Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.27.176.38b Released  (Read 10631 times)

Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.27.176.38b Released
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

Ah, it's been too long. And with the Mac port I don't have to restart into my Windows partition anymore.

Anyway, it works fine on OS X 10.5, that much I'm sure of. One thing though, I suggest taking away the function keys (yes, I know I can probably change them myself). I always found them a little annoying, but it's worse on a Mac because a lot of the function keys are used by the OS itself for things like changing volume or showing all open windows at once.

tarsier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

You say it works in 10.5?
Will It work if I boot into 10.5 on a PPC?

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, I read that it works only on Intel.
Is this going to be able to be fixed?

[ February 24, 2008: Message edited by: tarsier ]

xomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008, 08:40:00 pm »

You can turn off the function key crap in OS X, if you prefer, from the keyboard control panel. This makes them work like regular F-keys. You can still access these features (volume, etc) by holding down the "fn" key when hitting the F-keys.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »

PURE awesomeness being able to use artifact furniture! thanks toady  ;)
een failing lately?

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »

Awesome to see a mac version, Toady, thanks!

Anyway, I just tried world generation on a new Mac Pro, 8*3.0Ghz, 6Gb RAM.  A normal sized world took three minutes, and another two or so to offload the units. I don't know how much faster worldgen is these days than back in 33g, but it was amazing to watch.  And amusing to see DF using 12.5% of CPU power...

I didn't get time to try playing, though, so I can't comment on in-game framerate.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2008, 11:30:00 pm »

I've posted a new Mac Kobold Quest (1.06) that should have all the same PPC settings and file/etc. code from Dwarf Fortress.  If you have a Power PC Mac, let me know if that works.  If it doesn't run, hopefully we'll be able to fix things more easily since the code is available.  If it does run, start a game and press ESC to save then try to load again, since that will test out the file code.  It should also have sound now.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

tarsier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2008, 11:52:00 pm »

The new Kobold Quest runs, and the save function works just fine.

I'm running 10.4.11 on a PPC.

[ February 24, 2008: Message edited by: tarsier ]

[ February 25, 2008: Message edited by: tarsier ]

Steph

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2008, 12:59:00 am »

Same here on PPC, 10.5.2: Kobold Quest is running fine, and DF has still the same error wrt the length error in stdlib...

Cheers,

Steph

-
Steph

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2008, 03:12:00 am »

Why have you made booze not melt again?

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2008, 07:11:00 am »

Since the MAC version is a separate download, maybe it would be best to set the default controls so that they don't conflict with system commands.  That way users wouldn't have to change them themselves.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2008, 07:12:00 am »

What are the other examples besides F11 for fullscreen toggle (apple key thing + F should already work as an alternate)?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2008, 09:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Narmio:
[QB]Awesome to see a mac version, Toady, thanks!

Anyway, I just tried world generation on a new Mac Pro, 8*3.0Ghz, 6Gb RAM.  A normal sized world took three minutes, and another two or so to offload the units. I don't know how much faster worldgen is these days than back in 33g, but it was amazing to watch.  And amusing to see DF using 12.5% of CPU power...

Sounds like it was fully using one core of the machine...  I don't think it will use multiple cores.

Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2008, 09:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by xomg:
<STRONG>You can turn off the function key crap in OS X, if you prefer, from the keyboard control panel. This makes them work like regular F-keys. You can still access these features (volume, etc) by holding down the "fn" key when hitting the F-keys.</STRONG>

But I like the function key crap.  :(

Also, on my laptop, I think the function keys can control the OS or the hardware depending on if you're holding down the fn key. So, F4 doesn't do anything, but fn+F4 turns down the volume. F9 shows all windows at once, while fn+F9 turns off the keyboard backlight or something.

The function keys work fine in fullscreen mode anyway.

Frankly I never saw the need for using the function keys in DF, on either Mac or Windows. For example, why press F8 to get past the introduction message when we already have Return/Enter?

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>What are the other examples besides F11 for fullscreen toggle?</STRONG>

F8 and F9, which are used to get past various screens. F8, as I said, shows up in the "this is alpha" message you get when you create a world. F9 shows up in various other screens, such as where you set the name of your dwarf group.

BvG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2008, 09:57:00 am »

For me F1 to F5 are screen brightness and sound loudness, F6 is num lock, F9 to F10 are Exposé, and F12 is eject (disk drive). So the free keys for me are F7 and F8. Personally I could deal with using the fn key to access F9 in the trading menu, but the newest external keyboard (cord, not wireless) doesn't even have a fn key.

In addition, the "taken" ones are different on almost every notebook type, and different again on the external keyboards, and dependent on settings made in various OS preferences. Therefore, the F-keys in general are not appreciated to be used by 3rd-party developers. I also think uncle Steve hates them, as there weren't any F-Keys on older Macs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2008, 10:30:00 am »

I'd make some comment about why you're commenting (and thus bumping) a thread for an older version, but this:

quote:
Originally posted by BvG:
doesn't even have a fn key.

Made it all worthwhile.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4