Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to i.d. / fix a persistent crash?  (Read 977 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Any way to i.d. / fix a persistent crash?
« on: May 14, 2015, 05:17:33 pm »

I'm wondering if there are any usual suspects I can check.  On a related note; if I retire the Fortress, will the world still be ok for future Forts & Adventures?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to i.d. / fix a persistent crash?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 05:51:31 pm »

No.1 culprit right now is 'building on trees'.
Check for any constructions that are scheduled to clash with the position of trees (including underground ones) or tree branches.

Most annoying aspect of this is when a new tree grows where you already have a construction. That'll crash too apparently.

Another cause of crashing is reaching Windows 2GB memory limit when generating / saving large worlds. Utils like Large Address Aware can help there allowing up to 4GB (doesn't effect Mac or Linux).

Edit: Retiring and starting a new fort works just fine. Oddities to expect are that you probably won't start in Spring, goblins might turn up a few months in instead of waiting for your pop cap, caravans from elves/humans will probably turn up before you've had a chance to do anything at all depending on your starting season.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:03:29 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 09:41:12 pm »

To clarify, if a tree grows under an existing floor, that is sufficient to crash?  If so, how do I permanently slay the offender?

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 02:50:22 am »

Turn the forest to matchsticks and pave over everything?
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 10:04:40 am »

Unfortunately not an option yet.  I have only recently begun manufacturing magma-safe pump parts.  Does anyone know if there is a DFHack command to remove a block or item?  The crash is happening about a week after loading my last save, not nearly enough time to chop the likely culprits by hand.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 01:37:26 pm »

Unfortunately not an option yet.  I have only recently begun manufacturing magma-safe pump parts.  Does anyone know if there is a DFHack command to remove a block or item?  The crash is happening about a week after loading my last save, not nearly enough time to chop the likely culprits by hand.

You should set the tree to be chopped with priority 1, the same as digging.
Try using a woodcutter with only woodcutting enabled, it should work
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 08:50:45 pm »

Shonai may have saved my humble beach Fortress :D  The offending tree was removed, and I have now progressed further than when the crash occurred.  Still gonna have to pave the entire grotto to ensure no more wayward Featherwoods spring up from the cave fungus ::)

herocrafter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 06:28:52 pm »

Not certain but I seem to recall reading that if you place stockpile that trees won't grow underneath.