Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Super lazy demons?  (Read 2367 times)

lore

• Bay Watcher
  • A gamer has grown attached to a small laptop!
    • View Profile
Super lazy demons?
« on: May 16, 2015, 05:04:42 am »

Minding my own business, mining candy, when OOPS:
Horrifying screams come from the darkness below!
I nearly abandoned there but having never seen the HFS in action I decided to let it happen. After a while, the solid block of demons dispersed and wandered off through hell. Not one followed the Adamantine tube up to the fortress. I just put a floor over the hole and mined the rest of the vein. Does this happen often?
EDIT: this occurred when mining down through a vein of candy. I hit the hollow core with a downward stairway.
Lore lets out a burst of laughter, squeaky and awkward!

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Super lazy demons?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 05:47:52 am »

I tend to find they just leak through z-layers into the magma sea.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 01:21:36 pm »

Yeah I was pretty sure they were supposed to path to the top of your ort or some such. Haven't heard of that before.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 01:26:26 pm »

I tend to find they just leak through z-layers into the magma sea.

Yeah, this happened to me too. I never figured out how they did it; there was no path into the magma sea from the spire. They somehow phased through solid rock into the sea.
Maybe they can move freely through SMR or something.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 04:47:57 pm »

They move diagonally through the corner of a wall/ceiling It's a known bug for all flyers, IIRC.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Space Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • undulates rhythmically
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 08:02:18 pm »

The first time I hit the circus I didn't even know about it, I was all excited about adamantine and started digging it up. Hit a hole, got a very scary message as well as a view into a really spooky pit, decided to build a floor over it immediately, and before my dwarves picked up some rocks to do so my fortress was getting rekt. I think you had an anomalous encounter, weird things happen in this game.

I once ended a goblin siege by cutting a tree down into a pit.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 10:51:15 am »

my first circus visit ended up in fps death....they did go through my military and all that.

and maybe the pathfinding of the ai just fucked up with your fort, or maybe there wasnt enough aggro or something?

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 07:05:48 pm »

Can you expand on this?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 08:35:10 pm »

After a while, the solid block of demons dispersed and wandered off through hell. Not one followed the Adamantine tube up to the fortress.

This is the "normal" behavior for flying creatures--they have to path to a target *without flying*, then they consider flying shortcuts after the ground path is found.

There is presumably some special case code for adamantine tubes, and it appears that code did not work correctly in your game. You could upload a save and create a new bug report on the tracker if you're feeling particularly helpful.

Space Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • undulates rhythmically
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 09:26:23 pm »

Can you expand on this?

This was maybe my third or fourth siege ever, I had a twisty entrance into my dirt-hole of a fortress riddled with way more cage traps than necessary, and during a siege as usual goblins started getting caught. There's a bug where since an attacking group follows a leader during a siege, they path based off of the leader's pathing, and if you kill/cage the leader, the rest of the group will just sort of stand around. Well, I ran into this bug here, and there were about three goblins keeping me under siege, which was bad news because I was completely dependent on trade. I hadn't gotten into building military at the time, and didn't really have a good solid way of dealing with these goblins. I decided to try digging underneath them individually, and then I was going to dig a staircase down into a passageway where they would hopefully chase my dwarf and end up running into a line of cage traps. Unfortunately, a miner was brutally killed through my inexperience during this, and two of the three goblins left the map, bloodthirst quenched or something. The third disappeared from view, but I was still under siege, so I z'd him from the unit list and he was in a tree. I didn't really know how to handle things other than dropping them in holes at the time, so I designated a five or six tile wide channel to be dug around the tree with a single tile wide bridge going up to it on the opposite side of the tree that the goblin was standing in. There was no aggression from the goblin during this time, and my dwarves were not frightened, perhaps they cannot detect each other when tree branches are involved? I dug the channel fairly deep, maybe ten or fifteen z levels, and designated the tree to be cut down. The goblin fell down the pit with a bunch of logs, and to my surprise at the time survived the impact, with many injuries. Still being under siege and feeling pressure due to the upcoming potentiality of getting fruit from the elves which was very, very important to me at the time, I dug a channel from the stream to the pit the goblin was sitting in, ending the siege.

Dwarves before I learned how to set up a military/proper entrance traps was very rube goldberg.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 02:19:40 am »

Can you expand on this?

(...)
Dwarves before I learned how to set up a military/proper entrance traps was very rube goldberg DWARFY.

"Urist. There's one goblin remaining. And we have a master plan for getting rid of both him and the nasty tree he's sitting on. But we need your sacrifice in order to do it."

"Yes, Overseer!"
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 04:54:45 am »

Can you expand on this?
(...)
Dwarves before I learned how to set up a military/proper entrance traps was very rube goldberg DWARFY.
"Urist. There's one goblin remaining. And we have a master plan for getting rid of both him and the nasty tree he's sitting on. But we need your sacrifice in order to do it."
"Yes, Overseer!"

Awesome story. Thankyou for sharing it.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!