Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Solved] Why won't they build the electrum armor stand?  (Read 961 times)

Wyozenzuzex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[Solved] Why won't they build the electrum armor stand?
« on: May 12, 2015, 05:05:10 pm »

I've got a noble clamoring for an electrum armor stand in his room. No problem, really, except that my dwarves refuse to build the darn thing.

I've got 8 electrum bars, they're nearby, not forbidden, and in the same quantum stockpile which has been feeding the magma forges with steel bars for my armor & weapon industry. It's not designated to "give" to the forges though.

Just in case, I've removed all my borrow designations, after removing all dwarves from those burrows of course.
I had a stockpile feeding one of the forges, I've since deleted it. The job blocks at both forges anyway.

I've wracked my brain trying to think of any other reason they'd not do it, but come up blank.

If they lacked the metal, I'd get a cancellation notice, and they'd cancel the job. But the job just sits there, blocking further work at the forge.

All I've come up with is that it's acting like nobody has the proper labor enabled, but I've tried all the labors I can think of to no avail. The required labor is blacksmithing according to what I've read on the wiki. I've enabled blacksmithing on various and sundry dwarves (including those who make my steel armor at said magma forge.) I've also tried metalcrafting and every other labor I could find that might possibly be relevant. Is there some other labor associated with making metal furniture that I've just missed?

Help?

Suggestions?

[Edit:Solved]
No dwarves had any skill at blacksmithing, and the magma forge was profiled to a minimum skill level of "adequate".
Thank you, Loci
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 03:49:33 pm by Wyozenzuzex »

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: Why won't they build the electrum armor stand?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 08:59:43 pm »

Black smithing labor (non-active military).
Burrows.
Stockpile settings.
Cancellation messages.
Alerts.
Forbidden status.
Pathing (locked doors, etc.).
Forge settings (skills, dwarf assignments).

After your burrow/labor/etc. changes, instead of waiting, hit the "do now" button on the job.  If you're still stumped, upload a save - sometimes it's just easier.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:08:11 pm by Dwarfu »

Wyozenzuzex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:22:13 am »

Black smithing labor (non-active military).
Burrows.
Stockpile settings.
Cancellation messages.
Alerts.
Forbidden status.
Pathing (locked doors, etc.).
Forge settings (skills, dwarf assignments).
I believe all of these (save cancellation messages) are covered by "I enabled the blacksmithing labor on the dwarf that IS willing to make armor at THAT particular forge."

I have seen no cancelation messages related to this, and the job is not cancelled.

I have "Do it now!" set on the job.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10851

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 01:10:46 pm »

Some stubborn dwarves will dawdle before responding to jobs - I assume you waited a loooong time, but still, some dwarves are just too stupid stubborn dwarfish for their own good.

You could try turning off his labor and canceling the job orders, unpausing the game for a moment, then re-laboring him, unpausing, then re-ordering - might be superstitious, but it seems to work on occasion in situations like this. Game just borfs sometimes.

(Dwarf Therapist is really handy for stuff like this btw - recommended! Not even "cheating", just a gui that's FAR more use-friendly than navigating the asciii menus. Doubly nice once you customize a screen or two to your tastes.)

Other than that - dunno.  :(

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 02:04:17 pm »

In your save the only available magma forge is profiled to allow only "adequate" or better workers. Since you have no "adequate" blacksmith, there is no dwarf which can accept and perform the job. Removing the profile allowed a dabbling blacksmith to construct the armor stand.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 02:41:29 pm »

Ah, the old "workshop profile" prohibition.

Nice save.   ;)

Wyozenzuzex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [Solved] Why won't they build the electrum armor stand?
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 03:50:38 pm »

Solved. Thank you. That was quite frustrating, and a subtle gotcha.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: [Solved] Why won't they build the electrum armor stand?
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 08:36:57 pm »

Forge settings (skills....

Glad to have helped.