Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Considering forum upgrade  (Read 23840 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Considering forum upgrade
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

Oh come off it, you're exaggerating.  They're not that bad.

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »

Alright about all this Sig/Avatar whining, as long as it's an option in the users profile, individual from all other users, that allows you to disable sigs or avatars, huzzah.

No need to punish everyone for the mis-deeds of a few.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I would like to say that I would respect you a hell of a lot less than I do now if I associated those pictures with you.</STRONG>

Admittedly they are rather cute.  I've got more...what's the word.  Not feirce, not adult (gives the wrong impression, same with mature), more....well, less childish.

(I should get one that looks like the bitter old grump that I am, at my ripe old age of 22, or is it 23?  No, not quite yet)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2008, 12:01:00 am »

For the additional moderation options, I am behind a switch. I have some (very little, but some) experience with SMF moderation tools, and they are fairly good. And flexible. And stuff.

Also, I am also a visual identification person, so avatars would be cool by me. Adblock is quite an effective tool in the war against respect-losing images in any case.

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2008, 12:25:00 am »

Regarding the avatars, shouldn't at least half of those dwarves be on fire, with the other half being crushed by elephants / carp / unicorns?  Also, more should be tantruming.

quote:
For the additional moderation options, I am behind a switch. I have some (very little, but some) experience with SMF moderation tools, and they are fairly good. And flexible. And stuff.
I hope we don't need any additional moderation options.  It would be nice to have an easier way to follow and track the 'future of the fortress' threads, though...  this forum isn't too good at handling such big threads.

Oh, and here's a proper Dwarf Fortress avatar, trimmed from a larger commemorative image for Boatmurdered made by Locus:

Although ASCII shots or images of in-game text describing horrific battles would probably be even better.

Something like this:

...only maybe for a more interesting part of a more epic fight.

...hmm, I need one with "the stray kitten has been struck down" or something similar (enough of the text to make it clear what it says, at least) at the bottom of the screen...

Personally, though, I should add that I'd be just as happy with no avatars (and unless they're hosted elsewhere, they'll place a strain on the server.  Important to fiddle with that setting so they're not hosted here, I suppose.)  It's not as though fancy images are really the Dwarf Fortress way...  just put some ASCII in your sig and be happy with it!

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2008, 01:22:00 am »

Here's the avatar I always use:

Don't really care much about the avatars. Image sigs - now there's something that I hate. More often that not because they're too large, bursting at the seams from Photoshop filters, and commonly used for obnoxious advertising (much like all those damn MiniCity or whatever the hell it is text-sigs that are all over the place. YOU KNOW WHO I'M TALKING TO)

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2008, 03:18:00 am »

I think most of us can agree about those image sigs.. ugh. massive colorful things  that take up far too much visual space and draw the eye away from the facts at hand..
a 150x150 or such avatar is perfectly fine by me.. a visual queue.. little more, maybe a funny blurb. its all good.
The New Moo!

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2008, 03:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>Regarding the avatars, shouldn't at least half of those dwarves be on fire, with the other half being crushed by elephants / carp / unicorns?  Also, more should be tantruming.</STRONG>
The last two posts, I got some from Three Panel Soul and the others from Strike the Earth! All DF fanart... also I'd like to point out that two of them DO have carp problems.                   :)

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2008, 05:13:00 am »

SMF gets my vote...as long as it's kept simple. Up to date my absolute favorite would be the Taleworlds setup. It's SMF, it is simple, it looks good and it functions excellent.

And by the way, why are people against avatars and signatures anyway? Just have some pixel size limit/sig limit and that's it. Then have a few moderators do their moderating stuff is someone puts up something inappropriate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2008, 10:25:00 am »

"Just have some pixel size limit/sig limit"

That still interfears with the layout of the site

"Ohh look, this nice black and white... and OHH MY GOODNESS A WALL OF RED!!!"

It turns the layout into a large mass of clash with Sig pics

Goodness... If getting the new forum means we must get Avatar and Signature pics... then I'd actually vote against the move. This forum has everything I personally need as it is.

Heck there isn't even a need for stickies anyhow except as user defined ones

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »

Ooh. User-defined stickies. I like that. Then there would be no "STICKY THIS PLZ" type posts.

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: Tahin ]

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tahin:
<STRONG>Ooh. User-defined stickies. I like that. Then there would be no "STICKY THIS PLZ" type posts.</STRONG>
In phpbb3, you can bookmark threads in your user profile - this is similar to stickies. I don't know if SMF has a similar feature.

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>Heck there isn't even a need for stickies anyhow except as user defined ones</STRONG>

Are you kidding? There is a massive need for stickies. There are a lot of questions that get repeatedly asked, again and again and again and again. One or two stickies would cut down a lot on Forum spam. Just look at the Suggestions Forum - how many suggestions do you see repeated week after week, month after month...

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2008, 05:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>"Just have some pixel size limit/sig limit"

That still interfears with the layout of the site

"Ohh look, this nice black and white... and OHH MY GOODNESS A WALL OF RED!!!"

It turns the layout into a large mass of clash with Sig pics</STRONG>

If you disalow the [img] tag in signatures that won't happen.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2008, 07:00:00 pm »

>No avatars and no sigs! No graphics of any kind, only ASCII

Quoted for truth

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11