Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fungiwood  (Read 634 times)

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
fungiwood
« on: May 15, 2015, 02:34:31 pm »

I started a new fortress.  I dug down into the earth to build a farm.  Things like fungiwood immediately started to grow in the cleared area.  Does this mean there is a connection to the caverns somewhere on my embark already?

jturnera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: fungiwood
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 03:02:40 pm »

I think fungiwood/tower cap grows in anything that is considered "underground", even if it's at the surface.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 04:55:30 pm »

Hm, it ought to. Cavern moss and fungal trees only start to grow once a cavern has been breached. However, I've embarked several times on sites with caves in the hope of actually getting Kobold neighbors. Each of those times the caves have reached the first cavern, and no Kobolds to be found, and no moss or fungal trees until I breached the caverns myself. Cavern critters started showing up on the surface, though.

My attempts were all with slightly older DF versions (0.40.19 was probably the newest), so the spore buglet might have been fixed.

jturnera is correct in that this stuff grows in all underground, but only after the caverns have been breached.

I suggest scanning the surface for a cave. If you find one, you can follow a path some way down, but not the whole way to the caverns (unless they're very shallow). Personally I would plug it ASAP to avoid getting cavern critters on the surface.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 08:08:51 pm »

The game crashed on SIGFPE, so that fortress is gone.

And it was doing so well!  I hadn't made any fatal mistakes yet!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 11:51:54 pm »

Many players find it helpful to  regularly go in to "Saves" and make a backup. Once a game-year, once a month, once every few days- whatever seems "often enough".

Just sayin'.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 07:04:39 am »

The only time I get moss/fungiwood before I hit the caverns is if I already had a retired fort that had breached the caverns near by in that world.
I assumed the caverns where connected so the game was seeing the cavern as already breached even though I haven't revealed this bit of it yet. No idea if this is true or if there is some sort of bug happening.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 03:39:30 pm »

Many players find it helpful to  regularly go in to "Saves" and make a backup. Once a game-year, once a month, once every few days- whatever seems "often enough".

Just sayin'.

It was my first crash ever!   I hadn't even saved it a first time yet.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 03:47:12 am »

I find DF crashes fairly often, and crashing while saving is fairly common. However, DF has so far never destroyed the save, only led to having to redo from the latest one. It's also not uncommon for DF to crash AFTER having saved, while cleaning up. In that case it's just a matter of restarting and continuing from the save just made.

However, if you don't have any auto save on embark, you should still be able to reembark at exactly the same place and restart, since the world is saved after generation. Since it crashed before the save you'd get a clean embark, so I'd say your situation is recoverable.

I tend to save after having set up professions, given all orders, etc. but before actually starting the clock to allow me to restart. I then save fairly frequently to recover from crashes.