Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Polls

Are
Dumb

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 45

Author Topic: The Bay12 DF Gladiator Challenge Tournament - Reborn!  (Read 56561 times)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 DF Gladiator Challenge Tournament - Reborn!
« Reply #315 on: May 16, 2015, 11:39:28 am »

I think that monthly is enough for the "official" tournament. That way we have time to anticipate, test some builds, etc.

It could be cool to sometimes impose restrictions, for example, having large beasts only tournaments, or with specific weapons, or even random things !

Edit: Is it possible to expand the available creatures to have a divers pool to chose from ? I like the idea of having to chose from a different roster each time.

Different restrictions and modes are a wonderful idea, but would they be welcome in the 'official' tournament? Or simple for side tourneys hosted by others?

Can you explain what you mean by a divers pool? Not sure I'm following you there.

What about a tournament with a massive amount of points, where you purchase multiple gladiators, and possibly large beats? Like, army vs. army. I'm not sure how well that would work due to retarded AI, but it might be fun to try.

It could work, but at that point I believe building such stuff would become too complex for its own good, the system would probably haave to be reworked in some areas for that.

I'll be posting the first Loser's Qualifier in a moment.
I've lost control of my life.

Tesseract

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 16, 2015, 11:43:57 am »

Diverse pool. I suck at typing and at speaking english !

For example, tournament 2, we can choose between yeti, human, drawf and elephant. Tournament 3, we have elf, ant-lady, bee and forgotten beast to choose from.

Except with more, less silly, choices.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 16, 2015, 11:45:33 am »

Diverse pool. I suck at typing and at speaking english !

For example, tournament 2, we can choose between yeti, human, drawf and elephant. Tournament 3, we have elf, ant-lady, bee and forgotten beast to choose from.

Except with more, less silly, choices.

Wouldn't that be less diverse? Since you gave fewer options? Maybe I'm just stupid.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 16, 2015, 11:54:53 am »

Loser's Qualifiers, Match I
Narhtan the Crundle Bundle VS. Steapa the Northman

Welcome back gladiators, I trust that you've all had a decent rest, hmm? Well we are moving on to the second qualfying round, those who have lost in the first are back to redeem themselves! Up now is Narhtan who fell prey to Mogwai's devious trick in the first round and the Northman who wishes to go on to the elimination round and meet Pliskin in combat! Let us see who wins out the day!

Spoiler: Battle Gif (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Battle Log (click to show/hide)

Well, wouldn't you know it! Sometimes the little guys just surprise you. Steapa went in for his foot chop of doom, however he seemed unaware that a crundle could pack such a wallop! Falling unconscious after having his bone chipped, Narhtan wasted no time and brained the fool.
[/b]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:05:54 pm by Unraveller »

Tesseract

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 16, 2015, 11:59:41 am »

What I mean is, say we have a total of N creatures to choose from. At every tournament, M (with M < N) are selected at random. There would be less choice at each individual tournament, but each tournament would be different from the others.

But maybe it's not such a good idea, maybe just let everything available is better.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 16, 2015, 12:05:31 pm »

What I mean is, say we have a total of N creatures to choose from. At every tournament, M (with M < N) are selected at random. There would be less choice at each individual tournament, but each tournament would be different from the others.

But maybe it's not such a good idea, maybe just let everything available is better.

Ah, that makes sense, so as to have a more diverse cast throughout each tournament, that is a good idea. Though I don't know how well it really fits for this sort of thing. I'd like to include more races, though I have nearly every humanoid already on there. There is the possibility to mod in new races.

I'll think on it!

vityav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 16, 2015, 12:08:57 pm »

Now I may just be dumb, but how exactly is it supposed to work? I've spawned gladiators in the fortification walled in floor, but no water ever flows onto it.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't get water flow, but here's what it looks like for me:
Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)

On the left, in the faucet thing, is where I start them, and on the right is the level below with the fortifications where they inevitably end up fighting. It certainly needs a lot of improvement to be a gladiatorial combat arena (almost too easy to get thrown through a fortification and drown), but I thought it was an interesting proof of concept for the style.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 16, 2015, 12:18:13 pm »

It was actually due to the way that I got it off of pastebin. It works now! And I do like the concept quite a bit. By the next tournament it shall be another stage, after a little sprucing up. Thanks for that!

Next up we've got another match of David and Goliath, Kobold and Minotaur!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 12:23:27 pm by Unraveller »

Tesseract

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 16, 2015, 12:24:36 pm »

I'm honestly scared by the whip guys and the quadra-shield ant-woman. That last fight was brutal. I was really hoping that Pliskin would get a taste of Steapa. I'm going to have to settle for Crundle Bites.

BigHatLogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 16, 2015, 12:27:11 pm »

Was the bug where whips punched through armor like butter ever fixed?

Tesseract

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 16, 2015, 12:28:03 pm »

I don't think so!

BigHatLogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 16, 2015, 12:29:34 pm »

Hmm, maybe that's something to consider as a restriction for the next tournament.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 16, 2015, 12:30:52 pm »

Loser's Qualifiers, Match II
Varick the Flighty VS. Asbjorn The Elf-Eater

Gladiator's! Turn your attention to the arena where you'll see one of the tiniest of fellows face off against one of the largest and meanest! Varick was defeated in the very first match by another Kobold, can he make up for it today? And Asbjorn was embarrassed to lose to a stout little dwarf named Chickenkicker! Who will redeem themselves? Let us find out!

Spoiler: Battle Gif (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Battle Log (click to show/hide)

Freakin' Brütal this little Kobold lived up to his name, leaping into the air and bringing down sweet separation! Both of Asbjorn's arms were severed clean off, the poor bastard, he'll never be able to show his face back home! Looks like it's the little guys you need to look out for!
[/b]

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 16, 2015, 12:32:37 pm »

At the very least, whips might need a higher cost to compensate.

BigHatLogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 16, 2015, 12:38:13 pm »

Excellent displays by Narhtan and Varick. This looks like a good day for the underdogs.

At the very least, whips might need a higher cost to compensate.

Scourges might need to be included in that, too.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 45