Hell
- 3 (14.3%)
Other? Post in thread
- 1 (4.8%)
I'm GM and want to see the results.
- 4 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 534

Author Topic: Eclipse Heights School for the Supernatural OOC -- Hextuple Incendiary Chainsaws  (Read 433146 times)

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile

So why are you complaining? Nothing seems out of order.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

Except the results AREN'T uncertain.

The entire premise of this fight is basically for the teacher to beat the shit out of everyone and get a measure of them.

You're _going_ to lose.

No question about it.

There's no point to rolls if the result will ALWAYS be 'the teacher beats the crap out of you'
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, but my point is, rolls are used for everything because everything is uncertain. For starters people are just saying that they punch. How is the punch angled? Do they brace themselves or tense up beforehand? What is their stance and posture? Is it on the centerline? Or is it off it? Is it straight? Or curving? Is it committed or non-committed?

We know the teacher is going to kick everyone's ass, but we don't know the exact details.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

Yeah, but my point is, rolls are used for everything because everything is uncertain. For starters people are just saying that they punch. How is the punch angled? Do they brace themselves or tense up beforehand? What is their stance and posture? Is it on the centerline? Or is it off it? Is it straight? Or curving? Is it committed or non-committed?

We know the teacher is going to kick everyone's ass, but we don't know the exact details.

Okay to explain freeform to you since you obviously don't get it, and that's what we're supposed to be doing for little details.

You don't roll to see if an attack hits.

You describe your attack to the best of your ability and then the other guy describes their defense, whether it works or not. In this case, since you're VASTLY more powerful, the answer is 'no' unless they have a REALLY good defense/attack.

You then respond back and forth until someone loses.

ffs we voted on this.

Source: I've been freeform RPing for about ten years now. I have experience with this bullshit.
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile

Freeform should be decided OOC, because otherwise the counterfest ensues. Rolls are only used when neither side is ready to give in, because their attacks/defenses are balanced as decided by a third party.

Freeform really only works when the GM or equivalent has a lot of control over the combat, because otherwise it tends to deteriorate due to either impatience or lack of oversight.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

Freeform should be decided OOC, because otherwise the counterfest ensues. Rolls are only used when neither side is ready to give in, because their attacks/defenses are balanced as decided by a third party.

Freeform really only works when the GM or equivalent has a lot of control over the combat, because otherwise it tends to deteriorate due to either impatience or lack of oversight.

Well sometimes that can be fun :P

But yeah, generally if there's a question the first path is to talk it out, yo.

not resort to rando.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know how freeform combat works. I've seen the stalemates. The problem here is, Pandora isn't using her advantage in power. She's basically just probing their offense and defense, as opposed to presumably just making them trip over and bang their heads against nearby objects for the entire fight until they become unconscious.

I'm not saying they should be using rolls I'm saying they need to describe their actions a little more detail if they want to be able to make it work. Because otherwise it's just going to consist of people punching and having their punches rejected.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

I know how freeform combat works. I've seen the stalemates. The problem here is, Pandora isn't using her advantage in power. She's basically just probing their offense and defense, as opposed to presumably just making them trip over and bang their heads against nearby objects for the entire fight until they become unconscious.

I'm not saying they should be using rolls I'm saying they need to describe their actions a little more detail if they want to be able to make it work. Because otherwise it's just going to consist of people punching and having their punches rejected.

Oh.

Well in that case yeah you got it right.

Fuckers describe your attacks proper so we can do this the fun way instead of everyone praying to Cado.

Also this might come from long experience but when well-executed I love the counterlock.

Even when I lose, just because if you get rekt it's your own fault for it happening.

Also, for anyone wondering, the reason Tori exploded is because his normal method of controlling his Malice is to expect everything it's gonna do ahead of time and react as it does it. Unfortunately something he can't perceive is causing the Malice to get all agitated and it's doing weird stuff, meaning he can't properly use that method.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 12:10:33 am by ragnarok97071 »

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile

Basically, me Rolling a 1d20 vs 1d20 is Pandora holding back. If she used full power attacks on the student, she would be down 2-3 students already.

But yeah, Detailed attacks get more description returned even if you failed the roll. So more detail makes rolls not matter.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

Basically, me Rolling a 1d20 vs 1d20 is Pandora holding back. If she used full power attacks on the student, she would be down 2-3 students already.

But yeah, Detailed attacks get more description returned even if you failed the roll. So more detail makes rolls not matter.

Ideally you just don't roll if people do enough detail to write a reasonable response.

difficult in melee, to be honest, which is why I prefer casters.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My point exactly Rag, though we haven't really had much description yet.
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

My point exactly Rag, though we haven't really had much description yet.

Shame I'm not there to show you how it's done, though I could have Eve send one of her familiars for a bit of training if you're up for it :P

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Depends. Will it be sparring or full on combat?

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

Depends. Will it be sparring or full on combat?

Training, so sparring. No magical abilities or Trumps allowed. Just sheer physical demonstration.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'm down for that.
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 534