Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: [SG] War for Mars  (Read 10883 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] War for Mars
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2015, 08:28:20 pm »

Well, I was making a silly joke like "Did he even learned how to fire that?"
You would be surprised by how little actual training soldiers get (in my country). It's a running joke around here.
Yeah, the actual plan sounds "marginally not horrible" so it might work(somewhat). I think we must see what happens to the enemy squad moving to the flank before deciding were to go. What do you think?
In a time before time, I had a name.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2015, 07:26:51 am »

Cricket confirmed for not having passed high school.
I must have missed that...

So, Gav, I'm a bit of a "visual learner" - The reporter said, quickly scribbling in his notepad - and here's what I'm assuming is going on. With you guys here, and the martians off to the South. Is this roughly what it looked like?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2015, 12:24:08 pm »

So, Gav, I'm a bit of a "visual learner" - The reporter said, quickly scribbling in his notepad - and here's what I'm assuming is going on. With you guys here, and the martians off to the South. Is this roughly what it looked like?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The hill was directly to the second squad's east, and according to the scale you've got here the trench was much longer, about 40m, but yeah you get the general idea.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2015, 08:49:24 am »

alright then. let's go with the established plan. suppress one group, shoot up the other for real. I'm still not sure what hill was mentioned, so maybe we can stay in the trench for now.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2015, 11:26:23 am »

Side note: Effective range means that is the maximum you can really expect to hit something in. Grenade launcher is unlikely to work.

That said, being flanked is bad. Suppression is good. Let's do that.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2015, 11:37:43 am »

Side note: Effective range means that is the maximum you can really expect to hit something in. Grenade launcher is unlikely to work.
This has already been noted.

I'm still not sure what hill was mentioned, so maybe we can stay in the trench for now.
Uhm, like I said, you got it mostly right with your drawing. Let me try explaining again: The hill is directly to the south, but it's not that close to the ship. The Martians at 200º are the ones who are trying to enfilade using the hill. It's directly to their East. If you drew a straight line south, starting from the good guys, and another straight line east starting from the Martians at 200º, then the point at which they intersect would be where the hill is located.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2015, 05:46:54 pm »

We should try to get on a hill...
Toric suppress the martians moving uphill, we need to slow them. Beem, Artoka and Gavin should try to clear the martians coming from the other hill. Have Cricket learned anything from school? Ask him if he can blown the remaining group with a grenade at that range. If not he will have to go hard way and pick them off one by one.
Also we must try to signal the other squads to advance to the trench. When there's only the enfilading unit remaining we see how are our chances of moving to high ground.
Lets go with Magistrum's plan.
alright then. let's go with the established plan. I'm still not sure what hill was mentioned, so maybe we can stay in the trench for now.
But since that's something we'd do only at the end, I feel like we're all in agreement. Let's do this. (it's been 3 days now)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2015, 05:55:22 pm »

Toric suppress the martians moving uphill, we need to slow them. Beem, Artoka and Gavin should try to clear the martians coming from the other hill. Have Cricket learned anything from school? Ask him if he can blown the remaining group with a grenade at that range. If not he will have to go hard way and pick them off one by one.
Also we must try to signal the other squads to advance to the trench. When there's only the enfilading unit remaining we see how are our chances of moving to high ground.

This is the plan.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2015, 06:03:06 pm »

Wonders why everyone is furiously examining his plan...
Yeah, I would like to get rid of the first martian squad before we get around the enfilading unity moving there.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2015, 05:23:52 pm »

So... is this dead or on hiatus?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2015, 07:01:35 pm »

So... is this dead or on hiatus?
Neither, I'm just a little busy. I have a lot of paid writing and drawing to do. I'll get the turn done when I have free time.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2015, 02:58:43 am »

I rapidly shout orders and my men react instantly. Artoka ignores his wound for the moment and picks up his rifle again to join Beem and I in combining our fire with the men from the rest of the chalk. Together we pick off the rest of the Martians to the East over the next two dozen seconds. I didn't see Toric reposition his gun but I could hear it clearly, punctuated by the hollow plunk of Cricket's rifle grenade launcher. My assault rifle clicked dry so I turned my head to observe the round's effect on the enemy while I reached for a fresh magazine, and just in time. There were already a few men fallen from Toric's gunfire, and when the grenade landed it threw the rest of the Martian squad to the ground, where they remained, motionless. Toric whooped and Cricket pumped his arm briefly in celebration, then slid the tube of his launcher forward and let the spent casing fall out of the breach, trailing smoke.

