Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Video Games to play with my Mom  (Read 3507 times)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Video Games to play with my Mom
« on: May 11, 2015, 11:10:45 am »

So my mom has randomly and adorably decided that she wants to play a video game with me, and I'm having a bit of a hard time meeting her criteria, so I'm asking you for advice.

Basically, she wants to find a game that we can play co-op, whether through LAN or hotseat. She would prefer a game with exploration, and one that doesn't require fine-motor skills or fast reflexes. A few years back we played Diablo 2 together and she had a hard time with that game because there were too many enemies on screen, for instance. She apparently used to like Civilization a long time back, but only during the early game when she was exploring the world, and then she'd get bored because she wasn't fond of the micro-management. Know of any games like this?
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Video Games to play with my Mom
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 11:12:09 am »

Portal 2?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 11:22:53 am »

IDK, a lot of Portal and Portal 2 require some pretty rapid sequence-running that'd clash with the "weak fine motor skills and reflexes". Might work, though, depending on just where Robo's mum falls in the range of natural ability.

The really obvious suggestion would be to get Minecraft with one of the better biome mods and play it either at the safest difficulty (and enemies off) or the lowest difficulty with enemies, depending on whether or not she's okay with the day/night cycle fighting.

I'm trying to think of other, similar build-and-explore games, but most of the good ones have combat pretty heavily integrated. An Elder Scrolls game on a lower difficulty setting might actually fit the bill, since most of the dangers aren't related to swarms of enemies, and you can (broadly speaking) avoid most of the hardest encounters.

Eufloria doesn't quite hit on mark for your desired qualities, but it's pretty as all get-out, relatively laid back, and quite fun to play.

Bastion might be a bit too Diablo-esque in terms of the gameplay, but it's centered around exploration and storytelling, and has fantastic visual and aural qualities.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 11:41:37 am »

Crypt of the Necrodancer and have her play Bard.

She'd probably be able to grasp Starbound easier than Minecraft.

Get a SNES emulator and play through Secret of Mana. I can't think of many multiplayer rpg's for SNES.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 11:58:13 am »

Sounds like Minecraft would be perfect honestly.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 12:11:59 pm »

Once you turn off threats in Minecraft there isn't much to do. Map generation as it is is not very interesting.

Local multiplayer co-op's: http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Local%20Multiplayer/#tag[]=1685&p=0&tab=NewReleases

Casual Co-op's: http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Casual/#category[]=9&p=0&tab=NewReleases

Co-op's: http://www.gog.com/games##sort=bestselling&mode=coop&page=1
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:18:20 pm by BigD145 »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 12:21:15 pm »

That's why I mentioned biome mods and maybe leaving it on the lowest threats-present difficulty setting (depending on whether his mum's problem with Diablo was with the volume of enemies).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 12:30:15 pm »

If the Nifflas games (Knytt, Knytt Stories etc.) were multiplayer those could be good, while there are enemies there's no combat and most of the entire premise of the game is exploration.

There's Moonbase Alpha which is good once or twice and not very stressful at all, and it's free. (Just too bad there's not much to do in it.)

There's also Worms in numerous iterations, but I forget if it's possible to play on 'teams' or not. It's an artillery game.

I can't really think of many good local/splitscreen/hotseat co-op games. Minecraft might be good if you like exploration. Terraria might be good if you like games...

emulator
If you don't mind playing on an emulator of some sort that opens up your options a bit, but even then I can't think of any good co-op games that would be suitable as most of them are action-heavy.

EDIT: Maybe Dungeon Defenders? You can sort of choose to have your 'towers' do most of the work but there's still a fair bit of fighting personally, but it's not as hectic feeling as Orcs Must Die 2.

Trine may be a good candidate as well but I've never gotten to play it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:33:31 pm by OzyTheSage »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 12:40:23 pm »

I had some fun playing heaven and earth with my mom, but we quit when the griefing became too much to handle.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 12:42:56 pm »

goat sim is good for exploration and assorted silliness
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 12:53:16 pm »

Maybe check other civilization games? Additionally you could play "coop" by forming 2 cooperating civs against the AI.
"Call to power" allows hotseat for example.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 01:00:08 pm »

Maybe check other civilization games? Additionally you could play "coop" by forming 2 cooperating civs against the AI.
"Call to power" allows hotseat for example.
V springs to mind. V against low-med AI doesn't require much micro compared to earlier games.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 04:09:53 pm »

Sim City
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 04:34:37 pm »

Portal 2.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 10:15:45 pm »

Stanley parable is fun. The telltale games, especially Wolf Among Us are great for not-typical gamers since they are so comfortably cinematic.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: [1] 2 3