Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: [SG] War for Mars  (Read 10865 times)

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] War for Mars
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2015, 10:54:11 pm »

I think that Oates should get sight of the IFV and fire on it. Cricket (or anybody) needs report the sighting of the tank and other dropship to Marble 1-Actual. Gavin should get ready to help Oates reload. Everyone else can just sit tight.
Max avatar size is 80x80

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2015, 10:04:02 am »

IFVs are not tanks.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2015, 01:30:57 pm »

A good number are made out of tanks/based on tanks though. Case in point, the BTR-T
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2015, 06:28:39 pm »

From what I heard from GUNIN the vehicle isn't moving so I shall suggest a change of plans.

Advance up the hill slowly, and get into place to hit it with an HE. If the HE misses or doesn't down it have Oates ready with the launcher to take it out.
I think that Oates should get sight of the IFV and fire on it. Cricket (or anybody) needs report the sighting of the tank and other dropship to Marble 1-Actual. Gavin should get ready to help Oates reload. Everyone else can just sit tight.

Since there's no majority, I'm just going to combine these and have Gavin and Oates go over the hill while someone reports the GEV and the other dropship. Oates will prepare to fire, then Gavin will throw an HE grenade and see what effect it has, then Oates will fire. And if the GEV is still active they'll stick around and try to reload and fire again.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2015, 07:09:57 pm »

Sounds like a good plan.
Max avatar size is 80x80

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2015, 09:22:31 pm »

Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2015, 09:44:18 pm »

Best plan we got so onward Oates, don't chicken out.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2015, 09:46:56 pm »

Sounds like a good plan.
Meh, +1
Uh, well it's never too late to suggest a different plan, if you have some ideas.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2015, 12:37:13 am »

There was a slight pause as nearly half a minute ticked by. I didn't have to consider the situation for more than a few seconds to figure out what was going to happen next, but I spent the rest of that time, like anybody faced with the possibility of sure death, trying to talk myself out of it. I was a performer, one foot planted on solid platform and the other hovering over the tightrope. My foot descended, and I could feel how thin the wire was even through my orange drab combat boots.

"Alright... Beem, hand over a couple HEs. Oates, leave your carbine and prep the launcher." I put down my own rifle. It wouldn't be much use.

"Uh, someone also needs to call this in to Actual, and that downed dropship too. Probably just full of deaders but we've gotta check it anyhow to be sure."

"Careful, Gav." Artoka offered sincerely as he passed me the hand grenades.

I hung them one at a time from the pockets of my combat vest by the spoons. I didn't need to look at his face to see that he knew as well as I did why this needed to be done. Cricket was busy calling Actual and didn't look worried; Beem was grimacing, and Toric was solemn as ever. No one offered any objections. Not even Oates, who had gone from beet red to ghost white as he fiddled with the Avenger's guidance package. I hoped he wouldn't vomit.

"Alright; come on dude, let's get stuck in." I grabbed Oates and he finished slinging the launcher across his back without saying a word. He came along well enough.

We climbed the 10 or so meters to the top of the hill, then went prone as we came onto the peak so we could be sure that the IFV was still in the same spot. Sure enough, it was, but Cricket was wrong about it being an IFV. Half wrong, since it did have a troop compartment, but it was armed with four 20mm autocannons. Without taking my eyes off the vehicle I reached out with my hand to touch Oates, who was beside and slightly behind me. I pushed him gently and together we backed down a meter, then I faced him.

"That's not an IFV."

"Sorry...?" It was the first time he had spoken. His voice was deeper than I expected.

"It's an anti-air emplacement. The fans have been removed from the main engine. That must've been what killed that dropship. It chewed into them right as they were decelerating. I doubt there was much they could've done. That means that whatever shot us up is still around, but we'll take care of that later—"

I got up, my leg partly extended beneath me and my toe planted on the slope to keep myself from rolling down it, and pulled one of the HE grenades. Oates pushed himself up and pulled the launcher around from behind his back, then shouldered it gingerly.

"Hey Oates." He looked at me.

"Um, yeah corporal?" His voice quivered.

"I'm not a corporal— Er, acting corporal I guess. It doesn't matter. Look, just take a deep breath, buddy." He inhaled and let it out slowly.

"We're gonna be okay. Get a lock and shoot when the grenade pops. Can you do that?" He didn't look any more sure of himself but he nodded anyway, and we stood up together.

