Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Polls

Are
Dumb

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45

Author Topic: The Bay12 DF Gladiator Challenge Tournament - Reborn!  (Read 56373 times)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 DF Gladiator Challenge Tournament - Reborn!
« Reply #630 on: May 18, 2015, 11:35:55 am »

With the exception advice from Rero Falcon, I've decided to reduce my change on whips and scourges by a tiny amount. As well as increase the cost multiplier of silver to 3x from 1x. I feel that these changes will be the groundwork for the balance of blunt weapons, namely whips, and bring about a more diversified cast of weapons and materials to be used in future tourneys.

Spoiler: Material (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Weapons (click to show/hide)
I've lost control of my life.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 18, 2015, 12:59:57 pm »

I feel like that balance was a good idea. Props to Rero for it.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 18, 2015, 04:04:56 pm »

Just so everyone is aware, the next tournament that I will be hosting will be held on the 14th of June. That leaves about a month for you guys to plan out your gladiators and all that jazz.

I'd like to hear any suggestions or thing you'd like to see in the next tournament, so if anyone has anything to say about such, you are more than welcome to use this thread.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 18, 2015, 04:42:16 pm »

Hey sweet, day after my birthday.

How many gladiators are you going to allow this time, Unraveller? I definitely want to participate again.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 18, 2015, 04:45:54 pm »

I'd like to see a succession game based around different dwarven civs each creating champions that have to actually be recruited by adventurers (ie: "Managers") to travel to the Gladiator Arena/s to compete with all the others who are doing the same.  The stats, weapons and armors for each could be copied into a file format for the actual gladiator tournament in the testing arenas, but role-playing wise, it would be fun to see them trickle in and each get rooms at the local inn or something.  (I'm reminded of the venerable movie Bloodsport)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 18, 2015, 04:54:30 pm »

How many gladiators are you going to allow this time, Unraveller? I definitely want to participate again.

Not sure, it really depends on just how much interest there is. Thirty-two seems like a good number, it allows for a even number of matches. However that still seems like a ton of people. At the moment I really don't know.

I'd like to see a succession game based around different dwarven civs each creating champions that have to actually be recruited by adventurers (ie: "Managers") to travel to the Gladiator Arena/s to compete with all the others who are doing the same.  The stats, weapons and armors for each could be copied into a file format for the actual gladiator tournament in the testing arenas, but role-playing wise, it would be fun to see them trickle in and each get rooms at the local inn or something.  (I'm reminded of the venerable movie Bloodsport)

That does sound like a very interesting concept, however it may be too complicated for my blood. And I have a feeling that many people participating in these tourneys want instant satisfaction through the gorey fights. That being said, I would gladly participate and look on if anyone were do do such.

Tesseract

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 18, 2015, 05:46:42 pm »

Hosting a 32 gladiator tournament would mean  16 + 8 + 4 + 2 + 1 = 31 matches. This one was 8 + 4 + 2 + 1 + (16 qualifier matches) = 31 matches. That would take about the same time to do, if there are no qualifiers. If more than 32 gladiators are accepted, I would suggest to have all the qualifier fights in a same post with smaller commentaries.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 18, 2015, 05:57:14 pm »

I guess when you do the math it sounds a ton easier. I had to do some odd stuff with qualifiers and what not due to the number of contestants that entered this one. But yeah, thirty two could be a solid number.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 18, 2015, 06:42:28 pm »

Finally, can we all give a round of applause to Unraveller for making this happen? It really was a great little game, and I know he put a lot of effort into it!

/applause
/endspeech

Edit: I actually had an idea about whip pricing. I agree they need to be raised, but I would only raise them a bit, and instead make the cost of silver much higher. I think the biggest thing with blunt weapons is that silver, an incredible material for impact weapons, is very cheap. If the cost was raised to 3x, I think it might even it out a bit.

This community is too kind, where are all the people calling me names and stuff?

That is a very good idea, I hadn't even realized that silver was so low in price. I'll work it out with different balancing and such when I get home.

*froths at the mouth*

"This community is too kind, where are all the people calling me names and stuff?" you say?

YOU... YOU... ELVISH [EXPLETIVE_DELETED]!

No, it's a good call, I was counting on whips taking the brunt of the nerfbat and war hammers being overlooked as a result so I could pew pew folks all over the place.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 18, 2015, 07:00:58 pm »

*froths at the mouth*

"This community is too kind, where are all the people calling me names and stuff?" you say?

YOU... YOU... ELVISH [EXPLETIVE_DELETED]!

That's more like it!

Well silver is a very prominent material for the blunt weapons, so I feel that takes them all down a notch. And also whips, lets be honest, lightsabers are just too powerful in this version. Warhammers not nearly as much.

What I want to see is flails and morning stars being used in the next tourney!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:07:46 pm by Unraveller »

_italics_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: May 18, 2015, 07:09:55 pm »

We all love the arena master! I doubt he's elvish, despite the occasional flowery description. Remember his only mistake? Giving the only elven gladiator a wooden sword instead of a steel. Hahahahahahahah!

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 18, 2015, 07:30:53 pm »

That elf still managed to win that match, beating the bat man with a stick. Oh, right, I wanted to do some stats on weapons and stuff used here. I'll do that now. Nah I'm too lazy.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:43:40 pm by Unraveller »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 18, 2015, 07:57:42 pm »

Against lightly armored foes a war hammer is surprisingly brutal, at higher skill levels I favor axes for sending limbs flying, but having a really strong adventurer means you can whack someone in the head with a war hammer and send em flying through the air before cutting off their head with a battle axe in mid-air.

The axe gets the glory, but the hammer is what killed em. I guess copper would be acceptable though.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 18, 2015, 08:07:09 pm »

Personally, I believe that your troll gladiator should use two flails.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 18, 2015, 09:16:07 pm »

Cost too much and I've never been impressed with flails. Hammers, axes, picks, especially against normal sized targets. My adventure mode bias might mess me up some because I can choose to whack someone in the neck or foot or head instead of wailing away on their shin for half an hour, but hey.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45