Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Planters don't want to work  (Read 875 times)

Planters don't want to work
« on: May 16, 2015, 12:08:52 pm »

Since I ran out of plump helmet seeds, my planters don't want to work, event thought there are now enough seeds (although the stocks are slowly disappearing, I'll just buy some more from caravans) and more than enough plots, most of which aren't even being used. Also, on a side note, I have one max size plot that produces prickle berries.
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planters don't want to work
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 12:30:14 pm »

Have you remembered to set up the farm plot crops for all seasons? Each season has to be designated separately.
Seeds don't just disappear by themselves, as far as I know, although vermin MIGHT be able to eat some? Check that you haven't specified that the seeds should be cooked in the kitchen screen.
Burrows can block dorfs from accessing their plots. Also, workshops can be specified to be usable by specific dorfs only, and I think farm plots are "work shops" in that respect.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 12:55:15 pm »

Have you remembered to set up the farm plot crops for all seasons? Each season has to be designated separately.
Seeds don't just disappear by themselves, as far as I know, although vermin MIGHT be able to eat some? Check that you haven't specified that the seeds should be cooked in the kitchen screen.
Burrows can block dorfs from accessing their plots. Also, workshops can be specified to be usable by specific dorfs only, and I think farm plots are "work shops" in that respect.
Seeds are set for all seasons.
 I think the seed disappearance was probably caused by some changes I brought to the organization of the plots used for plump helmets, since only those ran out of seeds.
 I haven't assigned any burrows yet.
 I haven't tinkered with the farm plot profiles, in fact I don't think the have any though I could be wrong.

Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 12:01:24 am »

(Are there farm-plot profiles??? Dunno, but don't remember any - but diff versions/etc.)

Farming is easy to fail if you don't do everything you need to...

(comments in Italics are not dealbreakers, just recommended, while we're on the subject. ymmv)

o Start with more than "1" seed of each type, just in case a Dwarf eats one as a preference. (You don't need a lot - I find 3 (or even less?) seeds of each ample to get things jump-started.)
o Designate "Farming" labor on (at least) 1 Dwarf. (yeah, but you'd be surprised...  ;))
o No OTHER Labor on them that will conflict (any major full-time workshop skill could prevent them from ever getting around to planting, as could Record-Keeping and Trade Depot Hauling during those times).
o If using Burrows, include the Farm Plots for your Farmer(s).
o Make sure there's a valid Path to your Farm Plots and Seeds. (Rare, but never impossible. Must be checked visually.)
o Under "Orders" {o}, have "all Dwarves Harvest" which is the default. (at least at first, or until you get enough Dwarves for more than 1 Farmer.)
o Make sure you have Stock{p}iles that accept those plants - gatherers need a place to put them, or they won't bother harvesting.
o (Putting seed stock{p}iles near farm plots can speed things up, but <I believe> Farmers will scrounge seeds out of the Kitchens if they have to. Might as well make sure you have seed stockpiles, can't hurt.)
o Build farm plots via {b} {p}. Don't need to be big if you have a Farmer 3-5 - 1x3 of each is ample for a new fort, 2x3 of each will get be more than enough for many years.  Sooner is better in the season, or you might miss out on that first cycle or two.
o On Plots that have been completed, use {q} and then designate all 4 growing seasons (Spring {a} thru {b} and {c} to Winter {d}). Do NOT try to choose "fallow" for a season - that's all year long, and turns the plot "off".*
o (I'd turn off Fertilize for all 4 seasons too, at least at first - ymmv, but fewer Cancellation announcements.)
o Do NOT remove a Plot that has been seeded (straight lines instead of wavy ones) - seeds will be lost. Wait until it's been harvested, and/or you have extra seeds.
o (If there are any...)  Do NOT go in and mess w/ Plot permissions (at least not at first)
o In Stocks {z}, turn OFF all seeds for "Cook"ing {c}.
o (I like to turn off "seeds" in all stockpiles EXCEPT a dedicated "seed-only" stockpile adjacent to the plots themselves.)
o If you have no seeds but have the plants harvested, in a Still brew plants to create more seeds. (Sim w/ fruit you are growing). Make sure (under {z}/Kitchen) that those Plants are Brew-able, and not-Cookable (unless/until you have enough for both). Cooking plants gives you zero seeds.  (With some (spec Quarry bushes) you can/must "process" them instead to get seeds, but Brewing seems a first-choice, at least early on. Dwarves can eat anything and be happy enough, but they NEED their alcohol.)

(* Growing seasons limit all but Plump Helmets and Dimple Cups. If you don't want to over-think how to rotate your crops, you could just have 1 plot dedicated to each crop and let it be empty in those off-seasons - easier visualization of what's happening in any given season. Again, ymmv.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:02:26 am by Albedo »

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:08:26 am »

My answer is much shorter than the guy above me!

Either you're cooking the plump helmets, or you aren't brewing the plump helmets.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 09:52:34 pm »

I have to ask- seeds shouldn't disappear except for 2 reasons:

Are you cooking them? Double check your kitchen stocks scree and make sure you aren't actually cooking your seeds- accidents do happen, you could have ment to cook another type of seed and hit them by accident

Have you hit the global seed cap? If you go beyond more than a few thousand seeds, the oldest seed will be destroyed to make room for the newest- this includes crops in the field vanishing. 

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 11:12:34 pm »

Are you cooking them? Double check your kitchen stocks scree and make sure you aren't actually cooking your seeds- accidents do happen, you could have ment to cook another type of seed and hit them by accident
You could also just be cooking the plump helmets and therefore not getting any seed returns as well (thus they wouldn't be truly "disappearing", but just wouldn't be being replaced).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.