessary when there aren't that many characters complained about to begin with.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Voting proposal seems rather pointless and poor form for an rp. Just would devolve into a lynch mob of exclusion.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which differs little from the current situation. You are arguing that that John's ability is stupid and OP. Others, myself included are arguing that Kitsune are OP and that the sources of lore are questionable. It already IS a two-way lynch mob.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, but that's the point. Two characters. Unless someone starts complaining about Plutarch, or Yuri or Larissa, I really don't see a point to subjecting all to a nerf vote when in all honesty the most OP ones short of said controversial ones are self-nerfing or have IC reasons not to be broken.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The odd thing is that the op pls nerf crowd is targeting Kitsune. When we have a Manifestation of Every Negative Emotion Ever that can make the world go poof if he gets mad enough and a beholder, whom is the same power level as Kiri, just less squishy and bound by fewer rules and weaknesses.

mdk666

• Bay Watcher
  • cheaply produced multi-functional biological tool
    • View Profile

So basically Clap Your Hands If You Believe in terms of everything affecting him. :P

Nah, more like an inverted Magic Feather, because his overconfidence is his downfall.

But his body isn't Affected unless he is subconsciously aware of it. So he'd be aware of how badly he got burned.

I don't think that's quite how reality works. If you receive a fireball in the face, it'll burn your freakin' face off regardless of your awareness of it.
That isn't how reality works. That's what his player is said how it affects his character. Shit doesn't do jack unless his character believes it does something. Which is sorta stupid and honestly one of the things that we can class as OP as shit here. Since by that logic it means even the principle couldn't do jack to John simply if John believes it does nothing.
The principal knows exactly what John is and can therefore do whatever he wants with him.

----------------

Johns body is functionally human because he has unconsciously made it so. Every bit of info about how the human body is supposed to work and how it is supposed react to external and internal effects John became aware of over his time in existence went into making it more and more indistinguishable from normal humans.

John doesn't need a body to live, but he needs a body to interact with his environment and to fulfill his purpose.

Oh, and  I not only stated that John thought that there fast a costume fest, I had John ask about a costume fest at the beginning of the (un)common room incident.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:44:03 am by mdk666 »
The world will look up and shout: "Spare us."
And I will laugh.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile

As it is, Twin's doing a good job of balancing, given that only two characters out of a cast of about twelve-fifteen characters are being complained about.

True, although a lot of that comes down to none of the fights being serious, and the Principal interfering when stuff could get bad. We'll see what happens in the future.

voting

I can see the benefit of voting in a specific circumstance. If an issue repeatedly appears, the GM should respond appropriately. If he can't decide on a proper course of action, a vote seems like a sensible solution. Overpowered characters is a reoccurring issue.

Yes, but that's the point. Two characters. Unless someone starts complaining about Plutarch, or Yuri or Larissa, I really don't see a point to subjecting all to a nerf vote when in all honesty the most OP ones short of said controversial ones are self-nerfing or have IC reasons not to be broken.

We're not subjecting all, we're just reviewing the broken ones.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Then why not just vote only on two? Narrow it down to the controversials?

The odd thing is that the op pls nerf crowd is targeting Kitsune. When we have a Manifestation of Every Negative Emotion Ever that can make the world go poof if he gets mad enough and a beholder, whom is the same power level as Kiri, just less squishy and bound by fewer rules and weaknesses.
You mean Torimus who was limited to only beams and emissions, and has now screwed his own physiology over so that his output is lowered? And a beholder whose main abilities are mind-reading and eye-lasers as opposed to general-purpose electrical fire that disrupts normal magic and is multiple uses in addition to illusions and pseudo-psionics?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Then why not just vote only on two? Narrow it down to the controversials?

You mean Torimus who was limited to only beams and emissions, and has now screwed his own physiology over so that his output is lowered? And a beholder whose main abilities are mind-reading and eye-lasers as opposed to general-purpose electrical fire that disrupts normal magic and is multiple uses in addition to illusions and pseudo-psionics?
Also, the Beholder hasn't tried using much if any magic from what I've seen and they haven't stated to only be motivated by 'it amused me'.
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 534