Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Considering forum upgrade  (Read 23834 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Considering forum upgrade
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2008, 10:39:00 pm »

SMF.  I've had great experiences with YaBB SE (precursor to SMF) and have used SMF on an admin level so I know what the default configuration looks like to a user and am relatively happy with it, much better than phpBB.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »

Yes we need to move.  This forum software is usable but has problems that crop up all too frequently.  I'd like it if we could have avatars.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2008, 12:51:00 am »

I'm for a move, anybody remember the thread that bent spacetime?  And thats only what I remember!  I'm sure there were others before I got here.

Unfortunately I know nothing myself.  And the most I could get from my web programmer buddy is "I don't know anything about either of those, I just code my own. I don't know what's actually on the market."

I can still help out with my opinions of what should be allowed though!  :D) Perhaps tiles from popular tilesets too.

• Sigs ok, no images, 4 line max. (Yes I am aware mine breaks this rule.)
  • Search posts by member NAME.  The only 'Member ID' I know is Toadys.  I don't even know Threetoe's.
  • Automatically disable smileys in code tags! For the love of Armok please!
  • PM notification.  I rarely check my email, and less often check my profile.

EDIT: ;D is not a smiley.

[ May 24, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
    I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
    • Olive oil. Don't you?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: May 24, 2008, 04:00:00 am »

quote:
    Originally posted by Greiger:
    <STRONG>

EDIT: ;D is not a smiley.
    </STRONG>

Sure it is.  It's the eye-gouge smiley.  It had its eye ripped out by the GCS smiley.  //ẅ\\

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
    • Greetings, mortals!
      • View Profile
      • A review and literature weblog I never update
    « Reply #49 on: May 24, 2008, 04:24:00 am »

I say go for the new forum if it's in reach.   Better now than never, I suppose.

My personal thoughts:
    Avatars yes, signatures no (as sigs are easy to abuse, annoying to scroll past, etc).

As for forum layout, something similar or exactly like the current one would be nice; but with better indication of the off-topic non-Bay 12 related ones.

Other than that, everything else should fall into place easily.

Edit:  By avatars, I mean whatever people have on their own hosting.   No need to limit them to whatever dwarf pics are on the B12 site.   Obviously, any offensive ones would be dealt with on a case by case basis, so I'm sure abuse in that respect wouldn't be an issue.

[ May 24, 2008: Message edited by: Capntastic ]

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #50 on: May 24, 2008, 05:11:00 am »

Rats, then I won't be user #30 anymore!
    We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
      • View Profile
      • http://www.bay12games.com
    « Reply #51 on: May 24, 2008, 05:14:00 am »

The members are all translated over, and when I tried it, they were all in the same order.  I think you'd still be user 30, at least internally, although I'm not sure if the number is displayed.  Or maybe it's all by name.  Sure looked like the old list though.
    The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

LASD

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: May 24, 2008, 05:38:00 am »

I have nothing against moving the forums, this forum lacks many things that would be good, like polls and stickies.

I say no for pic sigs and no for custom avatars. I strongly dislike them and the stupidity that usually comes with them. Even if there was an option to not display avatars and sigs, it wouldn't prevent people commenting on them. I don't know about other people, but it would bother me if I disabled them and people would be talking about each other's avatars (or making threads or posts impossible to understand if one doesn't see their avatars.)

I also dislike having the post count visible with every message. It just seems like the people with the most messages would be in some way more important than others.

The avatar library and profession avatars sound good, but I wouldn't complain if there weren't any at all. These things would make everyone equal when it came to avatars and no one could make absurdly stupid inside jokes with them.

I really like the title thing, even though I haven't come up with anything I would like to put there for myself.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: May 24, 2008, 08:09:00 am »

Many posters here advocating the old board are users I've rarely seen in the suggestions forum. That subsection is really one of the main reasons this software simply doesn't work anymore. This forum needs some very basic capabilities, like thread splitting, merging and stickies.

All talk about avatar and signatures and board colours are cosmetic and fully customisable under any modern forum software. Both SMF and phpBB, which are the two candidates (though Invision would be my preference) will look like this, and perhaps there will be more skins for those who prefer a different look.

Thus, a move is not only necessary but an all-win situation.

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
    Quote from: bjlong
    If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
    You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: May 24, 2008, 08:27:00 am »

I vote move.

The only problems we will be having are cosmetic, which should not be much of a problem at all.

Even if we can choose our own avatars, I'm still going to have a big 'ol U.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
    I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
    MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • Death and I, we have an understanding
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: May 24, 2008, 09:45:00 am »

quote:
    Originally posted by LASD:
    <STRONG>absurdly stupid inside jokes </STRONG>

Just imagine the dwarves from page 1 of this topic

they are shouting

if I imagined you as the dwarf in your avatar, shouting every single word of your post, I'd be lying on the rgound, laughing untill i forgot what I wanted to post

that's to say, I'd love it

But I like the idea of profession avatars even more

if we DO get avataras in the new forum, I will make Dwarven Noble avatar, regardless of what options we have

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
     ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
    • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: May 24, 2008, 10:08:00 am »

I say yes to the move, no to pics in sigs. Ialso like the idea of having ascii avatars, i think it wou;d be cool if your options were somewhat limited by number of posts, say at first you can only have a peasent, after 10 posts you get all the other proffesions and some animals at 50 you get military and almost all the animals and at a hundred you get everything. Only mods can have nobles though.
    Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
    Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
    My HoM.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • Trust me, dont look.
    « Reply #57 on: May 24, 2008, 10:16:00 am »

I myself have run an SMF before.. I like them alot.. very configurable, as simple or as complex as you want.. highly configurable... yeah, SMF is the best rout..

this forum, simple as it is... is tooo simple, most of the features common forum users come to expect are just plain missing.. or so badly implimented as to be just as good as missing.

that said.. Theme skinning in SMF is awesome ^-^

The New Moo!

axus

• Bay Watcher
    • Axe Murderer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: May 24, 2008, 11:53:00 am »

uggh stickies... then we'll have "Sticky this please" posts.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: May 24, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »

Hmm...

I kind of like this current forum. I agree that it's a bit on the simple side, but as other Bay12'ers have stated, most features that we could use would bring with them other annoyances.

I'm leaning towards SMF if we do get a new board. Still, it would be a shame to lose this amazing simplicity we have at the moment. Sure, Toady will occasionally divide by 0 or something, creating a warp in the space-time continuum, but quite frankly, it's pretty awesome when that happens.

PS: Would it be possible to just make the current forum just take you straight to your post when you click [submit]?

[ May 24, 2008: Message edited by: Tahin ]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11