Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39

Author Topic: GemSet v1.41 [42.04]  (Read 343286 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: (24x24 / 48x48) GemSet v1.3 [40.24]
« Reply #330 on: June 12, 2015, 12:57:10 pm »

My favorite three tiles have got to be legendary (insert military unit) with the viking helmets, champions with the eyepatch, and monster hunter with the godzilla costume.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
Re: (24x24 / 48x48) GemSet v1.32 [40.24]
« Reply #331 on: June 12, 2015, 03:24:56 pm »

v1.32 - 2015-06-12
  • Resized text tileset from 24x24 to 16x24 and redrew many characters in both tilesets.
  • Added missing grass and shrub tiles.
  • Split soil and plant tiles into their own sheets.
  • Reworked tree trunk and interior tiles.
  • Corrected black part of constructed floor tiles.
  • Included mouse.png for ease-of-installation.

Hoo boy...The plants are taking longer than expected so I'll be rolling out another minor update until then. The grasses and trees should be fixed now, and the smaller text tileset should free up more screen space. For the next update I'm going to be rolling out the new plants and maybe some more diversified race graphics. Sorry, Kromtec, but I don't want to start on the building overrides until TWBT gets workshop support. It'll throw off my organization if I can only override half the buildings. Building overrides are also still a WIP, and I'm not sure how TWBT will handle colorizing them.

Kaiji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 12, 2015, 03:47:48 pm »

Words can't express how amazing this graphics set is. I've dreamed of a fully uniform set for a long time. You are truly the chosen one.

Do I have it configured wrongly or are tables, chairs and doors not implemented yet? They still show as bare ASCII for me.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 12, 2015, 04:49:04 pm »

Thank you so much! Having a nice, consistent style was one of my biggest motivations for starting this project.

Yes. Like I said in the OP, the building overrides have not been started yet. But if people are desperate for a temporary solution, they can paste some graphics from _overrides_items.png into gemset_map.png. I wouldn't mind if someone shared their edited gemset_map.png here as long as they take it down after the building overrides are in.

Kaiji

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 12, 2015, 07:15:31 pm »

Oh good. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't fudged the install.

I definitely think this set will open the door for people who find DF to be visually inaccessible even with current graphics packs, because of it's excellent clarity and larger size. I expect it to quickly become considered the default for a lot of people who aren't attached to ASCII.

I use it with this Deja Mono font I made using Mifki's Fontgen tool.

Screenshots
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Like Clatch below, I use a modified Vherid colour scheme on a black background, in this case based on Mishka. I like it's earthiness.  :)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:23:20 am by Kaiji »

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GemSet v1.32 [40.24]
« Reply #335 on: June 12, 2015, 11:35:45 pm »

WOW, best of both worlds!  The tile resizing looks amazing!

Since you've stuck with the default color schema so far, I thought I'd include a version of Vherid's Natural on a black background.  It preserves the original color scheme somewhat -- it's just a lot easier on the eyes.

Vherid Natural on Black

Images

Lurker28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 13, 2015, 12:26:43 am »

That looks great! Where do I modify DF to pull in that color scheme and font tiles?

Updated*** - A quick search found me the answer, I was a little too hasty with the question. But nonetheless great job guys!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:29:12 am by Lurker28 »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 13, 2015, 12:33:30 am »

The colors you just drop in data/init/colors.txt to replace those. The font tiles you save into data/art and edit the line for [FONT:whatever_you_named_it.png] and [FULLFONT:whatever_you_named_it.png] but I have a question.

I derped the hell out of figuring out BAMM! and I am embarrassingly bad at python apparently, I've got python 3.4.3-2 installed, I put a copy of the gemset BAMM! folder and my objects folder in the resources and edited the config but it didn't do what I thought it would. Is this where you go import wizardry and it works or what?

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 13, 2015, 12:46:28 am »

It's so cool seeing how people are remixing GemSet! I knew that including the default color scheme and a default-ish tileset would encourage people to give their game a custom look.

Max, what you're doing sounds about right. I currently have Python 3.4.2 installed (for PyGame) and the following changes in my run.config:

Code: [Select]
source=resources/gemset
target=resources/vanilla
output=resources/output

If you put the BAMM! files in the source folder and your raws in the target folder, it should work. I haven't tried anything other than vanilla raws, though, which might be the source of your problem.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 13, 2015, 01:07:42 am »

Do you put the gemset raws AND bamm files in the source folder? I got confused and gave up a while back so I didn't poke at it too much more after it didn't work.

I feel lazy for not poking at it more but I was worn out after lawnwork earlier, figure this will be a good tool to get a hang of though, and of course having it explained here can't hurt anyone else trying to get it installed.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:09:52 am by Max™ »

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 13, 2015, 01:16:39 am »

The BAMM! files go in the source folder and pretty much anything(?) can go in the target folder. The output folder should be left empty but if there's something in there BAMM! will just overwrite it.

If you want to add mod support for GemSet, add your graphical info to the source folder and your mod's raws in the target folder. For example, if your mod has a Derpite rock, you'd just add this to the inorganic_stone_layer.txt in the source folder:

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:DERPITE]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:6:8:0]
[TILE:35][ITEM_SYMBOL:7]

I've included a little information at the top of each raw file so you know how my systems work.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:21:10 am by DragonDePlatino »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 13, 2015, 01:23:34 am »

Ahhhh, I'll probably toss a readme in my own mod for how to slap it into different stuff with bamm as well, like I said, useful tool to get the hang of.

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 13, 2015, 08:23:33 am »

v1.32 - 2015-06-12
  • Resized text tileset from 24x24 to 16x24 and redrew many characters in both tilesets.
  • Added missing grass and shrub tiles.
  • Split soil and plant tiles into their own sheets.
  • Reworked tree trunk and interior tiles.
  • Corrected black part of constructed floor tiles.
  • Included mouse.png for ease-of-installation.

Hoo boy...The plants are taking longer than expected so I'll be rolling out another minor update until then. The grasses and trees should be fixed now, and the smaller text tileset should free up more screen space. For the next update I'm going to be rolling out the new plants and maybe some more diversified race graphics.

The caverns look gorgeous with their new little fancy mushrooms:

And I am very happy with the look of my war grizzly bear!  :D

Sorry, Kromtec, but I don't want to start on the building overrides until TWBT gets workshop support. It'll throw off my organization if I can only override half the buildings. Building overrides are also still a WIP, and I'm not sure how TWBT will handle colorizing them.

Yeah I understand that. Better do it right when all the basics are ready, instead of half-baked now.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 13, 2015, 10:05:24 am »

Couple things:

I remapped zoom to + and -, and that works fine. Thanks!

Also

My miners are minors.
(in the game, not just the z menu)
Which is weird.

Also, and maybe even more importantly...

LOOK AT THOSE LLAMAS! <3 :D
They are flippin' adorable.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:32:54 pm by Ironhand »

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 13, 2015, 04:00:54 pm »

I've been using MacNewbie.  I placed GemSet in the LNP/Graphics directory.  I was able to load it fine under the LNP graphics tab.  LNP also updates the graphics in existing fort saves as well.  I noticed however, that some items when placed do not assume the new overrides.  I know this has been talked about often in previous threads.  Can someone refresh me as to what the issue may be?

Here's an example of beds when placed lose the override.  These beds were placed before applying GemSet.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:02:35 pm by Clatch »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39