I had some time to regroup my thoughts while I finished reloading. The two Martian squads had been finished off quickly due to my men's bravery and the rest of the chalk's complacence in following our lead, but I was still warily on the lookout for whatever cannon had shot at us while we were still inside the landing boat. The rounds had come across us horizontally and I saw no heavy weapons among the infantry or an emplacement so I suspected some kind of ground vehicle. The remaining sergeants (I could only spy Esquire and Galiposhae but I only learned later that 1st Sgt. Felix had in fact been killed very early on) must have come to a similar conclusion because I saw them hollering at our two ATGM operators to get their missiles loaded.

"I was expecting a more substantial reception." Artoka remarked. A medic was quickly patching his shoulder and he growled in pain. "How fucking disappointing."

He was right. Only a platoon awaiting them? It didn't make a lot of sense. Could the Martians really be this disorganized? The rest of the chalk, about 80 people, mostly healthy, were spreading out along the trench and taking up defensive positions. The sergeants were both placing all of their attention on the two rookie ATGM operators, making sure their weapons were loaded properly, and assigning the squad gunners fields of fire. They were doing this job well in your opinion—these men were veterans too after all—but you were concerned that neither of them seemed to have any interest in attacking.

Code: (USFA Rifle Section) [Select]
[Cover:Heavy]   [Frags:10   Smoke:9   HE:5]

Hall | Leader | MC:---  EXP:---  PS:Dead  STA:--- | HK.1-B Carbine [150]

Gavin | Assistant | MC:Stable  EXP:Line  PS:Healthy  STA:Rested | HK.1 Assault Rifle [125]

Toric | Soldier | MC:Stable  EXP:Line  PS:Healthy  STA:Rested | PP.3 Squad Automatic Rifle [409]

Beem | Soldier | MC:Stable  EXP:Line  PS:Wounded  STA:Rested | HK.1 Assault Rifle [105]

Artoka | Soldier | MC:Stable  EXP:Line  PS:Wounded  STA:Rested | HK.1 Assault Rifle [120]

Cricket | Soldier | MC:Stable  EXP:Recruit  PS:Healthy  STA:Rested | HK.1 Assault Rifle w/GL [120/4 Rifle Frags]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:31:06 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2015, 12:35:44 pm »

Time to earn that field promotion.
Ask the other squads to resupply you (and, if possible, get some light AT weapon/ soldier attached) and lead your team on a scouting mission of the much discussed hill. Martians came from that direction, and it would make the most sense for the guns to be in that general area as well (I expect I don't need to explain why we're taking a hill.)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2015, 04:24:42 pm »

Time to earn that field promotion.
Ask the other squads to resupply you (and, if possible, get some light AT weapon/ soldier attached) and lead your team on a scouting mission of the much discussed hill. Martians came from that direction, and it would make the most sense for the guns to be in that general area as well (I expect I don't need to explain why we're taking a hill.)
Yeah, high ground rocks, I also don't think the martians would just go to the hill for firing position, there may be a trench or other asset there, we must expect that to be only some stray platoon or whatever, somebody brought our ship down and said body isn't between the ones in the visible piles here.
It would be good to know if the rest of the chalk have some kind of indirect fire weapon, since they could have armor behind the hill, or at least whatever it is that totaled our ship. The dunes seem to limit our view range, but they are most likely there.
Also, should we bold our suggestions?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2015, 05:46:04 pm »

-somebody brought our ship down and said body isn't between the ones in the visible piles here.

It would be good to know if the rest of the chalk have some kind of indirect fire weapon, since they could have armor behind the hill, or at least whatever it is that totaled our ship. The dunes seem to limit our view range, but they are most likely there.

Also, should we bold our suggestions?
No, that's not what happened. Your ship was shot up after it had landed. The landing boats that took fire while they were still flying down to the surface would have broken up in the atmosphere with little hope of survivors.

All you have in the way of indirect weapons are the rifle grenades.

Yes please.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7