Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to stop tree climbers?  (Read 769 times)

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to stop tree climbers?
« on: May 16, 2015, 03:42:17 pm »

How do I stop horses, goats, and donkeys from climbing up into trees?

Just cut all the trees down?

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to stop tree climbers?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:22:04 pm »

Putting them in a pasture should work as well.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 01:07:06 am »

Putting them in a pasture should work as well.

They were in a pasture when they climbed the tree.

I think they go up trees for the same reason dwarves do: forgotten beasts.  Kind of like in There And Back Again.  I gotta remember to search the trees after an attack.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 05:21:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure creatures need body parts with [GRASP] to climb trees, unless they have [STANCE_CLIMBER] like cats and giant cave spiders do. Last I checked horses, goats, and donkeys don't have hands, so I'm pretty sure they're not climbing the trees. I've heard of trees growing underneath creatures, pushing them up into their branches before, so maybe that's causing it to look like they're climbing trees.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 02:17:08 am »

I think non climbers can walk onto trees from an adjacent elevated tile, e.g. from a roof (with e.g. a ramp for access) to a branch. They can then get stuck as the season changes and the tree rearranges its branches.
You may try to build a staircase beside the tree to give the creatures a path to get down, but it's quite likely you'll have to cut the tree down, with the attendant risk of injury.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 05:54:34 am »

I think non climbers can walk onto trees from an adjacent elevated tile, e.g. from a roof (with e.g. a ramp for access) to a branch. They can then get stuck as the season changes and the tree rearranges its branches.
You may try to build a staircase beside the tree to give the creatures a path to get down, but it's quite likely you'll have to cut the tree down, with the attendant risk of injury.
Game usually crashes if you build near a tree.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 07:34:55 am »

I've heard building in branches can crash the game, although I haven't encountered it myself, partially because I start with clearing my building sites of trees. However, trees can also grow up after the building has been built...

Another random discovery regarding trees: I used a cave-in to secure a cavern, and dropped the wall adjacent to a fungal tree standing in water. Later on I had campers in the tree, and decided to get rid of it using the ballista method. The tree disappeared, but so did 3 tiles (I thing) of the top level of the wall! I haven't tried to see what happens to original natural wall (as opposed to cave-in natural wall). Also, if you blow away fungal trees standing in water you get a hole in the water where the trunk used to be, i.e. a tile with no water, presumably because the blowing away of the tree isn't registered as generating a new place water could flow into.