Hell
- 3 (14.3%)
Other? Post in thread
- 1 (4.8%)
I'm GM and want to see the results.
- 4 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 534

Author Topic: Eclipse Heights School for the Supernatural OOC -- Hextuple Incendiary Chainsaws  (Read 431822 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A Shell Script fits your definition better in my opinion. A shell script is also programmed, and works on a series of sequential steps that operate on a universal format that acts as both the input and output of each step. And instead of throwing an exception, or doing something it isn't meant to (or, in the case of Javascript, fucking up and then proceeding to give no fucks about said fuck up and continuing regardless of how bad said fuck up is even though you'd rather it not, though then again you don't really make programs in Javascript anyway being more of an abomination of a scripting language), it might just delete really important files and replace them with useless garbage just because you forgot to have two redirect arrows instead of one. And it involves more cat abuse.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

A Shell Script fits your definition better in my opinion. A shell script is also programmed, and works on a series of sequential steps that operate on a universal format that acts as both the input and output of each step. And instead of throwing an exception, or doing something it isn't meant to (or, in the case of Javascript, fucking up and then proceeding to give no fucks about said fuck up and continuing regardless of how bad said fuck up is even though you'd rather it not, though then again you don't really make programs in Javascript anyway being more of an abomination of a scripting language), it might just delete really important files and replace them with useless garbage just because you forgot to have two redirect arrows instead of one. And it involves more cat abuse.

Well then, there you go.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

But yeah.

Kev we are going to have so much fun.

And you are probably going to have SO MANY visits to the damn teacher's room if you intend to actually pass her class XDDD

Since you, as a race, have a hard time consciously learning new spells, apparently.
A hard time until tail#4.

Magic doesn't really work the same with Kitsune as it does with normals. Presumably the teacher would be altering certain parts of the course in respect to the Kitsune to focus on what the race does best. Since it's pretty damn futile to bother with orderly spells on a race that doesn't compute with them. It's like trying to have a savant at computers build a robot. It doesn't work.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Issue with shell scripts is, sorcery would also fit into it (since it isn't too hard to just write them off the cuff), which makes the analogy break down a bit when both parts of it get represented by the same thing.

Which makes me think that this boils down to another vi vs emacs thing.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

But yeah.

Kev we are going to have so much fun.

And you are probably going to have SO MANY visits to the damn teacher's room if you intend to actually pass her class XDDD

Since you, as a race, have a hard time consciously learning new spells, apparently.
A hard time until tail#4.

Magic doesn't really work the same with Kitsune as it does with normals. Presumably the teacher would be altering certain parts of the course in respect to the Kitsune to focus on what the race does best. Since it's pretty damn futile to bother with orderly spells on a race that doesn't compute with them. It's like trying to have a savant at computers build a robot. It doesn't work.

Well obviously your practical lessons will be on sorcery. Which is her specialty anyway.

It's a shame that Larissa isn't in Magic Theory, I don't think.

Teaching her would be fun.

Issue with shell scripts is, sorcery would also fit into it (since it isn't too hard to just write them off the cuff), which makes the analogy break down a bit when both parts of it get represented by the same thing.

Which makes me think that this boils down to another vi vs emacs thing.

Well, Sorcery is more like entering commands in a command line manually.

Except you have about a tenth of a second to input each command or else the whole process will just shit itself and die.
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile

This all seems too complicated, why don't we just do what people on Milenko's home do, namely jab magic rocks into oursleves in the hopes that they do their most common result and not cause us to explode or something.

It worked for Charlemagne, hes immortal now.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Are you guys arguing over stupid stuff again?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, uh, you actually do enter shell scripts on the command line, (as in, you can save it in a textfile, or just run it straight off on terminal).

Does this mean the distinction all boils down to just whether or not you save it into a metaphorical textfile before use? :P

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

Nah.

Not really an argument.

Mutual march toward understanding, I... Think?

We're not arguing, are we emp?

Yeah, uh, you actually do enter shell scripts on the command line, (as in, you can save it in a textfile, or just run it straight off on terminal).

Does this mean the distinction all boils down to just whether or not you save it into a metaphorical textfile before use? :P

Yeah basically.

Same language, different expression.

Fits relatively well.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes

Also is Proj still awake/on?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah.

Not really an argument.

Mutual march toward understanding, I... Think?

We're not arguing, are we emp?
Not really. I'm just asking questions and Rag is answering them.

Same language, different expression.
Ah, so like theoreotical paradigms and whatnot (or vi vs. emacs if the two parties have an irrational dislike of each other). That makes sense.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

Alright so for those with mental stuff just so things are clear.

Trying to read T's mind is kinda like trying to understand a conversation held in whispers across the room while this is playing at about 300% normal volume, layered over itself a few hundred times, on a noise cancelling headset.

Not technically impossible, but the sheer amount of processing possible would mean that even if you ARE capable of technically perceiving it, it'd take so much processing that it wouldn't really be worth it.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This all seems too complicated, why don't we just do what people on Milenko's home do, namely jab magic rocks into oursleves in the hopes that they do their most common result and not cause us to explode or something.

It worked for Charlemagne, hes immortal now.
I guess it's because people would keep on mixing it up with crystal meth and before you know it, you've got magical junkies running around wrecking havoc :P

But in all seriousness, probably just the usual addiction to complexity. Plus I don't think Rag wants all his classes to consist of "Grab a rock, stab self with rock. Are you dead? No? Repeat."

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To be fair its a little more complex than that. Certain colors and types of Qurtiz do different things, with a very small chance of outliers. They're safe unless your number 1 out a million whose arm turns into the devil or something.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile

It's a shame that Larissa isn't in Magic Theory, I don't think.

Teaching her would be fun.
Why?
thincake
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 534