Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible for statues to not fully mistify a waterfall?  (Read 1364 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile

Say for example, I am harnessing the ocean for my amusement.  Is there ever a case where the force of a downpour would not completely dissipate when dropped atop a statue?

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible for statues to not fully mistify a waterfall?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 09:18:27 pm »

Statues dissipate downpours? Since when? I don't see anything on the wiki about this.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 09:37:13 pm »

That's the way I have always built my mist generators, don't know of any simpler method.  Sometimes I need floor grates around the statue to drain any run-off, but nothing significant.  However, I have never dealt with such a massive water source before, hence my query.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 01:39:04 am »

You can take a single tile of water and move it from statue to statue with pumps:
Code: [Select]
Ω++Ω   .%%.
++++   %..%
++++   %..%
Ω++Ω   .%%.

Z+0    Z+1
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 10:01:38 am »

You can take a single tile of water and move it from statue to statue with pumps:
Code: [Select]
Ω++Ω   .%%.
++++   %..%
++++   %..%
Ω++Ω   .%%.

Z+0    Z+1
I'm not sure that qualifies as simpler, lol.  Definitely more Dwarfy though :p

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 03:56:47 pm »

Say for example, I am harnessing the ocean for my amusement.  Is there ever a case where the force of a downpour would not completely dissipate when dropped atop a statue?

What...!

That's the way I have always built my mist generators, don't know of any simpler method.  Sometimes I need floor grates around the statue to drain any run-off, but nothing significant.  However, I have never dealt with such a massive water source before, hence my query.

WHAT!!! I had no idea, this is amazing. The things you learn.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 02:32:30 pm »

In case any Dwarf was still wondering, the answer to my original question is 'yes'.  If a water source is massive enough, it will easily accumulate around the statue, creating lethal pockets of 3+ water.  Back to the drawing board then :(

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 02:59:16 pm »

I had a problem similar to this (pumps push an IMMENSE amount of water out), and solved it by pumping the water into a channel that then split into multiple branches, dividing the output (and dumping the unwanted water elsewhere). Took a little experimentation*, but I finally got the desired thru-put for a "safe" waterfall after about 3 splits, iirc (but that was several versions ago).

(* Floodgates were critical to quickly fine-tune the variables during testing - once I found the right mix, I just left them in that position, but they also let me turn on/off the water for later modifications/changes "downstream" - and there were now several diff "streams" available to play with.)