Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Considering forum upgrade  (Read 23838 times)

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Considering forum upgrade
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »

I don't mind avatars, so long as they are unobtrusive and not large files.

I would likely do anything I could to block massive signatures (especially images) or resort to reading about the game's development via the wiki.

Nothing turns me off more than the HUGE signatures over at EVEOnline.  BLEH!

I *would* like a better search feature, but I admit that I love the simplicity of this forum.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2008, 12:11:00 am »

This is what I know about them, and I'm no expert, but:

phpBB doesn't have mods, in the plugin sense, afaik (I don't think version 3 has it either). It has "hacks", which are basically scripts that mess around the source code of phpBB itself to add functionality.

Also phpBB is made of pure unadulterated spaghetti code that's just grown over the years.

SMF does have mods, plugins or whatever. I think it's cleaner, and it's very popular too. I'd recommend it.

If you choose phpBB, I don't think I'll notice tho, I'm not the one who's going to be screaming in horror everytime a new function is gonna get added or the forum software updated to a newer version  ;)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2008, 12:12:00 am »

Also if people hate sig banners and crap, I think it's trivial to set a limit, like, 60 pixels high maximum or whatever. I'm all for avatars tho, half the time I can't tell who's posting. Some people even have the same first 4 or 5 letters in their name :P

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2008, 12:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sergius:
<STRONG>
Also phpBB is made of pure unadulterated spaghetti code that's just grown over the years.
</STRONG>

Of course, if you think about it, so is DF.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2008, 01:11:00 am »

I think new software is a good idea. Either no avatars or avatars only for donators and/or people who make useful shit for the community like the map archive or the file depot, etc.

vallannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2008, 02:13:00 am »

So, the current consensus seems to be "SWITCH NOW!" and to SMF. Let's start a new thread for discussion of features, the avatars/no avatars debate etc. Keep this thread for Toady to decide on which software.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2008, 04:02:00 am »

Make the following into 2-color gifs:
code:
///////
/'o'o'/
//'<'//
\//=///
 \//

code:
  /\
/  \
/ 0 /
\  /\
\/\ \
   \ \

And for those hippy-haters:
code:

\_---_/
\[X'X]/
\.<./
 \=/
_______

Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2008, 04:41:00 am »

Obviously some people aren't reading the thread before posting, or they would see that the "no av/sig" suggestions are a bit frivolous...

quote:
Originally posted by Sergius:
<STRONG>SMF does have mods, plugins or whatever. I think it's cleaner, and it's very popular too. I'd recommend it.</STRONG>
That sounds handy. Can you bookmark threads in SMF?
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2008, 05:35:00 am »

hy all if there will be avatars i would use that one:

would you people mind that?

an idea: we could make a thread where everyone present his avatar so we can say in diplomatic ways yes it is ok, no pleas or so.

Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2008, 06:14:00 am »

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2008, 07:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Jackard:
<STRONG>Obviously some people aren't reading the thread before posting, or they would see that the "no av/sig" suggestions are a bit frivolous...

That sounds handy. Can you bookmark threads in SMF?</STRONG>

Not precisely in that way, no. However, there are a couple of very similar features.

First, you can enable notification of replies for any topic. When someone posts to one of the topics you're watching, you can have it send you an e-mail notifying you of the new post(s). These notifications can be immediate for every new post, immediate but only for the first unseen post (until you visit the topic again), a daily digest of watched topics with new posts, or a weekly digest.
You can also see an ordered list of your watched topics in the order of which has the newest post. So, this works basically like a bookmark, but you have to dig into your profile to find it.

Secondly, you can view a list of topics which you've posted to at any point in the past that have new posts in them beyond what you've last seen.

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2008, 07:39:00 am »

Thirdly, you could just bookmark the thread in your browser  ;)
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2008, 08:19:00 am »

The email thing is rather old-fashioned. Never used subscriptions on other forums - requiring a middleman can be inconvenient and it may end up spamming your inbox.

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>Thirdly, you could just bookmark the thread in your browser                ;)</STRONG>
This is only partly why it is useful. It doesn't sound as though you are familiar with it, so:

With bookmarks, you can bring up a list that tells which ones are unread. Some setups even count the number of replies! Not just every thread you've posted to in the past - any thread that you are specifically interested in. It's similar to having a customized forum, really.

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2008, 08:24:00 am »

I did a search of the official SMF mod page and found a few different bookmark mods, at least one of which works with SMF 2.  I have no idea what the quality of the mod is.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2008, 10:47:00 am »

One thing I'm hoping for is an official moderator for some of the sub forums, say, the suggestion forum in particular.  Being able to merge similar discussions would help idea organization so much, as would being able to have someone give descriptive thread titles, for those people who insist on making threads titled "An idea I just had" or "A couple of suggestions".
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11