Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: Let's Piecewise: Dark Souls 3  (Read 25967 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Piecewise: Dark Souls 3
« Reply #225 on: April 11, 2016, 03:26:32 pm »

like he said, have fun your first time through. Dragoon sounds pretty dope.

Nunzillor

« Reply #226 on: April 11, 2016, 03:27:52 pm »

I say have fun the first time through. After that we can add arbitrary challenges and other stuff like that.
+1, agreed.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 11, 2016, 06:44:02 pm »

Well, my opinion doesn't much matter because I'm not gonna watch for a loooong time.  I don't wanna be spoiled, and I've been procrastinating about playing basically any games.

That said, a polearm build would be neat.  My first playthrough of DS1 was done almost exclusively with spears and halberds, and my second one was done entirely with the Black Knight Halberd, which just looks awesome.  Polearms are amazing for DS1 PvE.

...Also, you're gonna do it with voice, right?  Right?  Please do it with voice.  It's almost not worth it without voice...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 11, 2016, 06:49:35 pm »

I think PW has already played through the game, with a japanese version like a cheater.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2016, 06:52:27 pm »

I think PW has already played through the game, with a japanese version like a cheater.

Good point.  Instead of running polearms for the entire game, he should build specifically for the most interesting weapon in the game, and rush for that weapon.

...Alternatively, play FPS Souls and use exclusively ranged weapons.  That would be interesting.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2016, 07:46:08 pm »

Ranged weapons are fun, but do too little damage.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2016, 07:52:21 pm »

Yeah, I played it in japanese.

As per most interesting weapon...thats a hard one. Could do some weird enemy weapon, if I find one.

Ranged weapons are fun, but do too little damage.
I played with bows a fair deal my first run. Killed two bosses entirely with a bow actually. They do reasonable damage when upgraded and scaling based on your major stat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2016, 08:07:42 pm »

Hmm, maybe my problem is using a crossbow with no stat scaling then.
...And playing DkS2 and not DkS3, that too. :P

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #233 on: April 11, 2016, 08:26:21 pm »

Hmm, maybe my problem is using a crossbow with no stat scaling then.
...And playing DkS2 and not DkS3, that too. :P
I don't think crossbows ever scale. What with, you know, them being a mechanism. Bows scale, usually with dex, but occasionally with strength.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2016, 09:00:48 pm »

Crossbows scaling with dex makes about as much sense as bows scaling.  Being more dextrous won't help you pull the string much harder, so presumably dex makes you more accurate.  Crossbows rely on your aim just as much as bows do.

The only crossbows to get scaling are the two sanctum crossbows in DS2, which I guess are magic or something.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 13, 2016, 02:16:27 pm »

Crossbows... are not the most accurate weapon.

Watching another youtuber do this, but I'll definitely watch a PW walkthrough too. Seeing the Pontiff Sulyvhan boss made me go from wanting to watch to wanting to play dark souls.
One wheel short of a wagon

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 13, 2016, 03:20:07 pm »

And bows are?  I admit, bows are far more reliant on dexterity to obtain even basic accuracy, but that would imply a dex requirement, rather than dex scaling.

Google isn't being too helpful when I try to research the relative accuracy of medieval crossbows vs. medieval longbows, so I'll grant that bows might've been more accurate.  Still, in DS they generally get high dex scaling, while crossbows get nothing.  It would be more logical if crossbows got at least low or moderate dex scaling, just as firearms in other games sometimes benefit from higher dex.

...That's ignoring the balancing, of course.  I'm just nitpicking the statement that crossbows being mechanisms means they shouldn't get any scaling.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 13, 2016, 03:20:27 pm »

And bows are?  I admit, bows are far more reliant on dexterity to obtain even basic accuracy, but that would imply a dex requirement, rather than dex scaling.

Google isn't being too helpful when I try to research the relative accuracy of medieval crossbows vs. medieval longbows, so I'll grant that bows might've been more accurate.  Still, in DS they generally get high dex scaling, while crossbows get nothing.  It would be more logical if crossbows got at least low or moderate dex scaling, just as firearms in other games sometimes benefit from higher dex.

...That's ignoring the balancing, of course.  I'm just nitpicking the statement that crossbows being mechanisms means they shouldn't get any scaling.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 13, 2016, 03:26:22 pm »

Tried to think this through, deleted several paragraphs, concluded that dex scaling on anything is pretty damn abstract.
One wheel short of a wagon

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 13, 2016, 03:44:45 pm »

trying to figure out how dex scaling works realistically is the dark souls of explaining video game mechanics with logic
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17