Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Considering forum upgrade  (Read 23835 times)

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
Re: Considering forum upgrade
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by LASD:
<STRONG>I also dislike having the post count visible with every message. It just seems like the people with the most messages would be in some way more important than others.</STRONG>
True, forgot about this. Post counts are better off left out.

More examples:

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2008, 04:13:00 pm »

forums generally come prepackaged, its like installing a program.. a bit of complex configurations and what not.. as well as learning how to manage it.. but honestly, unless you know the language, your not going to be able to modify them easily.. they may not be compiled, but their horribly complex..

for toady who should be working on dwarf fortress.. the forum does need an upgrade, and it would be easier to upgrade to a new forum with all the nice features (and sure, some of the annoyances.. but come off it.. most of the annoyances mentioned are pretty weak.) Dont be afraid of change! remember, even Dwarf Fortress will change with time. the website and forum will likely reflect that.

The New Moo!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »

New forum software? sure why not. I don't have any problems with this one but if the new one is better and we won't lose posts/members then go for it.

Sig pics? No. just no. I don't know who ever thought it was a good idea to make an option for these.

Avatars? only if they are limited to various colored smiley dwarf faces from the game, and maybe a few other options like (E)lves (H)umans and (&)emons. A huge NO to allowing people to put whatever they want, that's almost as bad as sig pics.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

I don't think forum-approved and hosted avatars are the way to go, if only because I don't think Toady'd wanna go through the hassle of asking permission to use them- or dealing with people submitting them constantly.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>only if they are limited to various colored smiley dwarf faces from the game, and maybe a few other options like (E)lves (H)umans and (&)emons.</STRONG>
Might as well not have them at all if this route is taken - they aren't really avatars, then.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2008, 06:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by LASD:
<STRONG>I say no for pic sigs and no for custom avatars. I strongly dislike them and the stupidity that usually comes with them. Even if there was an option to not display avatars and sigs, it wouldn't prevent people commenting on them.</STRONG>

Is this board really that immature?  Honestly.

I can barely remember who is who (besides ThreeToe and Toady) because I'm a visual identification person.  Provided that you don't change your avatar (often)* I'll more easily be able to remember who said what in an exchange.

*obviously, if you change your avatar to something similar the change will be less noticed.  For instance, I use this avatar on another forum:

And this one on another:

And this on a third:

(Ok, I lied, two of those are LJ icons, however, I do have a good collection and only so many forums, I just picked three I could quickly link--note: I actually own the artwork presented)

Yes, there are retard icons out there (*cough*    *cough*) but I should think that DF Forum Goers can be expected to have a higher quality to their icons than that.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »

I would like to say that I would respect you a hell of a lot less than I do now if I associated those pictures with you.  I really don't think avatar pictures are a good idea, as they really do bring a certain mentality along with them.

Also, what is it with all these failed picture links recently?  Or am I the only one who's not picking up on them?

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »

aye, thats pretty much how it goes.. name and avatar to quickly recognize some one.

this is the one I use everywhere.. :P

The New Moo!

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2008, 07:35:00 pm »

My vote is for SMF. As for avatars and signature images, I say they should be allowed so long as they aren't annoying. "Annoying" of course would be very broad, and a user with a bad avatar/signature could be petitioned by a reasonable number of users (or by Toady or an new mods) to remove it. I do know that SMF allows individual users to turn off the display of avatars and signatures.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »

About the general avatar/signature thing I think it might be better to have that exactly like on this forum; no pictures, no avatars. because it's simple.

Thou, I do have a avatar I would use if it ended up allowed

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2008, 09:18:00 pm »

I would like to make one request for the new forum: Going directly to a recent post. If you look at today's posts, clicking on the links provided takes you to the first page. I want the links to go directly to the posts.

Thats what I would use. That or a GIF of a legendary U. Blinking and everything.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2008, 09:54:00 pm »

both PHPBB and SMF have that feature.. :P so its a non issue.
The New Moo!

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2008, 09:54:00 pm »

Go for the upgrade. I can't really voice any opinion on which one, but stickies alone would make it worthwhile regardless of which one you went with. I don't care if there are avatars as long as I'm able to turn them off for myself. No sig pics, though that seems to be the general consensus already. Also, I'd request a limit on sig size/length. There's a handful of people around here that have sigs that are almost always longer than their posts and fill 1/2 my screen...
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

I don't know how many times I've looked for a "Goto first unread post" feature  :(

Everything else would be gravy.. you know, the kind with the little chunks of bacon in it? Mmmm.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11