Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cats  (Read 1294 times)

jaw2233

• Bay Watcher
  • forgetting which switch does what since *BLAM* ow!
    • View Profile
cats
« on: May 11, 2015, 05:09:14 pm »

I thought I would make this thread because I noticed a severe lack of cat oriented threads. Just share your ridiculous experiences with cats!

once i had made a garbage atom-smasher. the load was finished and finaly, the secont before activating, a stray cat pounces on a dead rat and -PYOOM- No more kitty.
I sincerely apologize for whatever happened above this.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cats
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 05:20:34 pm »

My cats have recently been downsized in favor of peregrine falcons. They've now been relegated to to cavern exploration.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 06:53:01 pm »

My cats seem to be around for all the worst mining accidents but always survive due to their innate swimming ability.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:19:02 pm »

That is why I always locked the door to the smasher room.

By the way, vermins like your garbage dump zone so your cat was just doing its duty, it was not just some dead rat.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 07:59:59 pm »

I made a cat fountain by mistake recently. The mayor and his brood of cat and kittens went up a tree, presumably fruit picking, then a woodcutter came through and cut the tree down. I happened to be watching at the time (trying to get the woodcutter not to do what he was obviously about to do) but too late. Injured felines, and injured mayor (it appears he landed on his hands). They all fell out of the tree, rather slowly, so it seemed to be raining cats and kittens at ground level.

Another time I had some cats, dogs, and other animals attack a giant with their dwarf companions. The dwarfs were picked up by the giant, stripped, and their clothing was strewn about before they themselves were thrown. The animals, including the cats, were just thrown across the screen. This injured some dwarfs and some animals, but the cats, as far as I know, all just landed on their feet and attacked the giant again at a run. I was picking up discarded clothing on the surface for ages.

I also always stable a kitten down at magma level where the magmaforges are, otherwise they all wander about on the surface, and the vermin gets insane down at level -150 or so. Dwarfs who like cats are also encouraged to be porters or messengers, travelling the levels as much as possible. They work as verminsweepers, like the Pied Piper of Hamelin...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 09:13:10 pm »

I made a cat fountain by mistake recently. The mayor and his brood of cat and kittens went up a tree, presumably fruit picking, then a woodcutter came through and cut the tree down. I happened to be watching at the time (trying to get the woodcutter not to do what he was obviously about to do) but too late. Injured felines, and injured mayor (it appears he landed on his hands). They all fell out of the tree, rather slowly, so it seemed to be raining cats and kittens at ground level.

Another time I had some cats, dogs, and other animals attack a giant with their dwarf companions. The dwarfs were picked up by the giant, stripped, and their clothing was strewn about before they themselves were thrown. The animals, including the cats, were just thrown across the screen. This injured some dwarfs and some animals, but the cats, as far as I know, all just landed on their feet and attacked the giant again at a run. I was picking up discarded clothing on the surface for ages.

I also always stable a kitten down at magma level where the magmaforges are, otherwise they all wander about on the surface, and the vermin gets insane down at level -150 or so. Dwarfs who like cats are also encouraged to be porters or messengers, travelling the levels as much as possible. They work as verminsweepers, like the Pied Piper of Hamelin...

Trees appear to have some sort of maniacal grudge against my dwarfs. Those highwoods in particular. No less than five dwarfs of Diedbolts have been slain by "The highwood log collides with Urist McUrists Head. It erupts in an explosion of gore!"

My dwarfs don't even go outside often. One of them got my metalsmith when he was on break... outside, for some reason? The trees, man. Probably full of elves.

jaw2233

• Bay Watcher
  • forgetting which switch does what since *BLAM* ow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 05:45:48 am »

my workers are always distracted because they just LOVE to clean up the corpses my cats bring up.
also, one kittin almost got spit on by a fb. the army managed to bring it down though! and the cat was saved!
I sincerely apologize for whatever happened above this.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 01:44:36 pm »

You mean your cats are more than just roasts?..

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 02:03:15 pm »

They're useful.  They catch vermin which would be gnawing their food.  Something I'm sure you already know.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 03:12:15 pm »

Trees appear to have some sort of maniacal grudge against my dwarfs. Those highwoods in particular. No less than five dwarfs of Diedbolts have been slain by "The highwood log collides with Urist McUrists Head. It erupts in an explosion of gore!"

My dwarfs don't even go outside often. One of them got my metalsmith when he was on break... outside, for some reason? The trees, man. Probably full of elves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 03:44:42 pm »

TREEEEEES

It's odd, because I've never had a dwarf hit by the falling tree. Closest I've come is a rain of cats.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 04:10:30 pm »

I just dropped(<--sent on exploring, really!) a kitten down a 113 z level deep hole in the caverns.

Seems like it didnt land on its feet...