Hell
- 3 (14.3%)
Other? Post in thread
- 1 (4.8%)
I'm GM and want to see the results.
- 4 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 534

Author Topic: Eclipse Heights School for the Supernatural OOC -- Hextuple Incendiary Chainsaws  (Read 430375 times)

Bluexdog

• Bay Watcher
  • Most likely in the RTD section
    • View Profile

The principle is GOD!!!!!!!!!!!1
No sig yet

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Personally I think removal from existence is a bit too severe of a punishment for murder. Being killed in return is much fairer in my mind.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

Hm... I call bullshit on the Vampire weaknesses, those are added after the fact, and contradict a lot.
Not only that, but if we use all the fluff on them, we'd end up with Twilight vampires.
So it's safe to assume they're different kinds of Vampires.

The original vampires needs to be impaled through the heart with an oaken stake and then decapitated to die.
Running water burns them like acid, and sunlight makes them unable to use their powers (but they probably know Kung-fu, so don't get cocky).

No, the original vampire is a zombie.
You're thinking of dracula, which is decidedly not the original. The most popular 'classical' vampire story, but not the original.

And the vast majority of tellings at least include sunlight, fire, and water as major weaknesses.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

I wonder if anyone has ever written a fantasy book revolving around a bunch of masquerade-ing supernats' reactions to things like the World Wars and the Nuclear Bomb. Would be kinda interesting.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

How does one define running water?

Cause technically all water is moving. Due to the whole. Being on a rock hurtling through the void at millions of kilometers per second.
Rivers, stormy oceans, even water that's being poured counts (drinking doesn't count).
As long as it's not standing around in a container, it should count.

Hm... I call bullshit on the Vampire weaknesses, those are added after the fact, and contradict a lot.
Not only that, but if we use all the fluff on them, we'd end up with Twilight vampires.
So it's safe to assume they're different kinds of Vampires.

The original vampires needs to be impaled through the heart with an oaken stake and then decapitated to die.
Running water burns them like acid, and sunlight makes them unable to use their powers (but they probably know Kung-fu, so don't get cocky).

No, the original vampire is a zombie.
You're thinking of dracula, which is decidedly not the original. The most popular 'classical' vampire story, but not the original.

And the vast majority of tellings at least include sunlight, fire, and water as major weaknesses.
The severity of sunlight isn't very consistent, especially with the daywalkers.
So it's safer to assume there's more than one kind of vampire.

Even the turning aspect differs, some turning people with just a bite, others have blood rituals, and some have natural birth.
Though I guess we can say anything involving Christianity can be safely ignored, due to how inconsistent it is.
How does buying land make it holy? And why does it only apply to that specific plot? Why is god's influence stopped with a 1 meter stone wall? Why can't it go through the open gate?
Basically, holy ground doesn't make sense.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

I'd assume the various OTHER gods would substitute their holy grounds- i.e Shinto shrines or something.

I'd assume it's because that ground's been purified due to being consecrated as a place of worship. To prevent loophole abuse, the place has to be properly designed to be a place of worship (I.e you can't just stick a shrine in for it to be holy ground, it's got to be outright purpose built).

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

Best explanation I've heard for the 'holy' thing is, simply put, Faith. See, only true believers are protected by crosses and stuff, right?

That's because what repels them isn't actually some divine right, but the fervent, adamant belief that the item in question can repel evil.

Like, say, a mage being able to repel vampires using the symbol they strongly associate with their magic, or the belief that statues of foxes can repel evil spirits.

The land is considered holy ground because a large group of people BELIEVE it to be a holy place.
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And in the case of real, existing gods, their holy ground is reinforced by bolts of divine retribution should you be foolish enough to violate them.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:24:52 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

And in the case of real, existing gods, their holy ground is reinforced by bolts of divine retribution should you be foolish enough to village them.

Considering gods are usually depicted as at least partly powered by their worshipers, the two are not mutually exclusive :P

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

And in the case of real, existing gods, their holy ground is reinforced by bolts of divine retribution should you be foolish enough to village them.
Soooo.. We can't build villages in the middle of churches?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not sure that building a fucking load of huts where you eat and take craps smack dab in the middle of where you're supposed to respect them is exactly respecting your gods :P

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

Not sure that building a fucking load of huts where you eat and take craps smack dab in the middle of where you're supposed to respect them is exactly respecting your gods :P

Though lands which are themselves considered holy might have a similar effect, church or not.

So um.

Stay away from the vatican , Jeruselam, Mecca, and certain parts of Ireland, everybody :P

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Well, Shinto shrines can be dedicated to the spirits of the land, which makes much more sense.
And the places where the spirits' influence reach is simple: It's where they reach.

Unlike god who has specific locations of influence, except when his area of influence is literally everywhere.
Like I said, it's inconsistent.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

Well, Shinto shrines can be dedicated to the spirits of the land, which makes much more sense.
And the places where the spirits' influence reach is simple: It's where they reach.

Unlike god who has specific locations of influence, except when his area of influence is literally everywhere.
Like I said, it's inconsistent.

Hence, Faith.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We could go for the idea that 'little g' gods are known to exist and the areas sacred to 'big g' God are sacred by true faith.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 534