We came over the top running, or as close as we could approximate to it on the reduced gravity of this planet, but slowed as we reached the opposite slope, which we found to be nearly as steep as the side we were on before. Oates dug in his heels and flopped onto his rear, and I stopped looking at him as soon as I saw his head duck behind the launcher's scope. My eyes locked on the IFV—it still wasn't moving!—and I took a few more steps down the slope as I prepared to make my toss. Grenade in one hand, I grabbed at the pin with the other. The movement was mistakenly exaggerated and I wobbled, then lost my balance entirely as the ground gave beneath my boots. I managed to yank the pin out, but I was struggling to stay upright. More sand slid under my feet and I staggered. A curse fell from my mouth before I dropped face first into the sand. I rolled once and came back up smoothly, the grenade thankfully still clutched in my hand, but the damage was done, I had wasted precious seconds by falling.

I heard the mechanical whir before I saw the emplacement's turret track towards me, sand was still falling from my eyes and helmet, and my heart dropped into my stomach. "Fuck!" I opened my fist and the striker lever spun away and landed somewhere at my feet. Did Oates see me fall? He should've shot if he saw me fall—

"Shoot!" I hollered desperately as I threw the grenade somewhere in the armored vehicle's direction. I didn't see nor care where it landed and I started clambering back up the hill. I remembered something and opened my comm.

"OATES SHOOT IT!" I screamed. There was a detonation, it sounded hollow, and it was followed by another, bigger one, and I swear I could feel the heat on my back. In the same moment something hit me in the back of the head and I fell down again. I stopped moving and decided to lay there. I heard sand shifting above me.

"Hey!" Oates. He sounded excited, so I pulled my face out of the sand for the second time and looked up at him. He was beaming.

"We're not dead, Oates?"

"No, man. Look!" I rolled over. The vehicle was a smoking wreck. The top of it was torn away. I was feeling very confused.

"Uh, did you shoot it?" I couldn't tell if his launcher was loaded by looking at it.

"No! You took it out with the grenade!"

"Really? Wow." We sat there and watched it burn for a little bit.

Code: (USFA Rifle Section) [Select]
[Cover:None]   [Frags:10   Smoke:9   HE:4]

Gavin | Assistant Leader | MC:Stable  EXP:Line  PS:Healthy  STA:Rested | HK.1 Assault Rifle [125] AM-00 Missiles [2]

Toric | Squad Gunner | MC:Stable  EXP:Line  PS:Healthy  STA:Rested | PP.3 Squad Automatic Rifle [500]

Beem | Rifleman | MC:Stable  EXP:Line  PS:Wounded  STA:Rested | HK.1 Assault Rifle [125]

Artoka | Rifleman | MC:Stable  EXP:Line  PS:Wounded  STA:Rested | HK.1 Assault Rifle [125]

Cricket | Grenadier | MC:Stable  EXP:Recruit  PS:Healthy  STA:Rested | HK.1 Assault Rifle w/GL [120/4 Rifle Frags]

Oates | AT Gunner | MC:Stable  EXP:Recruit  PS:Healthy  STA:Winded | HK.1-B Carbine [150]  Avenger AM-00 [1]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:40:34 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2015, 02:00:57 am »

"Well ... uh ... Was not expecting that. Come on Oates, lets get back to rest of the group, and see what our next move is."

Head back to the rest of the forces gathered in our dropship's crash land trench.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2015, 01:51:29 pm »

"Well ... uh ... Was not expecting that. Come on Oates, lets get back to rest of the group, and see what our next move is."

Head back to the rest of the forces gathered in our dropship's crash land trench.
+1
Max avatar size is 80x80

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2015, 02:03:34 am »

By the way, this might give you an idea of what the Phobos mass driver looks like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Normally it's used for delivering cargo, Luna has one too, and the Martians didn't have to modify it at all to turn it into an anti-ship weapon.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:55:22 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2015, 09:16:39 am »

By the way, this might give you an idea of what the Phobos mass driver looks like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Normally it's used for delivering cargo, Luna has one too, and the Martians didn't have to modify it at all to turn it into an anti-ship weapon.

For some reason your post was borked, and what i just did somehow fixed it.

I think the internet is creating shenanigans.
Highly Opinionated Fool

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2015, 12:36:51 pm »

a) it didn't.
b) it seems like it's one of those sites that don't like hot-linking.
b.1) but unlike normal sites, which will show you an image saying "no hotlinks, freeloader", this one just doesn't return anything.

edit: hm, curious. I can see this one, but not either of you guys'.
Spoiler:  rehosted now (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:38:43 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2015, 09:50:29 pm »

Wierd.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7