Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Sex  (Read 8768 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Sex
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 10:12:11 am »

If you don't have a dining hall, dwarves on break will hang out in their rooms, never building relationships.
Without relationships, there are no dwarf babies.

Rooms?  Dwarfs are supposed to have rooms?  Normally they just hang out at the wagon.  I have to keep the wagon, too, if I don't, then the migrants just stand on the edge of the map until something eats them.  And wagons are no good for making babies.

Wagons are perfect that it also help slow down cave adaptation, unless you put a roof over it

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 01:07:44 pm »

I never realized roofs were a problem!  On the rare occasions that I do provide a place to live, I make my dwarves live in wooden towers, for the light! 

I shall have to rethink things.

Perhaps outdoor bunks, and then I remove the roof later, so they get the full sun while they sleep.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 02:25:23 pm »

Covering outdoor areas with artificial roofs will not restrict light or cause cave adaptation; it will continue to be considered "above ground, light" even if it becomes "indoors"
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 03:11:31 pm »

Not true.  Someone else's rigorous experimentation in IRC proved that his 'light' barracks was not fighting cave adaptation at all.  If it's not outside, it doesn't work.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 05:52:53 pm »

Dwarves are clearly a race of exhibitionists. They refer to bum beards in dining rooms so that they can maximize the amount of observes and catch a quick snack, but if ush comes to shove they can be put into the mood by the immobile gazes of statues.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 07:58:05 pm »

Not true.  Someone else's rigorous experimentation in IRC proved that his 'light' barracks was not fighting cave adaptation at all.  If it's not outside, it doesn't work.
My understanding is that "light" stops the worsening of cave adaptation, while "outside" reverses it (in DF 2014).

DF 2012 (and earlier) is (are) a different story, "light" was enough to reverse cave adaptation back then.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 08:50:44 pm »

My understanding is that "light" stops the worsening of cave adaptation, while "outside" reverses it (in DF 2014).

DF 2012 (and earlier) is (are) a different story, "light" was enough to reverse cave adaptation back then.
Correct.

"Dark" = Raises cave adaptation by 1 per tick
"Outside" = Reduces cave adaptation by 10 per tick
"Inside Light" = Cave adaptation stays at current level

Building roofs over surface areas will give you Inside Light areas.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2015, 08:53:13 pm »

If you don't have a dining hall, dwarves on break will hang out in their rooms, never building relationships.
Without relationships, there are no dwarf babies.

Rooms?  Dwarfs are supposed to have rooms?  Normally they just hang out at the wagon.  I have to keep the wagon, too, if I don't, then the migrants just stand on the edge of the map until something eats them.  And wagons are no good for making babies.

Sounds like it's about time someone heard about the (m)eeting zone...

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 08:55:54 pm »

The wagon is a one of a kind majestic being, the true hero of a fortress. Why wouldn't you keep the poor beast alive!?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2015, 09:39:36 pm »

^This is why I build shrines around them, though I recently figured out how to move them so I could dig out an engraved room inside a mountain for my wagon to reside in. Gotta make sure you change all of the coordinates properly though, I accidentally left the second y value too high once and it stretched the wagon causing it to do the psychadelic flashing stuff.

Also love the idea of exhibitionist dorfs getting in the mood because of statues.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 04:04:36 pm »

Cover the entire embark with wagon.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 09:52:36 pm »

Cover the entire embark with wagon.
Never go full wagon
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I used gm-editor to change the wagon coordinates from x 48~50 and y 48~50 to x 1~90 and y 1~90 then hit reveal and unpaused.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2015, 09:34:08 am »

Never go full wagon

I used gm-editor to change the wagon coordinates from x 48~50 and y 48~50 to x 1~90 and y 1~90 then hit reveal and unpaused.

So what would happen if you deconstructed it?  :P
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2015, 09:54:55 am »

The fort will be blessed with wagon wood everywhere?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 02:37:32 pm »

Let's find out!
*click*
*unpause*
*dorf finishes job*