Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.27.176.38c Released  (Read 14125 times)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.27.176.38c Released
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 07:23:00 am »

Will there be announcements after slaying a critical megabeast saying "It is now the Age of Peace."?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Ed-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://heiteinah.deviantart.com
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 08:13:00 am »

There should be a announcement for something like "Leader of Goblins is struck down. The Age of Terror has ended."

of course, that'd happen with the army arc, when you lay siege to his dark tower.

quot;''Mike Haggar'' Jaritek let out a sinister laughter! ''Mike Haggar'' has began a mysterious construction! [Several slaughtered goblins later] ''Mike Haggar'' has created Murrdusk, a Goblin Blood Pond. The Pond Menaces with skulls of Goblins and is hi

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008, 08:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ed-:
<STRONG>There should be a announcement for something like "Leader of Goblins is struck down. The Age of Terror has ended."

of course, that'd happen with the army arc, when you lay siege to his dark tower.</STRONG>

Not necessarily. Sometimes he is killed in battle on a seige.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Ed-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://heiteinah.deviantart.com
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2008, 09:59:00 am »

Well, yeah. That was a example of an event. He might as well die of age or something. But, well, for you to kill the leader of goblins in a offensive skirmish, you'd have to fight through the goblin army and that'd pretty much shut down a dark fortress in the process and so on, leaving no suitable goblin to be the next leader of THAT civilization.

But, that may be quite far away from happening, but, it would be awesome anyways.

quot;''Mike Haggar'' Jaritek let out a sinister laughter! ''Mike Haggar'' has began a mysterious construction! [Several slaughtered goblins later] ''Mike Haggar'' has created Murrdusk, a Goblin Blood Pond. The Pond Menaces with skulls of Goblins and is hi

Aegis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2008, 02:33:00 am »

Will DF ever have full 3D graphics? I love it just the way it is, but I'm sure that there'll be some lunatics out there who say "OMFG, dis is LIEK teh W0Rst gaemEVAR coz I caNt liek c anyF1NG 4nD 1T haz N0 GRafiX"

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2008, 05:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aegis:
<STRONG>Will DF ever have full 3D graphics?</STRONG>
Well... we know it won't be in by release, and anything after that is so far down the road that it isn't really worth speculating on.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2008, 08:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by greay:
[QB]When I start Dwarf Fortress (the Mac version; I'm on an Intel Mac.  Oh, and I'm running 10.4.6) all I get is a message saying "Error configuring graphics!" and it quits.  Nothing's logged to the console and no other information is given.  What exactly is going on?

Which Mac do you have?

Are you trying to play windowed or fullscreen? If you haven't tried both, please do. Do you get the same error for both?

I could imagine that you'd get that error if attempting to play fullscreen and the dimensions in the init.txt file don't match what your system/monitor can do...

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008, 08:13:00 pm »

Not sure where to put this, so I'll just ask here.

Will future versions of DF have the dwarfs fighting other dwarf civilizations?

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 05:06:00 am »

If killing the leader ended the terror, life would have been much easier. Unfortunately there are many ambitious goblins. Gotta need more than beheading. Burn the snake until it writhes away into hole and keep it there.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 08:36:00 pm »

There won't be anything to stop them anybody from fighting members of the same race unless I specifically add a flag for it.  Whether any entity gets such a flag is up in the air.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2008, 09:25:00 am »

Still some site sprawl (IfIUnderstandItCorrectly),
had one dwarf sprawl (d.grey), while other dwarf sites remained singular.
Must have been a singularly interesting mountain.      :)
[edit: located world, was small:666. Include image]

Also with regards to mapgen, (I'm a bit of a fetishist in this regard)

I tried to generate a map of twice the standard size [513:513] by editing the file in which these settings reside. The menu reduced this to [256:256], but I decided to test it anyway. Studying the map (p-output), I notice the world is seperated into several vertical strips, cutting off rivers and other features.
I can only assume the reducement has been accieved by removing half of the area betweeen these strips, but the mapgen used the coordinates provided by the input variables, causing the strips.
The standard world is huge enough as it is, I just wondered if the generator would jam even more detail into a bigger world.      :D

More critically, the east-west edges of the map do not match, thus excluding a spherical world.
Not a problem if you considder the map only a region of a world, but climatic regions are defined by the north and south poles, suggesting a spherical world.
...in a more wide than high map in any case.

requests for mapgen:
+ left-right border overlap/match.
+ history with location indicators of sites
(ie 513-Underhill founded at [125:98] a haunted mountainregion next to the Kunrirul brook.)
+ more variability of ocean-domination v mountainrange-dominance.
+ goblin civs with goblin rulers in stead of all Demonic.

http://www.box.net/shared/e0hj0qlcg4
...I just notice the 38b version number, was this not updated in the 38c download?

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Areyar ]
The 'strips' issue is a map-export thing, on less than square maps, 6 characters are lost by the overlappping 'strips', in embark-screen the area is continuous.

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Areyar ]

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aegis:
<STRONG>Will DF ever have full 3D graphics? I love it just the way it is, but I'm sure that there'll be some lunatics out there who say "OMFG, dis is LIEK teh W0Rst gaemEVAR coz I caNt liek c anyF1NG 4nD 1T haz N0 GRafiX"</STRONG>

Im sure that anyone who tracked the progress (if you call it) of Armok, you'd know how... unlucky Toady is with 3d programming.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

Say, are we going to get a release before all stages of the current one are complete?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2008, 06:58:00 pm »

Nah, the stages of the release are the stages of the release.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2008, 07:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Nah, the stages of the release are the stages of the release.</STRONG>

*head implodes*

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5