Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How do you introduce someone to Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 5659 times)

Unit88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you introduce someone to Dwarf Fortress?
« on: May 14, 2015, 09:47:23 am »

I want to show my friend how awesome Dwarf Fortress is, so he becomes interested in it enough so that he'll learn how to play, but I don't know how. I tried finding a fan-made trailer or something but nothing came up.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you introduce someone to Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 09:53:01 am »

Show him a Megaproject.
Then play with him.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 10:10:34 am »

Any legendary animators around or will we have to wait for one to migrate here?
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Unit88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 10:38:56 am »

Any legendary animators around or will we have to wait for one to migrate here?
Oh I see, what you did there :D
Show him a Megaproject.
Then play with him.
I checked out the megprojects and although they seem interesting I don't think this'll be enough. Also by play with him do you mean sit next to him as he starts playing? Because we can't really do that and I know that I wouldn't be able to show DF's awesomeness at all.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 11:00:36 am »

No, ask him to watch you. And ask for suggestions on what to do next.

besides, if he is interested in D&D or Lotr or fantasy in general, try to do something linked to his interests. i.e., a Durin's Bridge, a Tavern, a Tomb of Horror dungeon.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Unit88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 11:22:03 am »

No, ask him to watch you. And ask for suggestions on what to do next.

besides, if he is interested in D&D or Lotr or fantasy in general, try to do something linked to his interests. i.e., a Durin's Bridge, a Tavern, a Tomb of Horror dungeon.
Although the idea is really good the problem is that we can't really meet (too far) and the reason behind me not being to show the awesomeness is that I never got anywhere with DF, which I'm trying to remedy currently.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 11:51:06 am »

The answer to your question is "Boatmurdered".  Follow up with "Battlefailed", and then hit him with "Deathgate, the Doom Fortress", maybe throw in "Towersoared" for contrast.  If he doesn't want to try it out after that, there is no hope.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 12:00:51 pm »

The answer to your question is "Boatmurdered".  Follow up with "Battlefailed", and then hit him with "Deathgate, the Doom Fortress", maybe throw in "Towersoared" for contrast.  If he doesn't want to try it out after that, there is no hope.

This. I tried DF once and was baffled by the arcane symbols and monolothic menus. Then, months later, I read Boatmurdered and immediately was desperate to play the game. Also find him a nice walkthrough tutorial. I don't know if there are any out for DF2014 though.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Jorn Stones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 12:15:07 pm »

1: keep laughing maniacly whenever you make a bunch of goblins die.

2: refer him to the awesome stories/plays of other people

3: keep saying how much fun this game is

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 12:18:15 pm »

I was going to say, the same way you teach them to swim: slam their head into the wall, toss them into the water, and yell that they need to kick. But showing them what happened in Boatmurdered works too.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Unit88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 12:38:40 pm »

I thought about that and I will probably send it to him, but I'm afraid that he won't get around to actually reading it.
I was going to say, the same way you teach them to swim: slam their head into the wall, toss them into the water, and yell that they need to kick. But showing them what happened in Boatmurdered works too.
I'm 100% sure that wouldn't go too well.

This. I tried DF once and was baffled by the arcane symbols and monolothic menus. Then, months later, I read Boatmurdered and immediately was desperate to play the game. Also find him a nice walkthrough tutorial. I don't know if there are any out for DF2014 though.
Yeah, I'm definitely gonna have to find a good tutorial.

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands a glass bed? Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 01:21:46 pm »

I suggest getting them drunk, forcing them to dig an unsafe pit while vomiting and then releasing the honey badgers.

Or this guy has some good let's play stuff. https://www.youtube.com/user/Nagidal146
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." - Oscar Wilde

Unit88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 01:48:19 pm »

I suggest getting them drunk, forcing them to dig an unsafe pit while vomiting and then releasing the honey badgers.

Or this guy has some good let's play stuff. https://www.youtube.com/user/Nagidal146
How did I not think of that first option? It's so obvious :D
Although if I remember right he doesn't like let's plays

Unit88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 02:17:55 pm »

I love how after I sent him Boarmurdered he decided he doesn't want to play because he has "enough games to play" and "it's too complicated to add to the list". I guess this ship sank, but thanks for the suggestions anyway. If anybody has other good ideas, please post them still it'll probably come in handy later.

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 02:35:32 pm »

Maybe showing him the object testing arena?

Make 700 undead keas fight a bronze colossus (I think the keas didn't win, but they tore out the colossuses eyeballs, last I tried. It was fun to watch though.)?

That's what made me get back into DF. It's fun to pretend to be a god in that mode, where the actual game can wind up being a lot of "fun", whether or not that's good in your opinion is up to you.

You should probably also show him a version with a new tileset, since the ASCII can, and usually does scare people.

Lastly, tell him that failing miserably is part of the fun.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"
Pages: [1] 2 3